Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Shock+springs combo

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Szen350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock+springs combo

What is the best shock+spring for 04 350Z set? not trying to drop it much 1" is doable due to it is my daily driver atm, thanks everyone for the input
Old 01-16-2011, 04:58 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Moved to proper forum

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ion-101-a.html
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ic-thread.html
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...d-reviews.html
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...uspension.html
Old 01-16-2011, 05:04 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

coilovers
Old 01-16-2011, 05:19 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Be patient. One of our sponsors will soon be here with the best Shock+springs combo. Prices too low to mention.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

all depends on your budget, and what you're using the car for. There is a pretty wide range of combos
Old 01-16-2011, 06:12 PM
TheBlue350z

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

GF210 + D-spec shocks
Old 01-16-2011, 07:23 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I am surprised DavesZ#3 left the thread open considering the number of threads and discusions on this topic. Normally they put a lock on it.
So here is my input while it stays open. Look into Tokico Dspec shock/spring kit.
Lowers 1" all around. Adjustable rebound and compression. Search "Tokico" and read about all the good reviews
Old 01-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Shawz1102

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GF210 + Tokico is like $700... That's enough for a coilover.. why waste money on that?
Old 01-17-2011, 04:25 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by beezee
I am surprised DavesZ#3 left the thread open considering the number of threads and discusions on this topic. Normally they put a lock on it.
So here is my input while it stays open. Look into Tokico Dspec shock/spring kit.
Lowers 1" all around. Adjustable rebound and compression. Search "Tokico" and read about all the good reviews
its adjustable rebound only....like virtually every other shock except for very, very high end motorsport oriented units
Old 01-17-2011, 04:26 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shawz1102
GF210 + Tokico is like $700... That's enough for a coilover.. why waste money on that?
that's enough for JUNK coilovers, or perhaps, maybe on a good day, a set of well used ones
Old 01-17-2011, 07:34 AM
TheBlue350z

Originally Posted by Shawz1102
i got that combo on my car and it handles very well. i like the gf210 cuz of the drop and how stiff they are. the D-spec are a great shock and are fully adjustable. i have never installed coilover on my car but i bet it handles just as well while saving a couple $100 dollars.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:48 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

'handles very well' is an obviously subjective term - it is largely determined by your tires. Adjustable coilovers don't automatically make a car handle better, and depending on the choice, can often make it handle worse. Same goes for springs, or springs and shocks.

as for the tanabe being stiff, they are not at all actually - not a bad spring to mate to Tokico D spec, but not ideal

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 01-17-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:02 AM
TheBlue350z

yea i forgot to mention i got 265/35/18 +12 ---295/35/18 +15

GF210 are 20-30% higher spring rate over stock. what would be ideal for d-spec that offers a 1/1.25 inch drop?

ik NF210 arent stiff at all and tiens are pretty stiff but only drop .7

Last edited by TheBlue350z; 01-17-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:57 AM
tyau

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen people run on BC-Racing and other such type coilovers. Their lnog term costs are well over their initial costs and their original value. Coilovers like BC-Racing are cheap to purchase, but their pillowball eventually wear out to cause clunking noises. Their dampers will also need replacements after a year or so of daily use.

The dampers found on coilovers like BC-Racing or megan Racing are universal, meaning that they can sometimes be overdamped or underdamped for certain vehicles. They may feel good when new at full stiffness to match the hard springs for our 350Z applications, but as they wear out, they would become bouncy. This is because the same dampers for the 350Z may also be found on the Honda Fit and Miata, for example, which require softer dampers.

Unfortunately, that is also the design philosophy of Stance as well. I know that they generally get good reviews from drifters and many 350Z owners. They are a notch better than the BC-Racing and Megan Racing coilovers. But I would not consider them high quality. I still read a lot of these shocks losing damping very quickly after one year of use.

I personally only use high quality coilovers from HKS, Bilsteins. In my case with the G35, I choose to go with a set of quality lowering springs and Bilstein B6, with new hardware. All cost under $1000. This setup will outlast any cheap coilover setup and offer the best ride comfort/performance ratio available. Any quality springs and shocks is a great alternative to cheap coilovers setup.

If you don't have the money to spend, just save up for something like the Buddy Club. If you can spare the money, get Bilsteins or HKS.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:40 AM
ITOzann

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tyau
I have seen people run on BC-Racing and other such type coilovers. Their lnog term costs are well over their initial costs and their original value. Coilovers like BC-Racing are cheap to purchase, but their pillowball eventually wear out to cause clunking noises. Their dampers will also need replacements after a year or so of daily use.

The dampers found on coilovers like BC-Racing or megan Racing are universal, meaning that they can sometimes be overdamped or underdamped for certain vehicles. They may feel good when new at full stiffness to match the hard springs for our 350Z applications, but as they wear out, they would become bouncy. This is because the same dampers for the 350Z may also be found on the Honda Fit and Miata, for example, which require softer dampers.

Unfortunately, that is also the design philosophy of Stance as well. I know that they generally get good reviews from drifters and many 350Z owners. They are a notch better than the BC-Racing and Megan Racing coilovers. But I would not consider them high quality. I still read a lot of these shocks losing damping very quickly after one year of use.

I personally only use high quality coilovers from HKS, Bilsteins. In my case with the G35, I choose to go with a set of quality lowering springs and Bilstein B6, with new hardware. All cost under $1000. This setup will outlast any cheap coilover setup and offer the best ride comfort/performance ratio available. Any quality springs and shocks is a great alternative to cheap coilovers setup.

If you don't have the money to spend, just save up for something like the Buddy Club. If you can spare the money, get Bilsteins or HKS.
listen to the man!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:27 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The second most important component of handling (after a good LSD) are the shocks. Not the springs, not the lowering, not the upper cambers arms, not the sway bars - the shocks. You should spend as much money as possible on the shocks. A "coil over" kit for $1,000 has the crappiest shocks made by man. Well, the old lever shocks on MGs and Morgans are probably worse.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:33 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
its adjustable rebound only....like virtually every other shock except for very, very high end motorsport oriented units
Having run a set of D-Specs (HTS) shocks on a dyno, compression damping does increase as you move from soft to firm, but at a much lower rate then rebound. In almost all sealed shocks you get a some increase in compression as rebound goes up because of the basic valving design. Tokico Illuminas are the worst with an almost linear increase in compression and rebound as you make shock adjustments. Tokico did their homework on the HTS and kept the compression damping increase to a minimum on the D-Spec (HTS). They are also somewhat digressive.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheBlue350z
yea i forgot to mention i got 265/35/18 +12 ---295/35/18 +15

GF210 are 20-30% higher spring rate over stock. what would be ideal for d-spec that offers a 1/1.25 inch drop?

ik NF210 arent stiff at all and tiens are pretty stiff but only drop .7
your math needs work
Old 01-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Having run a set of D-Specs (HTS) shocks on a dyno, compression damping does increase as you move from soft to firm, but at a much lower rate then rebound. In almost all sealed shocks you get a some increase in compression as rebound goes up because of the basic valving design. Tokico Illuminas are the worst with an almost linear increase in compression and rebound as you make shock adjustments. Tokico did their homework on the HTS and kept the compression damping increase to a minimum on the D-Spec (HTS). They are also somewhat digressive.
absolutely understood, I should have better clarified my point that it is not independantly adjustable
Old 01-17-2011, 05:56 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by tyau

BC, Stance, Megan are all made by the same place in China, and i would bet Buddy Club is make there too. Actually after installing a set of HKS coilovers, i wouldn't doubt if they had theirs made in China in the same place.

Quick Reply: Shock+springs combo