Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Is different Sway Bar performance differently?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 05:05 AM
CarlosCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For drifting, proper coilovers with stiff springs are the first thing. After that, it all depends on how your car reacts when drifting.

Are you getting understeer? Oversteer? What do you need to correct on the drifting performance of the car?

You probably need a sway bar set with a lot of different settings on both front and rear, so you can try it out and find what setting combination is best suited to your driving style.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:24 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am running 350evo in the rear and for the front I am running the Carter Thompson custom bar. I autox and track my car, the 350evo is adjustable the front is not. I love this setup\\http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=0&ModelID=24
Old 05-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kof0127
Actually, I am drifting my car, and I want to make the car grip a little bit better from start.
That also help to drift when the car is going side, so the rear wheels can send good amount of power to the ground to execute the drift better; but I don't really know too much about the sway bar things, so I need to know it before I make my purchase. I don't feel like get multiple set of sway bar just to try which one will suit my taste, lol.

So please help me out guys.
Why would you think you have to try out multiple products?

It's not about getting caught up on any manufactuers claims or specs. Simple, adjustable front and rear. Brand name you trust, that sells for a price you feel is justifed (value). That's it. If your making things any more complicated then that, your thinking way too hard.

Only reason anyone would have to chase real factual bar strength numbers is if your bound by class rules where you can only make a limited amount of changes to the car. Generally this means your looking for the stiffest front bar possilbe. At 36mm, the H&R front bar is the stiffest, followed by a few 35mm front bars.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TJGILROY
it was a joke, did you even look at the op or thread title?
Yeah saw the title, saw the other posts, saw yours, didn't read like a joke so I responded. So now we know.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:32 AM
TJGILROY

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Yeah saw the title, saw the other posts, saw yours, didn't read like a joke so I responded. So now we know.
it's cool, looks like the guy is getting his answer, though...

op, hotchkis....good brand, not bad price...it's really like everyone else says - go with what you prefer
Old 05-09-2009, 07:15 PM
kof0127

Do the weight from the sway bars will effect the performance? if there is any...
Old 05-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

solid bars will be much more heavy obviously (of the same diameter).

they can be substantially heavier... so I would go for hollow.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:52 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by kof0127
Actually, I am drifting my car, and I want to make the car grip a little bit better from start.
That also help to drift when the car is going side, so the rear wheels can send good amount of power to the ground to execute the drift better; but I don't really know too much about the sway bar things, so I need to know it before I make my purchase. I don't feel like get multiple set of sway bar just to try which one will suit my taste, lol.

So please help me out guys.
Any set of adjustable bars will help. You are going to want to keep the front pretty soft and stiffen up the rear. The Z likes to push, and the stiffer the front bar the more it will push.

Read up on suspension tuning, Stiffer swaybars actually don't give you traction.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:58 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

OP just search already. This is the same sway bar thread we've had since the beginning.

No more amnesty.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:23 AM
aloh

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TJGILROY
best one pick would say is nismo bars would help bunch
LOL no. nismo sways = waste of money

OP, just go for the hotchkis ones. Theyre readily available from many vendors and are adjustable. You wont hear anything but good things about those
Old 05-10-2009, 04:30 AM
kof0127

HMMMM... Hotchkis is the good quality and affordable sway bar amount all, I think I am going to that. Thanks guys.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:19 AM
Sleepy79

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
At 36mm, the H&R front bar is the stiffest, followed by a few 35mm front bars.
Have you tested the H&R sways? Thoughts? Mine have been sitting in the basement for almost a year, (too busy to put them on).
Old 05-10-2009, 05:24 AM
TJGILROY

Originally Posted by aloh
LOL no. nismo sways = waste of money

OP, just go for the hotchkis ones. Theyre readily available from many vendors and are adjustable. You wont hear anything but good things about those
can't believe you took my post serious...it was a shot at the title, read it then read my answer...

op - go with hotchkis!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:16 AM
kof0127

anyway, looks like the sway bars are associate with suspension, so I would like the know the which brand offer the good QUALITY and AFFORDABLE suspension setup that around, my budget is low at this moment. Suspension, Camber kit, sway bars, these somewhere around $2500-3000.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:02 AM
gorillagoggles

Are you even reading any of the posts man, everyones answered your sway bar question. I'm usually not the guy that comes in a shuts down someone new, but people have tried being nice. Just use the search tool, there's a whole sticky thread on the different coilovers, including spring rates, adjustment settings, etc. that are available for the 350. Go with Eibach or simple SPC camber kits. We can only give you so much advice until it's up to your own discretion. It's at that point I think
Old 05-11-2009, 05:57 PM
kof0127

Originally Posted by gorillagoggles
Are you even reading any of the posts man, everyones answered your sway bar question. I'm usually not the guy that comes in a shuts down someone new, but people have tried being nice. Just use the search tool, there's a whole sticky thread on the different coilovers, including spring rates, adjustment settings, etc. that are available for the 350. Go with Eibach or simple SPC camber kits. We can only give you so much advice until it's up to your own discretion. It's at that point I think
I understand that, but I just wanted focus on one thing, so people that have experience on drifting can get me some great advise. I did look at the posts but they didn't really have a clear suggestion, so I have post this up to ask people for help, sorry if i made you mad.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do different sway bars have different performance? Absolutely. However, sway bar selection should not be based on a single question. If you are going to seriously drift your 350z, then there are a few other things you need to upgrade before you worry about sway bars.

First, you must upgrade your differential to a clutch-type 1.5 or 2 way. This is necessary for drifting and will have a huge effect on how your car handles, because it will decelerate and power out of corners differently. Second, you must upgrade to Project Mu or equivelent (hardened) e-brake shoes. The stock e-brake shoes are not hard enough for drifting. They don't have the bite you need to initiate hard or make minor adjustments mid-drift. The third thing to worry about is suspension. The 350z understeers horribly with the stock suspension. Also, the spring rate is progressive and this causes it to be somewhat unpredictable. The most important upgrade is coilovers or a really good spring/shock combination. Then, Your sway bar selection should compliment the coilovers. Some people buy coilovers made for drifting, like the Tein Super Drifts. Some of these coilovers are designed to perform best with the stock sway-bars. Personally, I use Cusco Zero-2 coilovers. They have a soft spring rate in the rear. They are meant to be used with the Cusco sway bars, which have a very stiff rear sway bar. It's a different way of thinking and it handles very well. The fourth step is to get an alignment. Usually, when people install coilovers, they lower the car and this will throw the rear suspension geometry out of wack. It needs to be realigned. Some front camber could be good too. Fifth, is tires. I run stock sizes with wider wheels. They need the most grip up front, so use maximum or extreme performance tires. In the rear, any ultra high performance tire that doesn't chunk will work. Front tire pressure should be in the lower 30's and the rear tire pressure needs to be much higher. Too much rear grip makes transitions difficult. The sixth and final step, buy a good bucket seat. You need to be firmly planted to be able to concentrate on drifting.

I have not drifted anyone else's 350z's, so I am far from being an expert. I've only spent years ironing out the details on my own car. Therefore, I can not make a sway bar recommendation. If you are buying sway bars just to have another item to brag about on your list, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons. You need to only upgrade your sway bars to correct a problem.