Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Nismo Vs 350z

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Once again saying that a specific suspension has a higher spring rate than another means absolutely NADA, unless they are using the same exact damper. In addition, Solo I can tell from your post that you think very highly of your vehicle and that is wonderful as you should be proud of the vehicle you have purchased through funds obtained from hard work (I assume). However, unfortunately your statement that I have quoted below is incorrect.

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
The NISMO responds faster, tighter, and is more responsive than a normal 350z will ever be. That is due to the structure reinforcements it has that a normal 350z does not.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:53 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Never been in a car with Zeals, but on here someone listed all the Spring rates and the NISMO stock suspension had the highest spring rate out of all the aftermarket ones available. Suspension will not be the only thing to help a car handle, it's in the structure of the body of the car itself that you can not change to a stock 350z that the NISMO has without some serious cash.
I think you are talking about this thread and G35sedan's response.

https://my350z.com/forum/nismo-350z/...r-nismo-z.html
Old 01-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, the suspension that comes equipped on the NISMO Edition Z does NOT have the highest spring rates compared to aftermarket suspensions. If anything, the suspension on the NISMO Edition Z is a lot more conservative compared to a lot coilovers that are on the market. I'm going to have to concur with Kwame here; no doubt the NISMO Edition Z surpasses performance capabilities compared to the regular 350Z's but you can easily mod a regular 350Z to outperform the NISMO Edition Z is every aspect of performance. The reinforced chassis does help but the difference isn't phenomenal compared to a normal 350Z.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:57 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
Once again saying that a specific suspension has a higher spring rate than another means absolutely NADA, unless they are using the same exact damper. In addition, Solo I can tell from your post that you think very highly of your vehicle and that is wonderful as you should be proud of the vehicle you have purchased through funds obtained from hard work (I assume). However, unfortunately your statement that I have quoted below is incorrect.
How am I incorrect when a 350z will never have seam welds on the body/chassis unless they spend a ton of money having it done, it won't have the responsiveness as a NISMO does. My car has been driven by SCCA 350Z owners at Road courses and they all were surprised how well my car did compared to their race prepared 350Z. Don't underestimate the NISMO especially if you never have taken one on the track to it's full potential.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:00 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by Andy@Performance
First of all, the suspension that comes equipped on the NISMO Edition Z does NOT have the highest spring rates compared to aftermarket suspensions. If anything, the suspension on the NISMO Edition Z is a lot more conservative compared to a lot coilovers that are on the market. I'm going to have to concur with Kwame here; no doubt the NISMO Edition Z surpasses performance capabilities compared to the regular 350Z's but you can easily mod a regular 350Z to outperform the NISMO Edition Z is every aspect of performance. The reinforced chassis does help but the difference isn't phenomenal compared to a normal 350Z.
Looks to me like it does other than one in that list. Funny, because like I said, people have driven my car to it's limits on the track, and they have raced prepped cars with roll cages, and my car can shine just as good if not better per them. The suspension is tuned for the car and the body unlike any aftermarket suspension you just slap on it might make it stiffer but doesn't mean it will help the car handle that much better.

Again the body stiffness that was added is very noticeable. You won't notice it on the street but definitely on the track where counts. I also race with the Z clubs in Texas, and on cruises and for some odd reason my car can take the turns about 15-20mph faster seriously than the other 350z with suspension aftermarket mods done to them and my car is stock. They always talk about how I can take turns so much faster than them.

-------

Why would anyone that has a special version of a sports car, that has specific changes done to it to enhance what the car is, install much softer springs just to improve the looks of the car? I mean it toally goes against why you paid extra for the car in the first place.

Nismo Z
*Spring rates 424/576
* according to the factory the car uses springs that are +35% stiffer then oem

Tanabe GF210 Series 350Z progressive springs 1”/1.2”
Spring rates in LBS 336/375 (only peak rates are published, softer initial progressive rates unknown

You cannot purchase lowering springs for the Nismo Z that will drop the car and be equal or better to the oem springs. If you must lower the car, do so with coilovers, one's that actually stand a chance of being better then the oem springs and shocks.

