Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

H&R Coilovers Installed and Reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:48 PM
solidfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R Coilovers Installed and Reviewed

edit: I am updating my review of these coilovers as my initial review was inaccurate. I had the coilovers installed incorrectly which affected the ride quality. Here is a more accurate review of the H&R coilovers:

The only other coilover setup I've driven is BC racing.

The H&R coilovers are progressive springs and there is no dampener control on the shocks (comes preset from H&R). H&R does not disclose their spring rates, which sucks, but I think they are comparable to BC, if not a bit stiffer. There is a big range of height adjustment. H&R states a 1.0" to 2.25" drop range. The coilovers are 1 way height adjustable.

Ride quality is comparable to BC, perhaps slightly stiffer. My initial review said the ride was very stiff, but this was due to me dropping the car only .75". I have other threads in the suspension section asking about preloading springs. There is too much load on these springs if you drop less than 1.0". This is why H&R recommends at least 1.0" drop. After adjusting the drop to about 1.2", the ride quality significantly increased and this setup was very easy for daily driving.

On the daily roads the suspension held comfortably through the bumps and dips. There is noticable difference than stock of course. I wasn't able to autox in these yet but steep on ramp turns felt more in control and the car was well balanced. There was almost zero body roll.

The thing to note is that these coilovers require at least a 1.0" drop. Thats kind of the drawback of using 1-way adjustable coilovers (you put load on the springs to raise the car). But then again, I suppose if you want less than a 1" drop, you shouldn't be looking at coilovers anyways.

Some installation tips: The rear spring perch sits on the bottom, not top, like BC racing. This makes it difficult to adjust while the spring is loaded. Luckily, its very easy to access our rear springs on the 350z. Also, during install the rear rubber mount (lower) should be removed to give a metal-to-metal contact between the spring perch and spring bucket. I didn't like this so I kept the rubber mount in. This didn't cause a problem and avoided any noises.

Generally, the cost of H&R coilovers seems comparable to BC racing. But for some reason, these coilovers can occassionally go on sale for a very low price. I think the MSRP is like $1300 or so but I was able to find sets for under $900.
Attached Thumbnails H&R Coilovers Installed and Reviewed-01.jpg   H&R Coilovers Installed and Reviewed-02.jpg   H&R Coilovers Installed and Reviewed-05.jpg   H&R Coilovers Installed and Reviewed-06.jpg   H&R Coilovers Installed and Reviewed-12.jpg  

Last edited by solidfish; 10-19-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:20 AM
GT-Z

nice
Old 10-06-2009, 07:08 AM
JDMFairlady21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool. I actually have them sitting @ my shop as well. I gotta do a write up when I get it on finally.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:34 PM
black06z

Nice wheels.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:41 AM
zenmstr

you need to slam the car. it will make the car look way better.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by zenmstr
you need to slam the car. it will make the car look way better.
Function over form, not everyone does things just for looks.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:06 PM
blitz2k1

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Function over form, not everyone does things just for looks.
looks awesome the way it is. Slamming looks like crap and probably gives you worse handling
Old 10-07-2009, 10:03 PM
solidfish

thanks. i do need some spacers though
Old 10-09-2009, 08:01 PM
GT-ER

I have these and thought they were way too stiff....I took of the rear bump stop completely and the car transformed! Comfort went up big time because the car was always riding on the rear bump stops. Now I have to find a way to make a smaller bump stop but I've been using it for a few weeks without the bump stop and it has yet to bottom out ( and I live on the moon ).
Old 06-18-2012, 02:22 PM
B-Mackin

I'm going to be insatlling these within the next couple of weeks, dose anyone know of a good how to write up?
Old 06-04-2013, 02:20 PM
alby13

I purchased my 350Z and it came with the 1-way adjustable H&R Coilovers installed.

I have used this thread for referencing information and I finally am sitting down to add to this thread.

When I got the car the suspension was slammed and the performance was heavily affected. Driving the car casually around town was fine, except that the stiffness was very sharp and strong, and the suspension travel was limited. Sweeping corners were bouncy and the rear end didn't want to stay planted.

I adjusted the suspension to about a 1 inch drop and the comfort increased significantly, and equally importantly the performance increased. Road holding is excellent and performance stiff, great for a road course track.

The rear does make a clunking sound at low speeds over bumps. This is because it is a metal bucket holding the springs, a metal perch under the spring, and a metal spring. This is how H&R recommends it to be installed, although when I called them they said, "It's your car, you can put rubber," unofficially. They said that they did not get reports of sound coming from the rear of the car, which I was surprised to hear. The noise increased when the car was raised to 1 inch.

The feel of the coilovers is soft over flat and mild bumps and normal driving, and stiff, nearing harsh, over high speed dips and drops in the road. Performance is excellent, although you wish that there was more adjustability. The minor clunking in the rear is a big enough issue because such a high quality suspension shouldn't have this problem.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:48 AM
ProPartsUSA
Vendor - Former Vendor

Alby13,

The problem is that H&R has recommendations of how low you can go before warranties are void due to possibly bottoming out. Like you have experienced, you were probably riding on bumpstops which would make the handling very poor. Glad you like it though.

For anyone else interested in the H&R coilovers, we do have a special on these

https://my350z.com/forum/suspension/...-specials.html
Old 09-17-2013, 01:41 AM
alby13

Originally Posted by ProPartsUSA
Alby13,

The problem is that H&R has recommendations of how low you can go before warranties are void due to possibly bottoming out. Like you have experienced, you were probably riding on bumpstops which would make the handling very poor. Glad you like it though.

For anyone else interested in the H&R coilovers, we do have a special on these

https://my350z.com/forum/suspension/...-specials.html
No, I was not riding on bumpstops. I have quite a lot of experience with suspension systems, using aftermarket lowering springs, aftermarket struts, and a fully adjustable coil over setup.

The H&R coil overs are pretty dummy proof, but I do think that a lot of people have the mindset to lower the car just to make it look good. This system works in a realistic ride height, and I would more compare it to a matched spring and strut combination than an adjustable race suspension.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:51 PM
CJs_Z33

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just installed my H&R coilovers today. But first, I'd like to thank phenom for taking the time to answer some questions i had on these coilovers through private message. And thanks to bmurray350z for also taking the time to answer some questions and for direct messaging me on instagram pics of his coilover adjustments. That helped out a lot. Anyways, on to the pictures

Before: (stock suspension)

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  27.5 KB

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  25.0 KB

After: (h&r coilovers)

Name:  IMG_0039.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  21.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0034-2.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  32.4 KB

Last edited by CJs_Z33; 01-07-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by CJs_Z33
I just installed my H&R coilovers today. But first, I'd like to thank phenom for taking the time to answer some questions i had on these coilovers through private message. And thanks to bmurray350z for also taking the time to answer some questions and for direct messaging me on instagram pics of his coilover adjustments. That helped out a lot. Anyways, on to the pictures

Looking good with the drop
Old 01-09-2015, 11:56 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Phenom

Looking good with the drop