Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Rear extended studs/Ebrake problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Colombo

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Angry Rear extended studs/Ebrake problem.

so i searched. and couldnt seem to find what im looking for. last night i attempted to install my longer wheel studs so i could put my 20mm spacers on. in the process i noticed there was no possible way to getting the studs in without removing the Ebrake assembly. (or am i wrong?) so i took it off and installed the studs. well i couldnt pull the studs all the way threw even with tightening my lugnuts on there tight tight. quick question in the middle of a bigger question. how is everyone holding there axle from spining when trying to tighten the lugnut down on the stud? anywho i got them in far enough after a struggle and attempted to put my ebrake assembly back on. i got it on but now my Rotor wont completely go back on. it seems to hit something on the Ebrake. the parking brake is all the way down i even pushed it in some. what could be the problem? more importantly how do i fix it? and is there an easier way around this when i do the other side? any help would be greatly appriciated. thanks!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Colombo

damn 95 views n not 1 comment? anyone?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 AM
06blueZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take a look at the other side ebrake before you disassemble that side.. everything on the side you took off should be a mirror image of the other side. Also a thing to note, the shoes are not the same size, the larger shoe should go to the front. If it is just hitting the shoes, turn in the star adjuster some. you will then need to readjust this so that your ebrake handle doesn't go to the roof.

Use a big prybar between the lugs to keep the axle still,

to seat the new lugs you may need to stack some washers to make sure the lug is not bottoming out at the end of the threads.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:59 AM
ExtaZ33

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

*edit - Listen to that guy! ^^^

What method did you use to pull the new studs in? I use an air impact wrench and two nuts slightly larger than the diameter of the stud, then use a lug nut to pull them on.

If you got yours in by just removing and re-installing the e-brake then it was the easy way to do it. Let me know if you want to know the hard way.

Last edited by ExtaZ33; 07-20-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Colombo

Originally Posted by 06blueZ
take a look at the other side ebrake before you disassemble that side.. everything on the side you took off should be a mirror image of the other side. Also a thing to note, the shoes are not the same size, the larger shoe should go to the front. If it is just hitting the shoes, turn in the star adjuster some. you will then need to readjust this so that your ebrake handle doesn't go to the roof.

Use a big prybar between the lugs to keep the axle still,

to seat the new lugs you may need to stack some washers to make sure the lug is not bottoming out at the end of the threads.
ima try this today, thanks abunch. and yes i pulled my ebrake off and then my extended studs slide right in.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:31 AM
ExtaZ33

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This thread may have some useful info for you.

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...ded-studs.html
Old 07-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Colombo

and this is why this is the best forums in the world. i owe u guys 1. got the ebrake back on by just turning down the little tab and pulled the studs the rest of the way threw. thanks again guys. 1 last question today before i completed this i used my rear view mirror and was lookin at my rear wheel while i was driving and it seemed to have a bit of a wave. could this have been caused by the studs not being all the way pulled threw? the nuts were on tight? checked my wheel bearings and they seem to be fine wheel doesnt move at all left or right in the air.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:16 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

I just left one wheel on the ground out of gear , slide all studs in place then put the trans in gear and pull them thru.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:26 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I just left one wheel on the ground out of gear , slide all studs in place then put the trans in gear and pull them thru.
u must have an os giken then.......

-J
Old 07-21-2010, 10:21 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
u must have an os giken then.......

-J
Actually i did that with the VLSD , and the car i just did an install on last week was a base with an open dif.

My car with the OS, i don't even have to put in gear, but i do have to lift the other side to rotate the hub to thread the bolts thru.