Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Alignment done.. quick question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:32 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NismoZ_840
Does the out of spec SAI on the right of concern? From what I understand SAI isn't adjustable, just a resulting geometery. Thanks!
Not too sure about that... I dont even know what the hell SAI is. The only things i know how to read on these printouts are my primary angles.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:39 AM
rotchcrocket04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SAI is the measurement in degrees of the steering pivot line when viewed from the front of the vehicle. This angle, when added to the camber to form the included angle (see below) causes the vehicle to lift slightly when you turn the wheel away from a straight ahead position. This action uses the weight of the vehicle to cause the steering wheel to return to the center when you let go of it after making a turn. Because of this, if the SAI is different from side to side, it will cause a pull at very slow speeds. Most alignment machines have a way to measure SAI; however it is not separately adjustable. The most likely cause for SAI being out is bent parts which must be replaced to correct the condition. SAI is also referred to as KPI (King Pin Inclination) on trucks and old cars with king pins instead of ball joints.

Included angle is the angle formed between the SAI and the camber. Included angle is not directly measurable. To determine the included angle, you add the SAI to the camber. If the camber is negative, then the included angle will be less than the SAI, if the camber is positive, it will be greater. The included angle must be the same from side to side even if the camber is different. If it is not the same, then something is bent, most likely the steering knuckle.

With that said, I'm agreeing with GeauxLadyZ. The specs on their sheet look good...

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
your toe being out is what is more important for tire wear.
Toe is VERY important in tire wear. If that gets out of spec you'll chew through tires faster than running negative camber any day. Make sure your toe is in check - I know alot of guys prefer to run 0.05 (same as GeauxLadyZ) as this is what I'm running as well and it has been working quite well.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Asian Invasian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rotchcrocket04

With that said, I'm agreeing with GeauxLadyZ. The specs on their sheet look good...

Toe is VERY important in tire wear. If that gets out of spec you'll chew through tires faster than running negative camber any day. Make sure your toe is in check - I know alot of guys prefer to run 0.05 (same as GeauxLadyZ) as this is what I'm running as well and it has been working quite well.
Thanks for the response, here in couple days I am going to go ahead and get the alignment redone to a toe spec of .05 which is what seems like a lot of people are running with no issues.