Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

strange sound when i first get in gear bbk installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010 | 02:40 PM
Touring2004

Default strange sound when i first get in gear bbk installed

Hello,

I hope someone can give me some pointers. Iv'e searched around the forums for someone with a similar problem but without much luck.

I have a Wilwood BBK installed, it has been in place with no problems since june 09. Recently after the car has been sitting for some time, particularly/especially during wet weather, a strange groaning sound come from the front brake/wheels when i initialize first gear.

At work today (a rainy day) i left to go out to lunch and started the car. When i began moving the sound was as loud as it has ever been. Just a loud groaning, and almost a feeling that the car is hanging up on something for a second. After moving barely a foot, the sound is gone and does not repeat.

After it initially happened I did many test stops thinking there must be something wrong with the brakes.

On rainy days sometimes the rotors develop some rust on them like many people experience. I thought that it could be possible rust is developing between the rotor and pad and creating this hangup/sound.

While I am driving and during normal braking and aggressive braking the brakes perform perfectly. They do not make a sound. It just seems to happen when I FIRST start the car moving.

Is it possible my brakes are causing this? is there another cause that comes to anyones mind?

Thanks for the input.

Matt
Old 01-17-2010 | 03:10 PM
350Z_Al

Check for worn pads. I know my rear pads on my brembo's were pretty damn worn, after washing the car and parking it over night they were pretty well stuck to the rotors and made a bit of noise before the first couple stops.

Last edited by 350Z_Al; 01-17-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2010 | 03:13 PM
TheFarmer

Originally Posted by Touring2004

On rainy days sometimes the rotors develop some rust on them like many people experience. I thought that it could be possible rust is developing between the rotor and pad and creating this hangup/sound.
Very possible and probably your problem right there. Check pad condition, if they're low replace them.