Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

$1k-1.3k coilovers budget

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:06 PM
sunnyboii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $1k-1.3k coilovers budget

Yes i know theres a search button but i can't seem to make a decision

The coilovers will be strictly for streets, NO TRACK (live in socal)

i've searched on Bc racing series Br, Teins basics, Kw 2, Bilstein pss, Tanabe Pro 5, Stance Gr+ OEM

My question:

For the lists provided above which is the fastest and cheapest to rebuild if anything goes wrong? I trust Tanabe's out of all the list but when i researched it it's likely to be very expensive to rebuild and its almost buying another set same goes with Kw 2

Bc racing series and Stance Gr+ are mass production i think its lower in product quality than the others, Correct me if im wrong.

i KNow this is all for street but i do want a somewhat quality

Thank you for reading it all if that make any sense
Old 12-14-2009, 07:08 PM
*Boose*

If you want quality then start over. I'd suggest Cusco Zero series, hks hypermax, consider the Nismo S tune or a higher grade Tein like their EDFC. But to find any of these in your price range you'll have to sit on the marketplace for a while.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:44 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any coilover in that price range will not be of high quality. It seems that anything decent starts around $1500. I'm sure you'll get 10 people replying how their tein basics are the best thing since sliced bread. Let's be realistic. If you search around and read the shock dyno results on some of these budget setups, they're not good. First start with this: what is it that you're after that makes you want coilovers? Are you looking for adjustability? Do you just want a visual drop? Better dampening and ride comfort? Despite to what you'll read on this board, coilovers are not the answer to everything.

Personally, I think you can't go wrong with Bilstein. If you can work them into your budget, I think you will not be disappointed. They've been proven over and over again to be of very good quality and they can be easily serviced and rebuilt.

Last edited by Ziggyrama; 12-15-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:50 AM
nismo542

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i am happy with my stance gr+. they are of good quality. i know this from the huge bump i hit on the interstate the other day at 85 mph. the susension bottomed out and i am pretty sure some metal scarped the ground. coilovers were not damaged. that bump would have killed most shocks.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:06 AM
rxkevin

Bilsteins are by far the best / most comfortable coilovers I've used. I would save up a bit more. I got the PSS10s from Adam@z1. They were extremely easy to install and set up.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:36 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Bilstein PSS9s myself...They are fully rebuildable. I bought mine used and sent them to Bilstein for inspection before installing. Service and communication were good. They even offer rush service if needed: http://www.bilsteinus.com/services.php

The value of the adjustability of the PSS9/10s damping has been called into question after people have posted shock dynos so I would save a bit and just go for the PSS.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Z_flip

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/coilovers.asp --- depending what you get... but if you set them on soft they're actually DD-able. Really get coilovers IMO
Old 12-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Take a look here.

https://my350z.com/forum/suspension/...coilovers.html
Old 12-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bilstein = lifetime warranty
Old 12-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We offer almost all of what you have on that list (and what others have mentioned). I've used them on various cars (all Z's), so I know them first hand, on this specific car.

The Bilstein are far and away your best choice of that list - the PSS would be a very good setup in that price range

2 facilities in the US, west and east coast, one of the oldest names in suspension, and they behave perfectly for a street car - well controlled, firmer than stock without being punishing at all. Nissan could have offered them as a factory option, that is how well composed they are
Old 12-15-2009, 06:43 PM
bardabe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how come anyone hasn't mentioned Koni Yellow's with a Ground Control Spring/coilover kit?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:58 PM
cliffrlp

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
We offer almost all of what you have on that list (and what others have mentioned). I've used them on various cars (all Z's), so I know them first hand, on this specific car.

The Bilstein are far and away your best choice of that list - the PSS would be a very good setup in that price range

2 facilities in the US, west and east coast, one of the oldest names in suspension, and they behave perfectly for a street car - well controlled, firmer than stock without being punishing at all. Nissan could have offered them as a factory option, that is how well composed they are

I love my PSS set up...I didn't need the PSS9/10 just because i'm not tracking the car. But drop/ride quality are great with the PSS!
BUT out of all those...I think the STANCE by far give you the lowest drop, so if that's what's important...go with STANCE. But quality of build, performance, and comfort are what you're looking for...Bilstein PSS for sure.

I also got mine from Adam, really good guy to work with!
Old 12-16-2009, 03:44 PM
sunnyboii

Thank you for all the replies, i was too busy at work and didn't have the time.

Well i was looking at pss just for couple minutes and searching

People recommend *revalving?* Whats the point of that? i KNow that it can give better comfort rides and handling but isn't that what buying a coilovers is all about? Whats the point of buying a set and Re*Fix it?
Old 12-17-2009, 05:55 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Only necessary when using different springs than are supplied. For sporting applications, people are switching out the supplied progressive rate spring with stiffer linear springs.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:25 AM
scenehouser

I've got my eyes in the Bilstein PSS B14.

Can the ride height be set same as stock with these?
Old 12-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

yes
Old 12-29-2009, 12:23 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

i have the cusco zero-2's simply amazing coilovers...u could find a used set in that price rangefor sure
Old 12-30-2009, 01:25 AM
scenehouser

do the bilstein b14 pss use the same configuration as the stock rear suspension with the shock and the spring being seperate?

and how do the bilstein b14 pss compare to the nismo s-tune setup?

i will use my car 98% for street use and would like the suspension to be a little firmer than stock and ofcourse less body roll in the corners.

Last edited by scenehouser; 12-30-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:57 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scenehouser
do the bilstein b14 pss use the same configuration as the stock rear suspension with the shock and the spring being seperate?
yes

and how do the bilstein b14 pss compare to the nismo s-tune setup?
They are completely different. The S Tune are simply a matched set of springs and struts. They do not let you change dampening as you can on the PSS10, and they don't let you alter rideheight at all, like any of the PSS series do. They do behave nicely overall, but the drop is quite modest.

i will use my car 98% for street use and would like the suspension to be a little firmer than stock and ofcourse less body roll in the corners.
From the above, it all depends on what you want/need.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:13 AM
scenehouser

which will set the best laptimes on a citcuit with a lot of corners? the s-tune or the pss b14?

i think both setups will be more than acceptable for me comfort wise so i just want the best handling setup.

the adjustable ride height on the b14 pss is def. a plus but not that important since i can't dorp my car more than half an inch because of speedbumps in my street.

Quick Reply: $1k-1.3k coilovers budget