Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Problem after New rotors/pads/ install

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:57 AM
King350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem after New rotors/pads/ install

Ok so yesterday I changed my brake pads and rotors to: Hawk HPS pads and R1 concept rotors. I'm gonna sound like a lame @$$ but I spent half a day with this install.

First off, removing that nut the nut on the rear rotors that is located behind the cotter pin is fu**ing agony. I had the hardest time removing both of them. They are on there so tight. Well anyway, after i got the rear rotors and pads on, I noticed that when the rotors are spinning, they are making a grinding noise as they are making contact with the new pads as they are rotating. So I untightened one of the bolts on the on each caliper so I could swing it down and get the brake pads out of the way. Presto, The rotors were spinning and I didn't hear any grinding. So I compressed the piston as far as I could, put the caliper back on and when the pads weren't pressed against the rotor, the rotor spun without and noise.

So I tackled the fronts and was met with the same results. I decided to leave it alone because I spent way more time on this install than I should have. Is this normal for new rotors to be making sounds like this? Is there some kind of break in period? FML Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Mike
Old 05-07-2010, 09:10 AM
350junkie

There's a "bed-in" procedure for the pads. Gotta heat them up to break them in. Says on the box. Think it's like 5-7 stops from 40 to 5 and then 4-5 from 55 to 5.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:14 AM
plumpzz

Once you install everything, bleed the brakes and once you press your brakes for the first time everything will line up and the noise will go away. I also suggest using CRC brake quiet to prevent metal from metal contact from squeeling.

Don't worry, it took me over 20 hours to install a BBK cause some bolts just did not want to come off. Turned out they were over torqued and froze in place.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:26 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's normal, you need to bed the pads into the rotors so the surfaces mate. Check it out: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinstock.shtml
Old 05-07-2010, 12:10 PM
deezz

Bookmarked for my rotor install
Old 05-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good info in this thread!!

OP, can we see your new setup?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:49 PM
King350Z

Cool thanks guys I really appreciate it. The noise has gone away substantially and I don't hear anything anymore =) These HPS pads work very well! Mouch more bite then my previous pads. Thanks again guys. btw waizz, I will hopefully be attending next months Cerritos meet! I'll be the lone daytona blue
Old 05-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kin*****
Cool thanks guys I really appreciate it. The noise has gone away substantially and I don't hear anything anymore =) These HPS pads work very well! Mouch more bite then my previous pads. Thanks again guys. btw waizz, I will hopefully be attending next months Cerritos meet! I'll be the lone daytona blue

Sweet, I want to see those brakes in person.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:50 PM
King350Z

Originally Posted by plumpzz
Once you install everything, bleed the brakes and once you press your brakes for the first time everything will line up and the noise will go away. I also suggest using CRC brake quiet to prevent metal from metal contact from squeeling.

Don't worry, it took me over 20 hours to install a BBK cause some bolts just did not want to come off. Turned out they were over torqued and froze in place.
I don't feel so bad anymore =) Some things just really don't wanna cooperate
Old 05-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 785 Posts

wait, what nut and cotter pin were you touching?

Ive done a4 wheel BBK twice and never touched a cotter pin to do it. You may have done something for no reason. Our rotors are not locked into the hub in any way except....well rust. The only reason they dont fall off (besides the rust) is that the caliper bracket holds them on while the wheel/lugs are off.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:12 PM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cux350z

Ive done a4 wheel BBK twice and never touched a cotter pin to do it. You may have done something for no reason. Our rotors are not locked into the hub in any way except....well rust. The only reason they dont fall off (besides the rust) is that the caliper bracket holds them on while the wheel/lugs are off.
+1 never removed on cotter pin on my 5+ brake jobs on the Z.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:29 PM
King350Z

Originally Posted by waizzz

Sweet, I want to see those brakes in person.
I'm gonna paint the calipers black and have my wheels powdercoated black too so hopefully my car will look better. Stock calipers are gay. I can't wait til my car is complete as far as looks are concerned.

Originally Posted by Cux350z

Son of a............... Ya know, I never even thought of that.

Either way, everything is sitting nice now and I don't hear any grinding anymore.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:30 AM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, I have the same combo with the Hawk pads & the R! driLLed & sloTTed R1 rotors just about 3 years ago, still working GREAT. I also added SS brake lines and DOT 4 brake fluid, thinking I will take a look at the brakes here real soon. I have 3 track days and 30K miles on them, only bad thing is the Hawk pads are as dusty as the stock pads were.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:59 AM
SnyzzleZ

lol i think at some point we all have taken "too long" for what should be a simple job our cars..

but anyway glad to hear its better now