Eibach 350Z progressive springs 1”/1”
Spring rates in LBS initial/final front 296/384 initial/final rear 316/421

Eibach 350Z sportline progressive springs 1.2"/1.2"
F: 239/400 R: 257/435

RSR 350Z linear springs .6”/.6”
Spring rates in LBS 345/417

Hotchkis 350Z Linear springs .6”/.8”
Spring rates in lbs 340/330

Cobb tuning linear springs
drop 3/4" - 15/16"
Spring rates 436/535

Tein S-tech 350Z springs .7“.6“ (fronts are slightly progressive, rears are linear)
Spring rates in LBS 386/402 (estimated front intial rate is 327lbs)

Tein H-tech 350z linear springs .3”/.2”
Spring rates in LBS 358/375

Progress Technology progressive springs 1.0”/1.0”
Spring rates in LBS 425/385 (final rates only, softer intial front progressive rate unknown)

Tokico D-spec shock & spring package
350Z - DSK512 - 375f/375r - Linear Springs 1"/1.5"

Tanabe GF210 Series 350Z progressive springs 1”/1.2”
Spring rates in LBS 336/375 (only peak rates are published, softer initial progressive rates unknown)

Tanabe NF210 Series 350Z progressive springs 1.2”/1.2” higher
Spring rates in LBS 314/353

Skunk2 350Z progressive springs 1.3”/1”
Spring rate in LBS 238/381 237/395

Swift 350Z linear springs .8”/.6” drop on 350Z, G35 drop will be higher)
Spring rates in LBS 336/364

Swift 350Z Spec-R progressive springs 1.2”/1”
Spring rates in LBS intial/final Front: 291/392 Rear: 280/448

Nismo T2 350Z Linear springs 1”/1”
Spring rates in LBS 625/700

Vogtland 350z progressive springs 1”/1”
Spring rates in LBS initial/final front 257/354 initial/final rear 285/422

Kg/mm springs 350Z DR21 super sport 15mm drop
Spring rates in lbs initial/final front 246/398 initial/final rear 252/409

Kg/mm DRacing progressive springs 1.2”/1.2”
Spring rates in LBS initial/final front 252/454 initial/final rear 252/482 rear

Whiteline 350Z linear springs (control)
Front: Part # 73219,
Spring rate 365 LBS Drop: .8"-1"
Rear: Part # 73220
Spring rate 445LBS Drop: 1"-1.2"
(sold as 2 front springs and 2 rear springs)
www.whiteline.com.au/store/

Espelir 350Z progressive springs 10mm drop F&R
386/515 (softer initial progressive rates are unknown)

H&R sport progressive springs 350Z 1.3”/1” drop
Spring rates in LBS 370/400 (peak rates only, softer initial rates are unknown)

Last edited by SOLO-350Z; 01-15-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Coehsp350Z

Solo obiviously knows what hes talking about when he owns a Nismo Z. So i would have to agree with him. To me my stock Touring Z performs good for my daily driving in twists and turns.. +1 for SOLO-350Z
Old 01-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NightRider88
how would you compare Nismo suspension to Zeals?

you don't

it's like asking how do you compare an apple to an orange - both are fruits, but they are completely different in every aspect

Solo is right inasmuch as the NISMO version does have higher spring rates than just about any other SPRING sold on the aftermarket - but that really doesn't mean all that much considering it also has different shocks. The NISMO T2 spec springs (the ones you can buy from NISMO, not the ones that come on the NISMO car) are actually much stiffer than anything else out there I've seen

Anyway, this topic has been beaten to death about a bazillion times already, since before the NISMO Z was available to be purchased. Both are great cars, one is just more evolved from the factory floor than the other. Case closed

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 01-15-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:09 PM
NightRider88

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
you don't

it's like asking how do you compare an apple to an orange - both are fruits, but they are completely different in every aspect
could u fill me in as im very curious in this setup?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

fill you in on the differences between a coilover suspension and a standard NISMO?

other than the fact that you get 4 dampers and 4 springs with each, and they fit on all year Z's, there is nothing at all similar about them
Old 01-15-2009, 12:14 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

you don't

Solo is right inasmuch as the NISMO version does have higher spring rates than just about any other SPRING sold on the aftermarket - but that really doesn't mean all that much considering it also has different shocks. The NISMO T2 spec springs (the ones you can buy from NISMO, not the ones that come on the NISMO car) are actually much stiffer than anything else out there I've seen

Exactly. That is the one set I mentioned that the NISMO doesn't have higher spring rates over. All that combined with the chassis, makes a nice difference.

