Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

SPC front kit install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:30 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Default SPC front kit install question

My camber is off 2 degrees - both sides - right and left front. Stock suspension.

Just bot the SPC front kit and I'm getting ready to install it. It comes with the upper control arms AND a shim for the axle spindle, a shim for the brake caliper bracket, AND a ABS sensor relocation bracket.

Will installing the arm be enough to solve my problem, or do I need to install all the other stuff too ?
Old 03-30-2009, 02:04 PM
AznKaos15

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1
Old 03-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Citrus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front Arms should be enough. Their advertised rates of adjustment are -1.5 to +3 degrees camber, -1 to +1 degrees caster - http://www.specprod.com/CATALOG_DIR/...08_PerfCat.pdf . I've been to their shop here in Colorado, very smart and organized group of engineers there. Definitely high quality products.

*edit* just read you're looking to install only the A-Arms. I would think you could still dial the camber back into spec with just the A-Arms, but haven't tried it myself.

Last edited by Citrus; 03-30-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:05 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

TTT

Anyone else with experience ?
Old 09-18-2009, 09:25 PM
peegs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would like to know as well
Old 09-19-2009, 10:49 AM
jimpactmfsc

so your not lowered on springs or coilovers but your camber is still off?
Old 09-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 982 Likes on 745 Posts

The shims are needed for a mild drop. Another member on here had just the a-arms installed and only got .5 degrees of camber back. We went back and installed the spacers and were able to get his camber into spec.

-You also need to pull the oem upper control arm bushing off and put it on the new ones.
-be sure to install the wheel sensors back properly, if not you will end up with low speed brake pulsing.
-the upper adjuster can be rotated 180 degrees to give you more camber as well
Old 09-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Sleepy79

Originally Posted by Cux350z
-the upper adjuster can be rotated 180 degrees to give you more camber as well
Never really thought of that, that is a good point.

i wasn't looking to bring it back to spec though. but by doing so you will have no caster adjustment, not like many play with their caster setting.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:10 AM
rotchcrocket04

I didn't need the extra shims and got mine back into spec just fine. I'm lowered 1.0" in the front.

However, I can say that I'm almost disgusted with the front SPC kit. I'm lowered 1 inch... really not that drastic of a drop and upon jarring bumps the A-Arm smacks the top of my wheel well something awful. I've tried everything and every fix in the book... I cannot get it fixed. I've pretty much given up - I'm pretty disgusted with it.

I understand that if you keep going lower and lower, eventually something will have to bottom out. However, I know other guys that have 1.5"+ drops on their Z and don't have any issues with the A-Arm hitting. I've considered going back to the factory A-Arms and running slightly more negative camber to avoid the horrible banging noise.

Anyone else?
Old 09-24-2009, 12:49 PM
loquee

I have the SPC fronts on my car along with the shim kit. I'm probably lowered 1.5 inches on coilovers
My car is back into spec, but I do have the annoying clunk from the SPC arm hitting my inner fender wells from time to time. I usually only hear it if I hit an unexpected pothole.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:41 AM
rotchcrocket04

Originally Posted by loquee
I have the SPC fronts on my car along with the shim kit. I'm probably lowered 1.5 inches on coilovers
My car is back into spec, but I do have the annoying clunk from the SPC arm hitting my inner fender wells from time to time. I usually only hear it if I hit an unexpected pothole.
Mine happens pretty often - like I said, I'm only lowered one inch in the front

What coilovers are you running and do you have them set on a softer or harder setting?

I just can't believe SPC failed like this - but then again I talk to guys that are dropped more than me and don't have any problems
Old 09-25-2009, 01:15 PM
loquee

I have Greddy Type-S coilovers, and I have them at a harder setting, but they do have a pretty soft spring rate.
I wonder if it would help If I had stiffer springs?
The roads out here are pretty smooth, so that might be a factor. I also have a low front lip So I slow way down for speed bumps and rough roads.
But I know how you feel because I cringe every time I hear that clunk.
I've asked several shops and some say they are a great part, and some won't even carry them. I don't know what to think about that one.

Last edited by loquee; 09-25-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:49 AM
rotchcrocket04

I have Greddy Type-S coilovers, and I have them at a harder setting, but they do have a pretty soft spring rate.
I wonder if it would help If I had stiffer springs?
The roads out here are pretty smooth, so that might be a factor. I also have a low front lip So I slow way down for speed bumps and rough roads.
But I know how you feel because I cringe every time I hear that clunk.
I've asked several shops and some say they are a great part, and some won't even carry them. I don't know what to think about that one.
I'm running BC Racing coilovers on a relatively harder setting as well (32 way dampening, I'm around 23 or 24). I'm assuming stiffer springs would help, however, I don't think I should have to sacrifice ride quality so my A-Arms work how they're originally advertised.

At this point, I'm considering taking the A-Arms off and either going back to the factory A-Arms and running more negative camber or buying a different brand (which just kills me to have to do).

The roads in my area are pretty rough. I live in the suburbs but PA is known for their horrible maintenance of the roads... it's no joke, they really suck some places (it's the only reason I'm not lower).

I've also heard the same thing over and over. Some guys swear by them and back them up and other guys won't even touch them... I'm starting to see why.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:28 PM
loquee

I've never been to your part of the country but I've heard it's murder on lowered cars.

Your right about not having to change or alter suspension pieces to make something simple like an a-arm perform properly, but there has to be a reason why some guys back them up so much.

I'm sure you've done some research, but I was originally looking into the Cusco a-arms, but they were on back order from Japan. I also heard that the SPL a-arms are good, but they are a little more money.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:02 AM
rotchcrocket04

I've never been to your part of the country but I've heard it's murder on lowered cars.

Your right about not having to change or alter suspension pieces to make something simple like an a-arm perform properly, but there has to be a reason why some guys back them up so much.

I'm sure you've done some research, but I was originally looking into the Cusco a-arms, but they were on back order from Japan. I also heard that the SPL a-arms are good, but they are a little more money.
I agree - that's why I'm so damn confused about this. So many guys do back them up and support them 100% - yet I lower an inch and have a serious issue with them?! Granted, I got back into spec with them... but I shouldn't have to sacrifice the functionality for some camber adjustment haha!

I was thinking the Cusco A-arms as well. I know another guy around here that has them and has his Z nearly on the ground and he likes them. However, I don't know if I can get them... and I don't feel like starting that project soon haha!
Old 09-30-2009, 04:12 AM
rotchcrocket04

After thinking about it... is there an SPC rep on the forums? I'd love if I could have an open conversation with someone from SPC about this issue... can anyone advise?
Old 10-03-2009, 06:16 PM
gyotar

I just had the SPC kit installed. Front and rear. I have the ABS/BRAKE/SLIP/VDC OFF light on now and it's pissing me off. I'm going to try and set the sensor gap tomorrow at my own shop. Does anyone know what the stock gap should be for the ABS sensor on the front?

Anyone have advice for me from someone who's solved this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:04 PM
gyotar

Meh...no replies. I fixed it.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:35 PM
maximariceboi

Lets bring this thread back to life.....

My buddy and I installed these SPC A-Arms today without the shims and I'm having problems with the ABS and VDC off light...I guess I might have to install the shims and what not. Does anyone have pictures avail of their install? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by maximariceboi; 03-19-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:48 PM
gyotar

I don't have pictures, however a word of warning before you take your car apart buy a shim kit. The ones supplied with the kit may or may not be useless.

Quick Reply: SPC front kit install question