Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

H&R sways vs. Cusco sways

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:52 AM
eddiebrock71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R sways vs. Cusco sways

Looking for individusls with either of these sway bars sets Cusco or H&R. I am trying to decide between the two. Specs and reviews are welcome.

This is not asking about any other sway bars. Only post for the above two brands.

MY car:
2008 350z
Stock suspension
19 inch LMGT4 NISMO wheels 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear
Goodyear Eagle F1-GSD3 245/35/19 front and 275/35/19 rear

What I know about the Cusco bars: 120 or 137% front increase, and 173% rear increase or it has been said 20% front/37% front and 73% rear.

Theses were made for 2003-4 models. Since the 04.5 has stiffer front bars of 17%. would not the fronts really be 3% or 20% stiffer up front. Rear is not modified for 2008 so the rear would be 73% stiffer.

If I do change tires they will be 255/35/19 front and 285/35/19 rear. so not much different I will keep pretty much the same stagger.

How would the Cuscos effect understeer or oversteer?
[COLOR="Red"]

I Have no specs on the H&R so it would be a crap shoot.

Reasons I chose these two bar sets is for not having to use poly bushings. I very much dislike them.
And any lowering spring that I may consider id the swift sport springs, but I doubt that since the rear is softer then stock.

Only other mod for suspension I am looking at is Bilstein HD shocks.

Last edited by eddiebrock71; 07-14-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

H&R or 350EVO, Progress doesn't look bad either.

Do not buy the H&R just because it has the thickest solid front bar you can get, not unless your going to be doing stock class SCCA, which you can't if you add all the other parts your asking about in other threads.

No to the Cusco because of the non adjustable rear bar. I had them, awesome bar set for the 03/04 suspension and maybe their coilovers. I pulled them off the car and sold them the minute I changed setups and needed to tone down the rear bar strength and couldn't because the rear isn't adjustable.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:59 PM
eddiebrock71

Well I cannot find stiffness specs on the H&R sways. I am not looking for the biggest front sway bar. H&R's are a good company, and they have quiet bushings. I hate poly bushings, I had them on numerous cars, and they are to noisy for me, plus I hate greasing bushings. H&R and Cusco do no use poly bushings. Hence only two options.

The Z has some understeer, of a stiffer setting on the rear could help dial out some of it.

Right now it looks like I will not be getting springs, the only option would be swift as of now, and they look to have a lower rear spring rate. I am not to the point where I would be driving to need adjustbility, so it is not a concern for me.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Gsedan35

Yes, take note that you can't find H&R specs thank god for a honest company, thats is a wonderfull thing. IMO most published bar specs cannot be taken as true, save for EVO350, Cusco and maybe progress.

A much better cure for understeer is to get the front tires working better and to install a tire and wheel setup that increases the front contact patch. Doing just a rear bar stiffness increase will compromise rear grip and delay the point you can roll into the throttle as cornering loads ease.

Sway bar's are ment to fine tune a already dialed in setup that has your fnial spring choice. As such they must be adjustable to find the correct stiffness mix to accomplish that task. If you wish to repeat my mistake, have at it. But you mention two bar choices, go with the H&R since it has the bushing makeup you desire.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 07-14-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:01 AM
eddiebrock71

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Yes, take note that you can't find H&R specs thank god for a honest company, thats is a wonderfull thing. IMO most published bar specs cannot be taken as true, save for EVO350, Cusco and maybe progress.

A much better cure for understeer is to get the front tires working better and to install a tire and wheel setup that increases the front contact patch. Doing just a rear bar stiffness increase will compromise rear grip and delay the point you can roll into the throttle as cornering loads ease.

Sway bar's are ment to fine tune a already dialed in setup that has your fnial spring choice. As such they must be adjustable to find the correct stiffness mix to accomplish that task. If you wish to repeat my mistake, have at it. But you mention two bar choices, go with the H&R since it has the bushing makeup you desire.
I am not looking at the biggest front sway bar, I am looking at the set. That is why I am asking. And just from the specs I am guessing with the Cuscos set to full stiff, the car should be more flat and neutral.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by eddiebrock71
I am not looking at the biggest front sway bar, I am looking at the set. That is why I am asking. And just from the specs I am guessing with the Cuscos set to full stiff, the car should be more flat and neutral.

You already said you weren't after a the biggest front bar and that your choice was based on bushings. Me not bring up that point in my second post was me getting that point. Why your reposting the subject,.................

Again, you have listed two bar choices and I have explained why you should go with the H&R set, has zip zero to do with it's front bar diameter, which should be pretty clear given the effort I went to posting the reason's why.

Also keep in mind that you have a revised suspension on your car, which has a 17% stiffer front bar and 25% stiffer rear springs vs the published specs from Cusco.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:47 AM
eddiebrock71

I edited the original post, as I am running NISMO 19 inch wheels with the recommend tires 245/35/19 front and 275/35/19 rear. goodyear f1 gs-d3 tires. so you think the cusco rear would be too stiff for that set up. I am looking for neutral steer really. nice daily driver, but better performance on the track then stock.

Still would like to have a general idea of the H&R specs. That makes it even harder to make a good decision. But they do have an adjustable rear. But adjustability is not a necessity for me.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Sleepy79

Yeah there is not much info on the H&R's, I gambled.
I have no info on how they feel, and cannot give a review because I had done several changes to my setup.

19" wheels: 10" 255 front, 11" rear 285.
SPC arms front, and rear
gtspec fender braces

Main reasons going with H&R are the bushings, rear will work with the HKS dual TI, and this one may sound stupid, I figured I went with german coilovers (bilstein) why not sways?

Currently I am waiting for my fender roller to come in, and then I will insure, align and see how I like it on the track. No corner balance this time, I still have a cf hatch and some more work planned for next year.