Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Stock Perf. Brakes after VIR South

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 02:53 PM
mcclaskz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Perf. Brakes after VIR South

Last weekend I went to VIR south for the second time. It is a 1.6 mile course with a fair amount of elevation and turns. It is pretty well known to be very hard on brakes. I have a Performance model with SS lines, Motul 600 fluid, and was running stock wheels/tires. Last April I ran with Carbotech Panther + in the front and Bobcats in the rear. The rear Bobcats completely disintegrated over the weekend. The fronts wore 2/3 of the pad and my dust boots on the piston also disintegrated. I think my lap times were somewhere in the 1:33s average. Last weekend I used Carbotech XP in the front and Panther+ in the rear. My fronts have 2/3 of the pad left and the rears have 2mm left. I realize there is some wierd bias towards the rear, but I think the XP is probably pad I should now use all around. Oh also this time my laps were 1:29s so I was probably seeing higher speeds. I know that I was 5mph faster at the end of the front straight than I remember being the first time. I will go back and do VIR full in a few weeks and will re-use my XPs on the front and order another set of XP rears. VIR full is a more high speed course so the brakes should not see as high temps. We will see. I plan on using Nick at N-Techengineerings' duct kit for the front. As you can tell I am trying to get every ounce of my stock brakes before I invitably give in and buy a brake kit!
Old 09-10-2003, 05:49 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I tried that combination as well at Sebring with similar results, now I have Brembo's up front so I am going to try +'s all around, have you removed the rear shield?

I am glad people are starting to find Nick, he is awsome and has a lot of good info and upcoming mods for tracking, he is a great guy and instructor, I believe he is going to VIR in a couple of weeks, he is going to try to get the ATI SC on for that if he gets it in time. I am going to keep an eye on his install.

For all other here is his link http://ntechengineering.com/

Last edited by westpak; 09-10-2003 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:45 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would definitely be interested in a front duct kit.

thanks for the weblink...will keep an eye out for it
Old 09-11-2003, 04:04 AM
mcclaskz

West- I did remove the rear pie pans, but not the front as Nick said that the front duct kit would somehow mate to it. Hopefully Nick will be my instructor up there. I have tried to request him a few times.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:28 PM
MaddMatt

Man your cars are hard on rear brake pads....
Old 09-25-2003, 08:05 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll jump in here. I've been running Panther + F & R, with 13.1" F Stoptechs. I bled my brakes today, and checked my pads after a lapping day at Gingerman. The rear are barely worn at all! Removing the rear dust shield REALLY helps! As to how hard I braked.....well.....I spun the front tires about 3" on the rim!

I'm in tense anticipation of the cooling ducts. Nick, any release date info? Also, does anyone know where to purchase brake temp paint?

Last edited by EnthuZ; 09-25-2003 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:15 AM
mcclaskz

I returned from VIR full this past weekend and used Pather XP all the way around. I will now reorder t these from now on. After the 2nd weekend on my front pads, I have at least 1/2 pad left. After 1 weekend on the rears, I have 1/2 pad left. I am going to CMP in November and will probably reorder some rears as they will be the first to go. I see a front brake kit in my future anyways...
Old 09-26-2003, 04:32 AM
Audito350Z

Originally posted by EnthuZ
Also, does anyone know where to purchase brake temp paint?
Yep.... Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pdfs/104.pdf
Old 09-26-2003, 05:33 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by EnthuZ
........I'm in tense anticipation of the cooling ducts. Nick, any release date info? .......
I saw him a couple of weeks ago and he had ordered some of those plastic shield that are on either side of the grill entrance so he could sell the kit with them cut already so people wouldn't have to cut them themselves, soon I hope.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:37 AM
mcclaskz

There were some fitment issues that he is correcting. I think it should be back out soon. I will put up some pics after install.