Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

2-piece rotors for stock calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 04:51 AM
QNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-piece rotors for stock calipers?

For the occasional weekend SCCA races... I am warping the hell out of my stock front rotors. 2-piece should take of this. I don't want to break the bank, and I'm not needing or wanting the expense of a full BBK.

Any recommendations? I'm thinking slotted, not drilled, just for longevity, but is that really an issue?
Old 04-16-2010, 05:12 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

for brembo yes, for std calipers, never seen them
Old 04-16-2010, 05:19 AM
QNman

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
for brembo yes, for std calipers, never seen them
They're out there... I've found 'em. Rotora makes some.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:50 AM
burntZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

time for some brake cooling?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/63105/10002/-1
Old 04-16-2010, 09:24 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes you can use 2-piece rotors. Not certain why they would function any better than 1-piece rotors.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Brrcats

Originally Posted by davidv
Yes you can use 2-piece rotors. Not certain why they would function any better than 1-piece rotors.
Well if they look cooler, then they run cooler

its science
Old 04-16-2010, 10:39 AM
350junkie

It's not that they brake harder/longer. The theory to it is that the friction surface can expand/contract freely from the hub as it heats/cools to reduce warping.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:45 AM
NismoZ_840

I'm thinking a 2 piece rotor won't do much to help warp issues. What pads are you running? I've been running Ferodo DS2500 and recently (rookie but lap times have dropped dramatically ~5-6 seconds as I improved) had multiple warped rotor issues even after being paranoidly careful with cool down laps and pit in braking. My theory is I'm outdriving these pads now (they're a 1000F pad) and they are spotting during fast laps. I've read elsewhere this is a possibilty for warping rotors and since I'm fairly confident its not post hot laps I'm moving to Hawk DTC60, a 1600F pad, to see if I can keep my rotors happy.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:47 PM
QNman

Originally Posted by 350junkie
It's not that they brake harder/longer. The theory to it is that the friction surface can expand/contract freely from the hub as it heats/cools to reduce warping.
This. It works on motorcycles... why wouldn't it work on cars? Better venting of the rotors, and 2-piece design = less warpage.

Originally Posted by NismoZ_840
I'm thinking a 2 piece rotor won't do much to help warp issues. What pads are you running? I've been running Ferodo DS2500 and recently (rookie but lap times have dropped dramatically ~5-6 seconds as I improved) had multiple warped rotor issues even after being paranoidly careful with cool down laps and pit in braking. My theory is I'm outdriving these pads now (they're a 1000F pad) and they are spotting during fast laps. I've read elsewhere this is a possibilty for warping rotors and since I'm fairly confident its not post hot laps I'm moving to Hawk DTC60, a 1600F pad, to see if I can keep my rotors happy.
Still on stock pads... those will be upgraded with rotors. To what, I don't know yet. Any suggestions in that regard would also be helpful.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:51 PM
QNman

Not asking if I CAN run them... asking for recommendations of whose.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:52 PM
QNman

Originally Posted by Brrcats
Well if they look cooler, then they run cooler

its science
It's called "physics" and "heat transfer" and has nothing to do with "looks". I didn't ask what brand of caliper covers to use.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:04 PM
plumpzz

If you're on stock pads try running carbotech xp12 in the front and xp10 in the rear
Old 04-18-2010, 08:19 AM
NismoZ_840

Carbotechs are great pads from what I hear, but run close to $200 for a front pair. Note: price/info below is based on my research for Brembo pads, but standard pads should be similar although maybe not always available or there may be other options I'm missing.

Since you're running stock pads there are some intermediate, less expensive options. A general upgrade/price/max temp path might include EBC Yellowstuff, Ferodo DS2500, Ferodo DS3000, and Hawk DTC60/70.

It would be a shame to warp some high zoot 2 piece rotors because your pads or your braking habits are the cause. Here's a great article on warping and what causes it, and what you can do to help prevent it: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

As for rotors, you might want to consider cheap Autozone/Checker/local auto store rotors while you sort out the brake and warping issues. They make a good backup set too in case you crack a rotor at the track and need to get home or replace rotor that is starting to warp (i.e. catch it early and a resurface may fix it: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_padremoval.shtml)

More great brake info here: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/te...e_papers.shtml

From there I think Centric and Beck Arnley are logical upgrades based on other people's recommendations. I'll be testing Hawk DTC60 and Centric Premium blanks on the front here shortly to see if I can get rid of my warping issues.

Also, it seems most recommend blank rotors for the track and stay completely away from cross drilled as they are more prone to cracking. I've heard mixed things about slotted rotors and since they usually cost most than blanks, I prefer to just stay with the blanks.

Good luck!

Last edited by NismoZ_840; 04-18-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:49 AM
QNman

Originally Posted by NismoZ_840
Carbotechs are great pads from what I hear, but run close to $200 for a front pair. Note: price/info below is based on my research for Brembo pads, but standard pads should be similar although maybe not always available or there may be other options I'm missing.

Since you're running stock pads there are some intermediate, less expensive options. A general upgrade/price/max temp path might include EBC Yellowstuff, Ferodo DS2500, Ferodo DS3000, and Hawk DTC60/70.

It would be a shame to warp some high zoot 2 piece rotors because your pads or your braking habits are the cause. Here's a great article on warping and what causes it, and what you can do to help prevent it: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

As for rotors, you might want to consider cheap Autozone/Checker/local auto store rotors while you sort out the brake and warping issues. They make a good backup set too in case you crack a rotor at the track and need to get home or replace rotor that is starting to warp (i.e. catch it early and a resurface may fix it: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_padremoval.shtml)

More great brake info here: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/te...e_papers.shtml

From there I think Centric and Beck Arnley are logical upgrades based on other people's recommendations. I'll be testing Hawk DTC60 and Centric Premium blanks on the front here shortly to see if I can get rid of my warping issues.

Also, it seems most recommend blank rotors for the track and stay completely away from cross drilled as they are more prone to cracking. I've heard mixed things about slotted rotors and since they usually cost most than blanks, I prefer to just stay with the blanks.

Good luck!
THANK YOU!!! This is PRECISELY the information I was looking for!
Old 04-18-2010, 12:10 PM
plumpzz

Definately stay away from slotted/drilled on racepads. Its super loud and unstreetable.