Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Z1 selling BBK saying it had Brembo rotors and they were Autozones!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:12 AM
300zx1985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z1 is mixed up with tons of contreversy. twinturbo.net cant stand z1. personally ive been there alot when i had my z32 and everything seemed great, but now i dont think i would give them my business
Old 05-14-2009, 12:27 PM
SilverJDMCoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z04
have you actually seen their site and what they have for sale or are you just making assumptions?

considering the kit in question is for the 300zx, and as far as the use of the word brembo when it comes to the G35/350z on their site that is used to determine the brake set up is either for a brembo equipped car or a non-brembo car. it does not specifically say "brembo rotors" are being used.
Back up a second there....

You said you didn't not want to know if a vendor was doing shady stuff, if it didn't have to do with a 350Z or a G35. If a rebutable shop was building motors for Hondas for example, and it was found out that they were using old pistons, are you telling me you would get your engine built at the same shop because you haven't heard about them doing anything shady with a VQ motor? From the OP posting this, I consider this smart and helpful information. If I'm buying something, I want my hard earned money going towards the real thing......
Old 05-15-2009, 02:30 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverJDMCoupe
Back up a second there....

You said you didn't not want to know if a vendor was doing shady stuff, if it didn't have to do with a 350Z or a G35. If a rebutable shop was building motors for Hondas for example, and it was found out that they were using old pistons, are you telling me you would get your engine built at the same shop because you haven't heard about them doing anything shady with a VQ motor? From the OP posting this, I consider this smart and helpful information. If I'm buying something, I want my hard earned money going towards the real thing......

now you are making assumptions. like i said, the same parts in question are nto even done for the 350Z/G35 nor are they offered by them on their site. therefore has nothing to do with the car. the links provided are nothign more than other forum drama spilling onto this forum. if the said parts were directly related to the 350Z/G35, then i would be of concern.

as for the "buying the real thing" comment, do you even know what is the real thign when it comes to car parts? or do you go with what a vendor tells you? i stated this in the first post of mine, there are a lot of places that buy other stuff, lable it as their own, then resell it at a profit. many, if not all, will deny this or say this is not true. so how do you know for sure you are getting "the real thing"?

whatever. i will wait for bryan or russell to respond to this to make up my mind. there is always two sides to a story and right now, there is only one being presented

Last edited by Z04; 05-15-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:26 AM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This situation with our 13" rotor upgrade package came to light earlier this week when a customer sent me an e mail regarding the rotors contained in his brake package. He cross referenced a part number that is cast in the rotor and it came up to a national brand called Aimco. In discussion with him I stated in reply that we order our rotors from a supplier in California under the pretense that they are Brembo rotors. The information provided to us by the supplier at the time was that he purchased Brembo cast rotors, CNC drilled and slotted them in his facility and then replated them before shipping to us. Over the course of several years (and several thousand rotors) this has been the case.

When this situation was brought to my attention I approached the vendor again and upon pressing him I learned that the rotor blanks were purchased from a supplier to Brembo and not Brembo directly. At that time the word Brembo was removed from our product listing for those rotors. Do we plan on stopping selling those rotors? No, in short the quality is fine, and we have had limited issues with them. In fact the rotor in question, a 13" upgraded rotor, has had 1% failure rate since we began selling them. I just ran the numbers and we have sold 170 of those rotors and had only 2 returned for any reason. (Those 2 had surface cracking)

We've never advertised our 350Z / G35 rotors as being Brembo rotors. Our supplier has told us all along that he uses either Centric or BPI blanks for those depending on what is available at the time of order. The listing for our Z33 kits shows Base or (Brembo) as an identifier of what size/style you need. We've also had a great success rate and low failure rate on those rotors, having sold several hundred of them.

It is unfortunate that this misunderstanding took place, we were ordering rotors specified to be Brembo manufactured rotors, and were mislead by our supplier. It was never our intention to mislead customers, we thought we were supplying a geniune Brembo rotor to them.

As for some previous posts regarding the method of drilling / slotting rotors that were originally cast solid, this is a typical industry wide procedure and as mentioned is no different from what Stoptech does and is also widely practiced in motorsports where a drilled / slotted rotor is not always available for some applications.