Glad this is back on topic. Let's try to keep it this way folks.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:15 PM
NightRider88

fill you in on the differences between a coilover suspension and a standard NISMO?

other than the fact that you get 4 dampers and 4 springs with each, and they fit on all year Z's, there is nothing at all similar about them
let me rephrase that question....will the zeals improve performance? or maybe im just not getting the answer correctly
Old 01-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

you improve the driver first, then change parts. If you're asking questions like this, in all liklihood you're a novice driver (not saying that in a disparaging way). You would be well served to learn how to drive the car you have, as it's potential will exceed your skill level. When your skill level exceeds the parts on the car, that is the time to change the parts
Old 01-15-2009, 12:21 PM
NightRider88

you improve the driver first, then change parts. If you're asking questions like this, in all liklihood you're a novice driver (not saying that in a disparaging way). You would be well served to learn how to drive the car you have, as it's potential will exceed your skill level. When your skill level exceeds the parts on the car, that is the time to change the parts

thats kind of the problem....i dont like pushing my car to the limit continuisly..more room for mistakes...hense why i want to upgrade my suspension...but im not saying theres isnt room for improvement on my part...as there always is room for improvement on the drivers side...
Old 01-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

what does pushing the car have to do with upgrading the suspension? If you cant currently outdrive the stock components of the car, then don't worry about upgrading it. There would'nt be much of a point

the car is far more capable than you are at this point - when those 2 roles are reversed, that's when you upgrade parts
Old 01-15-2009, 12:40 PM
350z 7k
Banned

I agree with Z1 David just wait untill a track day to see if you really need the suspension if all the want is a lower ride height id go with springs. and upgrade your sways would help
Old 01-15-2009, 12:43 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

IF your not driving the car to the full potential what would raising the potential even more do?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:46 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
IF your not driving the car to the full potential what would raising the potential even more do?
Mainly people do it only for looks and partially for handling. Having more suspension movement will help keep the car a bit more stable over bumps and turns so it doesn't bounce/hop over them like if your car is lowered.

Lowering your car too much can actually have negative effects towards the handling on the car and could cause it to handle worse. You need some movement.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:56 PM
zBear

Originally Posted by NightRider88
let me rephrase that question....will the zeals improve performance? or maybe im just not getting the answer correctly
The Zeals will definitely exceed performance over factory Nismo suspension. I am talking direct swap of struts/shocks to coilovers only. If you start upgrading other suspension components, then everything changes.

Like Z1 said, If you can outdrive your Nismo suspension, than go for the upgrade. You're already a better driver than I am, so beat the hell out of your Nismo suspension on track day and if you win, get the Zeals.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 PM
NightRider88

Originally Posted by zBear
The Zeals will definitely exceed performance over factory Nismo suspension. I am talking direct swap of struts/shocks to coilovers only. If you start upgrading other suspension components, then everything changes.

Like Z1 said, If you can outdrive your Nismo suspension, than go for the upgrade. You're already a better driver than I am, so beat the hell out of your Nismo suspension on track day and if you win, get the Zeals.
thanks for actual good feed back.....which you always seem to have!
Old 01-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

What I am giving you is actual feedback. Show me another vendor on here that will toss of a $2800 sale because they don't think it's the right thing for you. If you feel the money burning a hole in your pocket, then by all means buy 'em. Why limit yourself to Zeals though? There are units out there that are even more exclusive, and may potentially make the car handle even better. I'm all about selling parts, it's how I put food on the table, but I don't believe in hyping something up just because it sounds cool, unless that is what you want (nothing wrong with that, but that's not the questions you're asking). You said you want to improve the performance of the car. The surefire way to do that, at this point, is to improve you. Once the you part can outdrive the car, then coilovers, among other things, will be a wise and justified purchase.

But to start off, I'd change the tires before anything. The Z, and particularly the NISMO, becomes a completely different animal when on a proper set of r compounds. If you have not done a track day, get in a few under your belt before you just start tossing parts at the car. Learn to critique the car from a position of intelligence and actualities. From there, you'll be in the very good position to describe to any smart vendor, be it myself, or the several others on this forum, what YOU need in a suspension setup. You'll be able to tell them with specifics what is lacking and what you like about the existing, stock setup.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 01-15-2009 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Nismo Vs 350z