B & G springs, Eibach alternative

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 10:19 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default B & G springs, Eibach alternative

Here is the B & G springs I got installed today. 1" drop (25mm) all 4 corners vs 1.2" drop in rear on Eibach and .8" drop ft on Eibach.

What do you guys think? A few of you mentioned that you thought my 18" HRE wheels had too much of a gap between the wheelwell when it was at the stock height. Does it look better now?

Last edited by zland; 06-05-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:23 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

This set is a prototype set. This is the 2nd version but this one is the final version and will go in production. They will be on sale at Mossy Nissan in Oceanside in about 2 months. Ask for Greg Vogel if you are interested in them. He had the chance to give G & B feedback on what needed improvement on the first version of the springs. Greg had a set of Eibach's in the Mossy Z at first, then switched to NISMO S later. Since he sells Eibach, NISMO S, and B & G, I think you can get an unbiased opinion of which will suite your needs the best. Greg does racing on the track so his feedback on these springs will have both a track and street perspective.

The B & G eliminate the porposing on the fwy since they are a progressive spring. Ride is smooth on small bumps - stiffer on bigger bumps, handling good, but as with all cars that are dropped, speed bumps must be handled by going over them on an angle.

Last edited by zland; 06-05-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:27 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

I need to check the camber later this week or next to see if I need a 4 wheel alignment. Seems like you dont with NISMO S suspension that drops .8 inches all 4 corners, some Eibach need it, some people claim you dont. I will tell you guys later if mine was in spec or not.

Last edited by zland; 06-05-2006 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:30 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Here is a pic of the factory springs (black) and B & G in red. Notice the windings of the red, B & G are progressive giving a firmer spring rate yet smoother ride.

Old 09-29-2003, 10:36 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

As some of you guys know, my brother has been a master Tech for Nissan for years and was working for Nissan from the pre 240Z era until a couple of years ago. The nice things is he is able to do things like install these springs for me rather than going to shops where you dont know the Techs. He installed these in about an hour. simple install really. Back is just 1 both, drop out and replace. Fronts more difficult but not hard. You need to compress the springs in the front which might be a problem for a home install.

If you guys need springs installed, his shop is a good option. Surfside Auto in Oceanside (760) 631-3606. If interested, ask for Tooky (Nickname, real name is Steve but no one calls him by that).

Last edited by zland; 06-05-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:40 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Rear wheel close up. No, the 295/35-18 HRES do not rub in the rear!

Old 09-29-2003, 10:42 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Fts are 265/35-18's and they do not rub either. Bob at HRE did the offsets right!

Old 09-29-2003, 10:43 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

ft pic dropped

Old 09-29-2003, 10:51 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Anyone that is undecided on springs or suspension and wants to check mine out, just pm me. I live in Oceanside Ca so for you so californians, i might be close by.

I hope all of this gives you guys options and helps out....Jeff

Old 09-29-2003, 11:42 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice drop height it does make your hre's look "bigger" now that the well space is less.

from that last pic, i see your rear wheels buckle out a little.....i think you will need adjustable camber arms.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:43 AM
little_rod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, that drop made me forget you had 18s. The rims definitely do look bigger with the drop. Thing I hate about springs is you need to adjust camber, that extra cost is a real downer for springs.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:38 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Yes, cost to get alignment is a bummer. I tried Teins but decided against them due to metal to metal noise, high cost, + I feel if I am going to step up to higher level suspension, I think I will go NISMO Suspension. This is most likely a stop gap for me. If I track it and decide I need more neutral handling, I will go to Nismo, otherwise I will stick with these.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:54 AM
Lateapex

What are the springs' rates?
Old 09-30-2003, 08:19 AM
350zya

"zland"

I am very interested in these springs when will they be for sale?? Is their more of a camber issue due to the bigger drop? A lot of people with eibachs were able to have their camber pulled within factory specs...is it going to be harder to have proper alignment due to the bigger drop these springs offer?
Old 09-30-2003, 08:19 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Manufacture rep did not say rates exactly but told me they are stiffer than stock (but did not say by how much) but that as I observed, progressive spring makes them feel softer on hwy for small bumps yet more responsive.

If you really want to know rate of springs, contact Greg Vogel at Mossy Nissan at 760-720-9797 or pm him on this website. He can find out for you since he works with them on all their designs be it SER, Altima, or Z.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:34 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by 350zya
"zland"

I am very interested in these springs when will they be for sale?? Is their more of a camber issue due to the bigger drop? A lot of people with eibachs were able to have their camber pulled within factory specs...is it going to be harder to have proper alignment due to the bigger drop these springs offer?
They are made in Europe. He did a final measurement on mine, decide they were good for production and he is confirming my set is spec'ed for production. They will manufacture them, ship first set and should be ready for sale in 2 months at Mossy Nissan.

The ht in ft is lowered by 1" thus Eibachs are 1.2" and lower in rear so Eibach rears are lower by .2". These B & G springs are 1" lowered ft compared to Eibach that are .8" drop in front thus lower than Eibach by .2" in ft. More of a camber issue in ft and less of a camber ssue in rear than Eibach is my bet. I will know for sure very soon when I get them aligned.

Last edited by zland; 09-30-2003 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:58 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Lateapex
What are the springs' rates?
I have contacted the company directly once before to get spring rates for another application a couple of years ago. I was not easy to get them to tell me. I think the only reason they told me the rates was because they understood the real reason I was asking, not just someone trying to steal their knowledge. In other words they likely still operate in the protective mode. Still I'd like to know their spring rates, only way to know how they REALLY are against the Eibachs.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:59 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by Gcoupe35
I have contacted the company directly once before to get spring rates for another application a couple of years ago. I was not easy to get them to tell me. I think the only reason they told me the rates was because they understood the real reason I was asking, not just someone trying to steal their knowledge. In other words they likely still operate in the protective mode. Still I'd like to know their spring rates, only way to know how they REALLY are against the Eibachs.
Again, I think the best way to get this info is to talk to Greg V @Mossy Nissan in Oceanside. They have a working relationship thus trust. He can relay info to you.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:40 PM
Lateapex

Thanks. I'll contact Mossy.

Yeah, Gcoupe35, I just went through the effort of trying to get anti-swaybar rates from Stillen, Eibach and EVO; and not only could/would they not tell me, none of them could tell me the OEM rates. Apparently, they take dimensional data from the stock pieces and run it through some software that generates material configuration that corresponds to their target-rates.

I had to drag swaybar equations from my archive and do the 'headwork' myself (more fun, anyway).
Old 09-30-2003, 03:14 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Lateapex
Thanks. I'll contact Mossy.

Yeah, Gcoupe35, I just went through the effort of trying to get anti-swaybar rates from Stillen, Eibach and EVO; and not only could/would they not tell me, none of them could tell me the OEM rates. Apparently, they take dimensional data from the stock pieces and run it through some software that generates material configuration that corresponds to their target-rates.

I had to drag swaybar equations from my archive and do the 'headwork' myself (more fun, anyway).
Huh, EVO revealed their stiffness rates in LBS on this board, even down to each of the front and rear bars three settings. Same post also mentions the stock bars rates in LBS. NOW, as far as everyone else in LBS, better break out the sway bar testing machine cause like you found out, nobodies talkin

Quick Reply: B & G springs, Eibach alternative