Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Need help with Rear Suspension install

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:55 AM
elrooko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Rear Suspension install

Hi all,

started installing my PSS10 coilovers and I have hit a wall. The rear shock bolt is seized onto the bushing sleeve. If I rotate the nut, it turns but only about 1/4 of a turn then snaps back because the bushin itself is turning and the sleeve is seized to it.

Need some help here - I have tried about a whole can of PB Blaster, heated the end of the nut, I'm using air tools with a 450FT LB impact gun and it won't budget. I'm plain out of ideas.

Anyone hit this before and have any good advice?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:25 PM
zettahertz

what? I'm confused. what are u trying to do? Removing the nut from the OEM strut or putting the OEM mount onto the rear Bilstein strut?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:33 PM
SilverJDMCoupe

If you talking about the lower control arm bolt in the rear, I had a similar issue, but I fixed it with hand tools. Tighten the bolt a little, hit it with Penetrating Oil all around, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then try to back it out.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:19 AM
elrooko

Originally Posted by zettahertz
what? I'm confused. what are u trying to do? Removing the nut from the OEM strut or putting the OEM mount onto the rear Bilstein strut?
I'm trying to get the lower control arm bolt out of the stock OEM shock. Basically I can't unscrew the bolt because it is seized in the sleeve inside the rubber bushing. When I try to unscrew it, the whole rubber bushing just sort of tries to spin and I can't unscrew it.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:21 AM
elrooko

Originally Posted by SilverJDMCoupe
If you talking about the lower control arm bolt in the rear, I had a similar issue, but I fixed it with hand tools. Tighten the bolt a little, hit it with Penetrating Oil all around, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then try to back it out.
Okay - seems like I have been dumping a gallon of PB Blaster on this thing but it won't budge. If I can't get it today I may just bring it to a garage and have them cut it out with a torch and put a new bushing in. What a PITA
Old 04-21-2009, 08:49 AM
zettahertz

i just tapped it out w/ a screwdriver and a rubber mallet... If i remember correctly, the middle of the bolt isn't threaded.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:52 AM
elrooko

Originally Posted by zettahertz
i just tapped it out w/ a screwdriver and a rubber mallet... If i remember correctly, the middle of the bolt isn't threaded.
That would work great for the front, but for the rear, the bolt is threaded onto the other side of the shock. I can't tap it out since it is still threaded through the other side of the shock.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:41 AM
zettahertz

o yeah, forgot about that part in the OEM strut. definitely not normal that you can't even get it out w/ the impact gun though.