Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

KW owners or others, to adjust the rear dampers ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:04 PM
LaoSiFu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question KW owners or others, to adjust the rear dampers ...

I had my rear coilovers adjusted since day one and never adjusted it again (I know I wasted a coilovers). Well I finally got some free time and wanted to do something about it. I was curious to see what did you guys did? If you guys cut a hole out do you have any pictures? I know Rickdogg has a picture but I would also like to see others since he completely removed that rear strut bar. Please post so it would give me an idea on cutting. or you have an alternative solution that would be greatly appreciated as well.

~Robert
Old 08-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IIRC you have the Variant 3 setup.

Rebound is from the top of the piston shaft, but compression is from the top of the gas canisters.

Be very carefully how you make changes, DA dampers are far more difficult to dial in correctly. It's all too easy to set things in the wrong direction. If you haven't already you might want to look up Koni's recommended process for dialing in that kind of setup. Honestly, it wasn't til I had my DA Truechoice setup dyno'd that I was really able to set them well.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 08-20-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-14-2009, 06:48 AM
LaoSiFu

Thanks Gsedan35, you have always been a help when it comes to suspension. I will read up on the Koni thing. Is it true that Koni are the maker for the damper on the KWs?

Bump for anyone who has cut a hole in the rear

~Robert
Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LaoSiFu
Thanks Gsedan35, you have always been a help when it comes to suspension. I will read up on the Koni thing. Is it true that Koni are the maker for the damper on the KWs?

Bump for anyone who has cut a hole in the rear

~Robert
Well that's what I have heard, and I did notice that what was shown in their motorsports catalog fior the Z were relabeled Koni 4-way adjustables. HOWEVER, having had Variant 2's in hand to run on the dyno, and having owned Koni yellows, to me the quality is another level up in Kw's favor so I have my doubts because of that. Not to say the Koni's were lacking, just that the Kw product had a lot of details that were simply done better.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LaoSiFu
I had my rear coilovers adjusted since day one and never adjusted it again (I know I wasted a coilovers). Well I finally got some free time and wanted to do something about it. I was curious to see what did you guys did? If you guys cut a hole out do you have any pictures? I know Rickdogg has a picture but I would also like to see others since he completely removed that rear strut bar. Please post so it would give me an idea on cutting. or you have an alternative solution that would be greatly appreciated as well.

~Robert

if you're talking about the rebound adjustment on the top of the shock body, there is a pre-existing hole there albeit a very small one, i used a stepped drill bit and opened it wide enough such that i could see the 2mm hex adjustment **** on the top-

to make it easier and prevent me from dropping the tiny tool that KW gives you, i made a super long 2mm hex wrench.. you can get the same thing at Craftsman/Sears.

like this:
Old 08-18-2009, 12:26 PM
zettahertz

yeah, I just drilled two holes in the rear strut tower so that i can access the adjustment at the top of the struts. I posted something about this in the past as well.

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...-kw-v2-v3.html

And this post has a good pic, basically what I did:
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...installed.html

Last edited by zettahertz; 08-18-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:16 PM
LaoSiFu

Thanks everyone!!! I don't have the necessary tools but I am going to ask Technosquare to help me while I drop my car off for some work

~Robert
Old 08-29-2009, 10:03 PM
ac419

i have the v2's for the g coupe.. i was wondering how to adjust the rears as well.. my shop told me they had to be completely removed to adjust the rears. anyone have any idea? or have some pics? thanks