Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Shock dyno before or after initial purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:26 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Shock dyno before or after initial purchase?

At what point in the shock purchase process do I request shock dynos?

Specifically, if I were to order Bilstein PSS10s, would I request the shock dyno at the time of purchase (I assume not since I have to purchase through licensed vendors), or would I have to order then send to Bilstein in California for dyno testing? I ask only because I am not familiar with any South FL shops that perform

Also, if the latter is true (dyno after initial purchase), what do I request from Bilstein? For example, do I ask for a shock dyno graphs only, or can I ask how the results translate into a balanced adjustment settings on each individual shock? Can I provide some baseline adjustment specs and ask them to give me a recommendation from there?

This all begs the question, isn't there a market for matched shock sets? Do I have to go through a motorsports shop directly for this service? (for those tone freaks out there, this would be akin to getting matched quads or pairs for tube amplifiers - i.e. the correct and only way to buy power tubes)
Old 03-19-2009, 07:19 AM
akomsr1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you trying to do exactly? If you just want general dyno curves, Bilstein should be able to email you some. If you are trying to make sure the front and rear pair shock forces are equal at identical settings then you obviously should get them dyno'd after you recieve your shocks.

If you have any circle track shops around, they will usually have shock dynos. If not send them out to Bilstein.

Again, I don't know what your end goal is or how much experience you have. But, if you are trying to find the optimal shock setting purely based off of dyno graphs you simply cannot do that.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:52 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Before I comment on the dyno's, I need to ask you two questions.

Do you intend on having them revalved in the future?

Do you intend on running stiffer springs (killing off the progressive rear spring with a linear spring of the same peak rate doesn't count)?

Bilstein does not have dyno's

Have the dyno's done after purchase, I recommend that have have them shipped directly from the reseller to the dyno shop. Call the shop first to let then know to expect the package and confirm you will send them a email that details how you want them run and at what settings).

I recommend these two shops.

http://performanceshock.com/index.ph...roducts_id=521
They have a Roehrig dyno and will run whatever settings you ask for and they will email you the raw files (CVP or PVP).

http://www.resuspension.com/Services-sp-3.html
Another place that comes to mind that is closer to you, the dyno manufactuer themselves Roehrig offers extensive shop services, including dyno's. They shouldn't have any problem emailing you the run files either. (I have talked to both of the shops I'm recommending, between them resuspension sounds like they would the most willing to explain what the plots mean to the lay person).

Have them run in inches per second from 0ips to 10ips, make sure the forces are in pounds, though I think that is automatic when ips is choosen. You MUST very specifically tell them that you are paying for the dyno's AND for them to email you the raw run files in CVP or PVP. Why? so that YOU have the total freedom to see any type of plot you need to, not just one type. To munipulate the files, all you do is download the free software from Roehrig's web site.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:59 PM
guitman32

Originally Posted by akomsr1
What are you trying to do exactly? If you just want general dyno curves, Bilstein should be able to email you some. If you are trying to make sure the front and rear pair shock forces are equal at identical settings then you obviously should get them dyno'd after you recieve your shocks.

If you have any circle track shops around, they will usually have shock dynos. If not send them out to Bilstein.

Again, I don't know what your end goal is or how much experience you have. But, if you are trying to find the optimal shock setting purely based off of dyno graphs you simply cannot do that.
The latter, I want to have them dyno'd for that reason, amongst others.

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Before I comment on the dyno's, I need to ask you two questions.

1. Do you intend on having them revalved in the future?

2. Do you intend on running stiffer springs (killing off the progressive rear spring with a linear spring of the same peak rate doesn't count)?

Bilstein does not have dyno's

Have the dyno's done after purchase, I recommend that have have them shipped directly from the reseller to the dyno shop. Call the shop first to let then know to expect the package and confirm you will send them a email that details how you want them run and at what settings).

I recommend these two shops.

http://performanceshock.com/index.ph...roducts_id=521
They have a Roehrig dyno and will run whatever settings you ask for and they will email you the raw files (CVP or PVP).

http://www.resuspension.com/Services-sp-3.html
Another place that comes to mind that is closer to you, the dyno manufactuer themselves Roehrig offers extensive shop services, including dyno's. They shouldn't have any problem emailing you the run files either. (I have talked to both of the shops I'm recommending, between them resuspension sounds like they would the most willing to explain what the plots mean to the lay person).

Have them run in inches per second from 0ips to 10ips, make sure the forces are in pounds, though I think that is automatic when ips is choosen. You MUST very specifically tell them that you are paying for the dyno's AND for them to email you the raw run files in CVP or PVP. Why? so that YOU have the total freedom to see any type of plot you need to, not just one type. To munipulate the files, all you do is download the free software from Roehrig's web site.
First, I’ll answer your questions:
1. Yes, most likely. My goals for the shocks are not yet set in stone. My future driving mix (daily/track/autocross) will dictate my desired direction for valving the shocks, which will most likely be a more track oriented setup as time goes by. I am not a serious racer, hobby only, so the PSS10 made my short list for being a well balanced monotube shock with well engineered valving.

2. Depends. Off the bat I will switch the progressive rear with a linear replacement (doesn’t count, as you mentioned). I am undecided on the rate, but was considering something on or around the peak rear rate (420). Eventually I will switch to stiffer springs if my driving mix (daily/track/autocross) deems necessary (as above), and plan to re-valve accordingly (I assume I will probably be running springs that are outside the valving range of the stock shocks). Shouldn’t the initial shock dyno give me insight into where I can go with the spring rate within the bounds of the existing valving?

Thanks a lot for the recommendations. I checked both sites, and it seems that resuspension makes most sense for me. I am new to the shock analysis world, so having a shop that is willing to help me understand the finer details is welcome (although I am confident I can grasp the essentials on my own – research in progress, obviously). When I call, I will mention explicitly that I want dynos and the raw files for analysis on my own. Developing a relationship with someone closer than Cali will be a plus. Also, check out this page (services on Bilstein’s site) – they list “dyno services with printout” as a service - either way, I figure I’m best off dealing with a dedicated race shop closer to me:

http://www.bilstein.com/services.php...9b7b60afae3387

I have a few questions:
1. If I have never installed or used the shocks, how will I know what settings to request? I’ll go ahead and try to answer my own question: I would ask for dynos at various increments within the adjustment range (e.g. 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10). If I am on the right track, do you have any recommendations on how to request the ranges?

2. You say “CVP or PVP:” are you saying that I should get one or the other depending on what I want to see? I was thinking of getting both. Although I admit I’m still not 100% clear on what exactly I can infer from one or the other.

Last edited by guitman32; 03-20-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:14 AM
guitman32

Also, shouldn't I be able to convert from in/sec and pounds to m/s and newtons using the Roehrig software?