Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Megan Racing Street coilovers - Yeah or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:48 AM
brady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Megan Racing Street coilovers - Yeah or Nay?

I see people bashing this product while others praise it. Is all the praising/bashing based on experience or opinions?

Anyone actually run these coils at the track sitting in the drivers seat??? I am not looking into coils to lower my car, but to make it handle better in the corners then it already does.

I am in the process of deciding if I put these on my car or not. I don't mind spending more money but why spend more if it's unwarranted?

Car usage, 70% track, 30% street. Mostly HPDE/Club racing at Mosport/Shannonville. My nemesis is a good friend who drives a 997 C2S. I will be running r-compound, will be caged, and have minor power increase to the car.

If nay then any suggestions as to what coil's I should be looking into?

Again I am looking for some constructive feedback from people who have experience with this product.

Thanks!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 06:06 AM
duro78

try the D2's About $900 shipped
Old 04-04-2010, 06:10 AM
brady

Originally Posted by duro78
try the D2's About $900 shipped
humm, why?
Old 04-04-2010, 06:25 AM
Guilty1s

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NEMESIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MPfxtJ8SQgk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MPfxtJ8SQgk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Sways will cough up the best noticable handling improvement for the track when it comes to suspension

FYI... i have quality coilovers and wouldnt trade them for anything. I dont even know what its like to drive without them.

Last edited by Guilty1s; 04-04-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:00 AM
brady

Sweet video, it can be intense when you're out there for sure.

Can you go over the reasoning for changing out my sways? The stock HR's are pretty thick to start with.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Guilty1s

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock sway are more consumer friendly. Stiffer then most other cars, but conventional.

OK... sways... first how i see them. You know that feeling you get when your taking that left turn hard left, your car gets that outside lean, your loosing momentum into your cars body and also loosing slight contact in with tires to ground.

I should have started with what sways do... they tie your opposite suspenesion/wheels (L/R) together sort of, When one is being pulled down cause of throwing weight to one corner when turning, it pull the other side down with it, thus keeping your momentum in your suspension instead of body roll and also keeping your tires more flush with the ground providing more traction.
It is also connected to your body, preventing bodyroll by keeping the body tied to the suspension.
(it makes sence in my head)

Now what upgrading sways do is just improves the stiffness in the bar by a certain percent from stock, thus improving all those results that they where there for anyways. I suggest Hotchkis, decent price, adjustable to 3 settings and can work well.

In essence, it reduces body roll which is bad. It is kinda what your looking for in coilovers (stiffer springs rate i think). Changes factors in understear/overstear.. forget how which works until i look it up everytime. Dont forget the factor in how much it stiffens you up that it could be easier to pop that rear end out.

Last edited by Guilty1s; 04-04-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:15 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

I would go with sways first too, and also look into better coils overs when the time comes.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:35 PM
heyyouduh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have personal experience with similar entry level coilovers (kts, stance) on 240sx, and I would stay away from them. These coilovers generally have sub-par damping when compared to koni/bilstein counterparts, which resulted in a jittery ride on track, seems like the shocks didn't really help the tires do their job (grip). The damping adjustment on these entry level coilovers usually have alot of rebound/compression crosstalk, so adjusting is really kind of pointless.

It's pretty affordable to have some konis revalved (or rebuilt and revalved if you find used ones) to work with the spring rates you want to use. I got tired of the crappy damping on the KTS coilovers and ended up doing a custom koni yellow/ground control set up before I bought the 350. My buddy with the Stance also ended up selling them for a custom Koni set up. The damping should be much better to start with, and the adjustment should be rebound only, with little compression cross talk. And of course you can always get them rebuilt and revalved by several reputable places stateside.

*rant*Coming from the 240sx camp into the 350 camp, I'm surprised how popular these cheaper entry level coilovers are with Z owners. They're really popular with 240 owners as replacement for the 15 year old shitty suspension, but the stock Z suspension is solid, it doesn't make alot of sense to spend almost a grand for marginal, if at all, increase in performance. If a company can't provide dynos for their shocks and can't really talk to you about or advertise their products intelligently, I would stay away./rant

Last edited by heyyouduh; 04-04-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:51 PM
heyyouduh

Originally Posted by Guilty1s
NEMESIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MPfxtJ8SQgk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MPfxtJ8SQgk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Sways will cough up the best noticable handling improvement for the track when it comes to suspension

FYI... i have quality coilovers and wouldnt trade them for anything. I dont even know what its like to drive without them.

AHAHAHA I wish I can have a nemesis
Old 04-05-2010, 07:39 AM
VADER Z

Keep them. I've used them for a year now with absolutely no complaints. They can be adjusted for the street (4 clicks from the softest setting) or make them stiffer for track days (3 clicks from the hardest setting). I am still running them with the springs they have come with and had no issues in autox or hpde. You can spend more on "better" coils but in my humble opinion (from someone who actually runs these coils) you'll have no problem keeping up/beating someone with high end coils. It's all about the driving.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 AM
brady

Originally Posted by VADER Z
Keep them. I've used them for a year now with absolutely no complaints. They can be adjusted for the street (4 clicks from the softest setting) or make them stiffer for track days (3 clicks from the hardest setting). I am still running them with the springs they have come with and had no issues in autox or hpde. You can spend more on "better" coils but in my humble opinion (from someone who actually runs these coils) you'll have no problem keeping up/beating someone with high end coils. It's all about the driving.
Thanks for the input. What tires are you running and do you have any other suspension mods?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:37 AM
heyyouduh

Originally Posted by VADER Z
He hasn't bought them. It is all about the driving, he can stay stock and beat someone with "high end coils," that's not the point here.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:41 PM
brady

Originally Posted by heyyouduh
He hasn't bought them. It is all about the driving, he can stay stock and beat someone with "high end coils," that's not the point here.
Agreed about the point we're trying to decide on but I actually do have these sitting in the garage. I was debating if they were going to get installed or not.

Seeing as there is not really any useful information on these coils I'll stepping up to the plate and spend some money for our community. I'll get these installed tomorrow and compare them to the firstly: the eibach pro-kit I have with the stock suspension (1 summer) and secondly: the new coils that are en-route.

I plan on doing 3 months of street and track on these coils after which I will post my opinion base on experience. I figure 3 months is long enough. Should they be unbearable that 3 months might be 3 days...

Any suggestions on the type of documentation I should be creating to make this venture useful?
Old 04-05-2010, 04:47 PM
heyyouduh

Originally Posted by brady
Agreed about the point we're trying to decide on but I actually do have these sitting in the garage. I was debating if they were going to get installed or not.

Seeing as there is not really any useful information on these coils I'll stepping up to the plate and spend some money for our community. I'll get these installed tomorrow and compare them to the firstly: the eibach pro-kit I have with the stock suspension (1 summer) and secondly: the new coils that are en-route.

I plan on doing 3 months of street and track on these coils after which I will post my opinion base on experience. I figure 3 months is long enough. Should they be unbearable that 3 months might be 3 days...

Any suggestions on the type of documentation I should be creating to make this venture useful?
ah, gotcha. My mistake, I thought you were thinking about buying these to replace the stock suspension. If you already bought them, then by all means make good use of them. You could always get them dynoed by someone but that's alot of work
Old 04-06-2010, 04:49 PM
brady

Got them installed. I'll start a new review thread in a week or so.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Vader007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Megan Racing Anything.........NAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Junk, copycats and bad ones at that.
From thier headers that crack to the long tube headers that are garbage, everything
they make is a cheap knockoff of something else.