Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 AM
RedZOH3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride

I am kinda a noob and am looking for advice on my suspension. I just got a '03 Grand Touring. I love the car, with a couple exceptions, one bieng the Bose system, but thats for another day, another thread.

As far as the ride goes, I love how it handles, with one exception. On the freeway, it bounces like a lowrider. Is it possible to get it to handle like a Z but ride like a maxima?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:34 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

First of all , how many miles ? Your struts are probably bad. 03's have the worst suspension from the factory, i would upgrade to the next gen of suspension (found in the for sale section cheap ) or get some d-specs with aftermarket springs.

Swapping head units helps a lot, much better sounds quality, enough base , decent highs. Normally i do full stereo systems, i havn't done anything but my D3 in the 2 years ive had my 03.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:43 AM
RedZOH3

64000 miles. Whats D-specs? I also heard the Nismo suspension was freeway bounce free, is that true?
Old 01-29-2009, 01:09 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by RedZOH3
64000 miles. Whats D-specs? I also heard the Nismo suspension was freeway bounce free, is that true?
NISMO= overpriced junk. Tokico makes D-specs, they are an aftermarket shock.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:29 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am kinda a noob and am looking for advice on my suspension. I just got a '03 Grand Touring. I love the car, with a couple exceptions, one bieng the Bose system, but thats for another day, another thread.

As far as the ride goes, I love how it handles, with one exception. On the freeway, it bounces like a lowrider. Is it possible to get it to handle like a Z but ride like a maxima?
if you got a 2003 Grand Touring you got yourself a rare car considering there is no such car. plus why would you want your sports car to handle like a family sedan? read some of the reviews listed in the sticky above, make a plan, then get yourself a setup that will work for you. having it "handle like a maxima" will not work for a Z.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:55 AM
RedZOH3

I thought it was a Grand Touring. Its on 03 with Bose and sub, but without the navigation. Its the one that is one step lower than the 03 track.

And when I said I wanted it to handle like a Maxima i just meant I would like a nice smooth ride on the freeway. I still want it to handle like it does now.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:46 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

If it has leather, its a touring
Old 01-30-2009, 11:29 AM
RedZOH3

It has leather and heated seats. Soooooo nice in this cold weather....
Old 01-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Done Deal DR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This place never gets old.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I get what your saying. Even when brand new, oem 03/04 shocks have known issues with bounce and freeway porposing. Ride like a maxima, I get that to, however, I'm sure even the maxima has less then perfect issues I can detect on a ride and drive ralated to it's mass produced production shocks.

IMO, to get what yout want.

Step 1,.......pull oem shocks go directly to dumpster (please don't try to resell them, why would you wish that same ride quality on someone else?)

Step 2,......install 4 Bilstein H.D. shocks
Old 02-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Dwnhill350z

Wow I was actually going to post up the same complaint,glad I found this before starting another thread. I have a 03 with 50k miles and its gotten so bumpy on the freeways and streets its killing my lower back, I know the shocks aren't blown, but the ride is far from smooth especially compared to when I purchased it. So in order to regain a smooth ride I should look into getting D-specs or Bilstein H.D.shocks? I could care less about ride height I just want a smooth easy comfortable ride. Will my factory warranty be voided? As I remember reading that if I do anything,add anything or change anything to the suspension my warranty will be voided, which is something I want to avoid. TIA.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwnhill350z
Wow I was actually going to post up the same complaint,glad I found this before starting another thread. I have a 03 with 50k miles and its gotten so bumpy on the freeways and streets its killing my lower back, I know the shocks aren't blown, but the ride is far from smooth especially compared to when I purchased it. So in order to regain a smooth ride I should look into getting D-specs or Bilstein H.D.shocks? I could care less about ride height I just want a smooth easy comfortable ride. Will my factory warranty be voided? As I remember reading that if I do anything,add anything or change anything to the suspension my warranty will be voided, which is something I want to avoid. TIA.
Stupid question, your 2003 with 50K still is covered by a factory warranty?

D-specs will be better then your oem shock when they were new and certainly better then your shocks now and if you want adjustablity they are pretty good. If you don't need adjustablity and don't mind paying a little more, the Bilstein H.D. is a better shock.

As far as your factory warranty goes, Nissan would have to prove that your new shocks caused a failure in order to deny a warranty claim. If the slim likelyhood of that actually happening bothers you, I'd get low mileage late model oem shocks til your waranty expires.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Dwnhill350z

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Stupid question, your 2003 with 50K still is covered by a factory warranty?

D-specs will be better then your oem shock when they were new and certainly better then your shocks now and if you want adjustablity they are pretty good. If you don't need adjustablity and don't mind paying a little more, the Bilstein H.D. is a better shock.

As far as your factory warranty goes, Nissan would have to prove that your new shocks caused a failure in order to deny a warranty claim. If the slim likelyhood of that actually happening bothers you, I'd get low mileage late model oem shocks til your waranty expires.
Cool thanks for the 411, sorry should have said dealership warranty, only thing is I was worried they might cancel or claim I voided it because I installed something on the car that wasn't allowed. As I remember reading that if I installed any springs, or add anything non oem or that were not nismo my warranty would be voided, that's why I was worried, however my back can't take anymore bouncing so I'll look into the bilstein since I don't want adjustablilty and would rather a smooth ride.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:04 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmmm. What suspension components are primarily responsible of bounce-no bounce. I’ll have to think this over.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:22 PM
5150DS

Originally Posted by davidv
Hmmm. What suspension components are primarily responsible of bounce-no bounce. I’ll have to think this over.
Shocks.

Oops, I missed the sarcasm first time.