Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

How much to dremel when installing toe bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 06:42 PM
chrisjersey06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much to dremel when installing toe bolt?

Hey all, I'm installing my Ichiba toe bolts this week and I'm wondering how much to dremel away. There was no template or anything in the box from Ichiba other than the camber arms with the toe bolts in them.

So I'm guessing there's something online that they expect you to use when installing them. I looked on their website and found nothing. As far as I know there is only an SPC template, and I tried printing the version in the DIY section that someone posted and it came out HUGE, so obviously I can't use that one. Should I just eyeball it? Any help is much appreciated.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:16 PM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

follow instruction here. Just installed mine last week so any question, just ask.

http://turboneticsownersclub.com/tur...oltinstall.pdf

template here. Print it out.

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...-template.html
Old 07-05-2009, 07:26 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Use the template if you can, but it isnt necessary.

Dremel a bit out at a time, testing periodically until you have taken out enough material.

To test, simply insert the bolt with the two cams on either side. If the cam can rotate in the slot enough to where the bolt is farthest inboard you will have taken out enough material. In total, it should rotate about 270 degrees. It won't rotate the full 360deg because you only need to remove inboard material from the slot (since you arent elongating the outboard side of the slot, the cam bolt won't rotate fully in that direction).

I made a picture for another thread that may help:

Last edited by guitman32; 07-05-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:27 PM
chrisjersey06

Originally Posted by *ICE*
follow instruction here. Just installed mine last week so any question, just ask.

http://turboneticsownersclub.com/tur...oltinstall.pdf

template here. Print it out.

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...-template.html
I know physically how to do it, just not how much to cut.

And that is the template I mentioned above that I printed but came out way bigger than it should have been. Maybe on that guy's printer it came out the right size but on mine it was a totally different scale. You could have fit 5 of those toe bolts in there.

Originally Posted by guitman32
Use the template if you can, but it isnt necessary.

Dremel a bit out at a time, testing periodically until you have taken out enough material.

To test, simply insert the bolt with the two cams on either side. If the cam can rotate in the slot enough to where the bolt is farthest inboard you will have taken out enough material. In total, it should rotate about 270 degrees. It won't rotate the full 360deg because you only need to remove inboard material from the slot (since you arent elongating the outboard side of the slot, the cam bolt won't rotate fully in that direction).
Thank you, that was a big help!
Old 04-20-2010, 01:02 PM
gorillagoggles

Just wanted to revive this thread. Installing my Ichiba camber arms and toe bolts tomorrow and instead of worrying about the template, I thought I would just use common sense, and guitman32's awesome description of toe allignment. Thanks again man, clears everything up!
Old 04-20-2010, 01:06 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by gorillagoggles
Just wanted to revive this thread. Installing my Ichiba camber arms and toe bolts tomorrow and instead of worrying about the template, I thought I would just use common sense, and guitman32's awesome description of toe allignment. Thanks again man, clears everything up!
Return them, there have been problems with the arms failing and their toe bolts stripping the threads.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:09 PM
gorillagoggles

Serious? I heard a couple people complaing but didn't think it was a serious problem, more an unlikely event for the people it happened to.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:04 PM
chrisjersey06

I've had these for a little less than a year now and no problems.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:44 PM
gorillagoggles

Perfect, I'm not blaming bad install on the ones that have failed, but overtorquing could lead to premature failure of that rubber bushing. I'll install mine and see how it goes, take it for a couple hard runs at the track and see if it'll hold up