Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

daily driver suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010 | 08:02 PM
bencurtis

Default daily driver suspension advice

I've been reading and researching for a good while now and I've come to the conclusion I need some advice from people who have actually done it. I don't plan on tracking the car, I need to keep it a daily driver.
Goals:
daily drivable
composed over bumpy roads
moderate drop .8-1.0in
quality parts that i don't really have to worry about. I want to be able to set it and forget it.
and stays in spec. not something I have too check and re-check more than normal

my initial idea is to go to a true-type coil-over suspension so i can ditch the mid-links and the eccentric washers and order half of the catalog from spl along with the sways from motordyne so I can avoid rubbing issues with my shockwave exhaust. am I going overboard? any advice will be received, thanks.
Old 08-09-2010 | 08:08 PM
bencurtis

oh yeah woops I've got an 06 touring with a 6MT on 225/40/19 and 245/40/19 continental extreme contact dws with stock offsets

Last edited by bencurtis; 08-09-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: it's late
Old 08-09-2010 | 09:14 PM
Entaille

I was in a similar position and wanted less then 1" drop, with no upkeep. I chose the hotchkis springs. they lower the rear more then the front, which was important to me (almost every other set lowers front more then rear), I think its a 15mm drop in front and 19mm in rear. they were designed to work with the stock shocks as well.

the spring rates would be more noticable if you were in an 03-04 Z, but since you have the revised rates from 04.5+ in your Z, you will hardly notice a different in performance or ride quality. really just a slight drop. the fronts will be slightly stiffer.

for your needs, I feel like your thought process is going overboard, and expensive, but it sounds like you're willing to pay for the best decision. for what it's worth, there is my two cents.
Old 08-09-2010 | 09:44 PM
bencurtis

right on, thanks for the input. could be right on the thought process, just so many factors and decisions to make. but i don't wanna pull the trigger on the "buy" button and regret it as soon as i get it installed.
Old 08-09-2010 | 10:04 PM
350ZTheStandard

Go with Eibach spriings, you can lower the car & feel more responsive without dropping a $hitload of $$$, especially since your NOT going to track the car.
Old 08-10-2010 | 01:47 AM
Soundslikesight

Have to agree with the last post. Eibach prokit springs should be right up your alley. They have a decent drop all around without going overboard. And while being slightly stiffer than stock they are still very comfortable. Perfect for a daily driver. If your not concerned about adjustability and are happy with the performance of your shocks then that's about all you have to do. Aside from the nessecary camber adjustment componants if your concerned about doing it right the first time.

IMO if you could care less about adjustability and have no plans on tracking your car, coilovers would be a bonafied waste of money.
Old 08-10-2010 | 09:39 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by bencurtis
I've been reading and researching for a good while now and I've come to the conclusion I need some advice from people who have actually done it. I don't plan on tracking the car, I need to keep it a daily driver.
Goals:
daily drivable
composed over bumpy roads
moderate drop .8-1.0in
quality parts that i don't really have to worry about. I want to be able to set it and forget it.
and stays in spec. not something I have too check and re-check more than normal

my initial idea is to go to a true-type coil-over suspension so i can ditch the mid-links and the eccentric washers and order half of the catalog from spl along with the sways from motordyne so I can avoid rubbing issues with my shockwave exhaust. am I going overboard? any advice will be received, thanks.
You cannot buy any true type coilover setup that will remotely do what you want. Spring rates are all too high for that, not to mention none of them are valved for what you want out of the car. I could see maybe Zeal pulling it off, but their true type setup uses a extraordinary amout of rear spring stiffness and I don't think you'll pay what they cost. And what is the point of ditching the mid-links? What is the point in ditching the eccentric washers, in 7 years mine have never been a issue, they have never moved AT ALL (I know this because I alway's marked them on the washer and on the subframe). Given no one outside of some Z's campained in Japaneese racing series have ever done the extensive rear modification's that would allow a true coilover rear setup to be workable without any compromise, it remains wishfull thinking for those of us in the real world who will never ever do those modification's. https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...er-or-not.html I totally agree with Kuah@SPL and Resolute on the subject (Wil)

Your choice in sway bars has the thinest front bar on the market at 25mm. Progress at 32mm solid, Whiteline at 32mm solid, Cusco at 35mm solid or H&R at 36mm solid are all better choices. And all of them sell their front bars seperately, allowing you to have the Motordyne rear bar so you'll clear the exhaust. Though any good exhaust shop should be able to do a simple alteration to the exhaust to allow it to clear any other rear bar choice.

Motordyne sway bars
Front 25mm solid
Rear 22mm solid

Progress sway bars
Front 32mm solid
Rear 22mm solid
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=1767

Cusco sway bars
Front 35mm solid
Rear 22mm solid (but not adjustable, would use Progress rear bar instead)

Whiteline sway bars
Front 32mm solid
Rear 20mm solid
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=3782

I can see the Eibach Pro-kit being a simple solution, but with softer peak spring rates Swift sport springs would be a better choice given you concern about bounce and wanting composure over bumpy roads
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=4493

The absolute best setup for what you want and one that is a dead bullseye would be Bilstein Pss10 coilovers. Install them at full soft and your done. They hit the ride quality mark better then any other setup you can come up with. They will easily do the ride height range your wanting.
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=1180

2006 350Z oem spring rates
314/427

Eibach 350Z progressive springs 1”/1” drop
Spring rates in LBS initial/final front 296/384 initial/final rear 316/421

Swift 350Z linear springs .8”/.6”
Spring rates in LBS 336/364

Bilstein PSS9/10 coilover Monotube construction, adjustable dampners, reuses oem upper shock mounts
Special Note: If you keep the damper adjustment at or below 5, this setup delivers a ride and drive quality that is beyond reproach. Settings above 5 are not advised, ride and performance is compromised, I used to own these.
Spring rates 370/240-420 (rear progressive)
Old 08-10-2010 | 11:58 AM
bencurtis

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...er-or-not.html I totally agree with Kuah@SPL and Resolute on the subject (Wil)
not gonna lie, most of that article was over my head. but I think I have come to the conclusion that i really don't need true-type coilovers and all the various changes that come along with them.

I haven't found a bad review about the bilstein pss10s yet, i've used bilstein shock in a few other applications and never had a complaint about them. maybe these and a simple front and rear camber kit is all i really need.

thanks man, thanks alot
Old 08-10-2010 | 12:14 PM
bencurtis

for my needs do you think the ichiba front/rear camber arms and toe kit will fit the bill?
Old 11-14-2010 | 06:12 PM
OkashiZ

i have eibach sportlines, and i daily drive it. its a little rough and low but i dont have to drive very far. i would suggest eibach prokit, that is about a 1" drop, no camber arms needed, stock shocks ok, and just need an alignment. with the sportlines, you will need at least a rear camber kit and preferably aftermarket shocks.

Edit. Just got Bilstein pss9. These win.

Last edited by OkashiZ; 11-09-2012 at 03:23 PM.