Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

KW V3 help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:57 PM
jason350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KW V3 help

I just got a set of kw v3 installed by a dealer that had no clue what they were doing, wont go into details yet. but today I took the rear wheels off, I found that the purple nut that is used to adjust the height of the car: on the driver side its screwed in about 90%. and on the passenger side the nut is screwed out about 90% so this constitutes about a 2-3inch in differance. however with that difference the wheel gap is about the same, why is it so different there is definitely something wrong. If I was to make the purple nut the same on both side one side would be way lower than the other

thanks
Old 04-11-2009, 02:54 AM
SargeZ350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn. Then somethin is definitely wrong! The nuts should have same height. Post some pics maybe i can help you. I´ve the variant 3 installed too!
Old 04-11-2009, 06:40 AM
350 Rookie
Banned

Idk how knowledgable you are on coils. there are 2 nuts. One to adjust height and one to lock it in place. maybe the one thats not screwed down is the lockk nut. If they are same height, they are both adjusted right.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:25 AM
djtimodj

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi mate sorry i have not got bk to your PM yet.

The V3's i fitted to my car ae the same as you have described. you set the card ride hight by the distance from the wheel arch to the center of the wheel. the car is not evenly balanced so the spring perch's have to be set different to get the wheel arch to hub center correct.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:49 PM
jason350z

Originally Posted by 350 Rookie
Idk how knowledgable you are on coils. there are 2 nuts. One to adjust height and one to lock it in place. maybe the one thats not screwed down is the lockk nut. If they are same height, they are both adjusted right.
this is true for the front coils, not for the rear, the rear spring adjuster does not have a nut to lock into place as the front one does.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:56 PM
jason350z

Originally Posted by djtimodj
Hi mate sorry i have not got bk to your PM yet.

The V3's i fitted to my car ae the same as you have described. you set the card ride hight by the distance from the wheel arch to the center of the wheel. the car is not evenly balanced so the spring perch's have to be set different to get the wheel arch to hub center correct.

thats what i was thinking but.... how come with the stock springs and struts which are the same height the care does not have a major difference in the wheel gap. if the case was that u needed to adjust to get the right height then i would think that the stock suspencion was not equal right and left.

well today i took the purple adjusters and made them equal in height then put everything back. results the passenger side was way lower than the driver side, WT.F is going on?????????? shouldn't fender wheel gad be equal since i have the adjusters equal on both sides?
Old 04-12-2009, 04:18 PM
blackblack99

Default i just put kw3 on as well

I just put KW variant 3 on my 07 350Z and it worked out just fine, make sure who ever put it on; set the perches (top and bottom) in the right place. If the wheel gaps are that much diffrent and you have the purple ring screwed to the same height. Thats the fisrst thing I would check, there are little factory tabs for the back springs that go into three elongated holes in the top perch, make sure they are in good and the rubber seal on the top is flush after you pop those three pronged tabs in. The bottom perch has a factory semi spiraled rubber grommet that need to be in the right place. If the car was driven with that much of a ride height diffrence for very long that could have possibly fouled something as well, but not likely. I installed mine ver carefully building them slowing inside my house checking and re-checking everything according to the manual, made oa few tech call to KW and got great help. This is not an ametuer coilover kit, it has three types of adjustments that must be in the same all around and this alone can be a tricky endevour. This kit (although expensive also requires the use of the factory top mounts all around and if they are not put together right,, like screwing the top nut down until its seated, which is pretty tricky as well. Then you must make sure your bump (compression dampening) is set in accordance with the the level of regular dampining. I hade to take my wheels and control arms off like five times before I was happy. Good luck I hope this helps
Old 04-12-2009, 06:56 PM
zettahertz

^ I don't think the OEM rubber grommet is needed in the rear spring mount. (guess you're talking about the cone shaped thing)
look at page 9 of instruction
http://www.kw-gmbh.de/kw_upload/Einbau/eah68685002.pdf

edit: nvm, just looked and that actually went on the top,

Last edited by zettahertz; 04-12-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:11 AM
jason350z

Originally Posted by zettahertz
^ I don't think the OEM rubber grommet is needed in the rear spring mount. (guess you're talking about the cone shaped thing)
look at page 9 of instruction
http://www.kw-gmbh.de/kw_upload/Einbau/eah68685002.pdf

edit: nvm, just looked and that actually went on the top,
Yeah u dont need to use the top cone like ruber, that would get in the way of fitting the adjuster wheel onto the 3 little tabs.

well i took everything off yesterday and also checked the struts made sure the setting were all the same, and re installed the adjuster with equal length on both sides and now its perfect, i think those idiots didn't check the struts to make sure they were equal or something but what a wast of money i should have done it my self from the start. thanks everyone for the imput
Old 04-13-2009, 08:12 AM
350 Rookie
Banned

Originally Posted by jason350z
this is true for the front coils, not for the rear, the rear spring adjuster does not have a nut to lock into place as the front one does.
lol what, thats impossible. Every coilover i know has 2 nuts, no matter front back up down left right. IT HAS to have one to lock it.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:52 AM
jason350z

lol what, thats impossible. Every coilover i know has 2 nuts, no matter front back up down left right. IT HAS to have one to lock it.
i'm telling u bro this kit doesn;t have it in the rear only on the front. maybe some of the other guys that have this set up can post the way theirs is.
but it should have i would make it so much easier
Old 04-13-2009, 08:59 AM
knils

yeah.. all the one's I've had have at least that, a few have the third one that sits on the threads at the lower end of the mount to lock it, at least in the sets where you set the collars snug on the spring beforehand and leave them so you don't change the rates once their installed... did you get it new or used??

Good to see you figured everything out, I'll be putting on mine in a couple weeks
Old 04-13-2009, 11:19 AM
jason350z

i got it new from a vendor in this forum new, and drove to their shop about 3 1/2hrs to get it install. only because im carefull as to who works on my car. but did i fedup going there. worst thing ever man.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:25 AM
blasian

The rears do not have a locking nut. I haven't had any issues with this however.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:45 PM
zettahertz

yup, no locking nut in my rear either and no issues.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:47 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

which shop did the install?