Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by intoxicatedpete
Sorry for hijacking, but I'm in the same boat as the OP. My driveway requires me to maintain as close to the stock ride height as possible. Have an 05 Z.

I've been considering coilovers that give me the choice of having it at stock height. Would it be a better bang for buck to just gets Tokico D-specs and call it a day? I guess my budget would be around 1-1.5k

I try to track my car at least 5-6 times every year. I don't mind a bit of a stiff ride, but I do live in LA and we have some bad roads. Since it is my DD, I wouldn't want it to be too aggressive. Already have Hotchkis sways (2nd from stiffest up front/Medium in the rear)

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks guys
D Specss or some nice Koni shocks would be great, then since you track order a set of front camber arms to add some camber.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 AM
intoxicatedpete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
D Specss or some nice Koni shocks would be great, then since you track order a set of front camber arms to add some camber.
Thanks man. You always give solid advice. I'm leaning toward the Koni Yellows. A bit pricier than the Tokico's but I think they're worth it.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:58 AM
mikeyfosure1

They were out of stock of hotchkis springs so I went with TEIN H-techs instead.

Installing hotchkis sways, SPL solid diff bushings, TEIN H-tech springs and KYB GR-2 shocks tomorrow.

As well as a tune up and oil change!

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
you will need to wait and see how the car specs out on the alignment rack after your springs and tires go on...and adjust (if possible) or buy (if necessary) accordingly. There is no way to know before hand

Originally Posted by Hotchkis
Mikeyfosure1

Thanks for purchasing our TVS kit. I hope your driveway plays nice with your car. What part of the camber adjustment are you unsure of? The alignment specs? Is everything else on your car stock?
As far as camber, I am going to wait until all parts are installed to see where I measure up (Like Z1 suggests). However, I do know that the set of tires I just replaced had some "feathering" wear. All 4 inside tread wore more than outside tread.

I haven't located the camber/caster/toe specs for my 2003 Z yet.

Not sure what you mean by "everything else"? Suspension wise...

Last edited by mikeyfosure1; 02-18-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by intoxicatedpete
Thanks man. You always give solid advice. I'm leaning toward the Koni Yellows. A bit pricier than the Tokico's but I think they're worth it.
Konis are a very good choice, especially if you're tracking a car from time to time. As another data point, I am riding on Bilstein PSS10s and these things are fantastic for daily driving. Search around for the reviews on these and you'll see that they're highly recommended. They would fall at the top of your budget though. I am fairly certain that you can achieve stock ride height if you want that. The only drawback is that these coils may not be the optimal choice for track duty. Some day they're too "soft" for that, whatever that means. Stiffer does not mean better in the corners. Just something to consider.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:00 PM
intoxicatedpete

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
Konis are a very good choice, especially if you're tracking a car from time to time. As another data point, I am riding on Bilstein PSS10s and these things are fantastic for daily driving. Search around for the reviews on these and you'll see that they're highly recommended. They would fall at the top of your budget though. I am fairly certain that you can achieve stock ride height if you want that. The only drawback is that these coils may not be the optimal choice for track duty. Some day they're too "soft" for that, whatever that means. Stiffer does not mean better in the corners. Just something to consider.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm going to stick w/ the Koni's because of the lower price and the fact that the Bilstein springs are too similar to the spec of my OEM springs. General reviews of it seem very good but it is a premium price for something very similar to a cheaper Koni setup.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:15 AM
go kart

hey op, did you put the h techs on yet?
Old 02-25-2011, 06:13 AM
mikeyfosure1

Originally Posted by go kart
hey op, did you put the h techs on yet?
Yessir. All new suspension parts have been put on. Drives amazing!

I feel the sways have increased my car's responsiveness greatly.

The only problem I am having:

I have the FRONT sway at the 2nd from soft end and the REAR sway in the middle hole.

I am more confident now of my rear not letting go and coming around on me on acceleration towards the exit of the turn. I feel this increased stiffness and new tires have helped that intensely.

However, when I take a turn aggressively I feel as though which ever way I am turning that front side dives too much and has actually picked the opposite side rear tire off the road enough to cause wheel spin.

I feel that my front sway should be adjusted one hole stiffer... does this sound logical?

Either way the car is solid and driving wayyy better then before. If I keep current setup I would just have to change my driving style. I feel that since I just dropped all this money into my suspension with adjustability that my suspension should be adjusted.. not me :P
Old 02-25-2011, 07:30 AM
go kart

well i cant really help ya with the sways cuz im still on my stock ones. but what do u think of the h techs, what did they settle at? im tryin to decide between those and rsr springs
Old 02-25-2011, 04:06 PM
mikeyfosure1

well i cant really help ya with the sways cuz im still on my stock ones. but what do u think of the h techs, what did they settle at? im tryin to decide between those and rsr springs
I'm dumb. I forgot to measure lip height and fender height pre-install.

I can measure the current height if that would help?

I feel that they dropped at least 1/2".

Just keep in mind... My tires are 235/40 and 255/40 so that will effect my height as well.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:08 PM
mikeyfosure1

what's the difference in the H techs and RSR spring rates?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:45 PM
RocKstR350z

IF your looking for stock sway bar end links for upfront i have a brand new set of oem links for sale dirt cheap. Pm me
Old 02-27-2011, 05:27 PM
go kart

Originally Posted by mikeyfosure1
what's the difference in the H techs and RSR spring rates?

Tein H-tech 350z linear springs .3”/.2”
Spring rates in LBS 358/375

RSR 350Z linear springs .6”/.6”
Spring rates in LBS 345/417
Old 02-27-2011, 05:30 PM
go kart

Originally Posted by mikeyfosure1
I'm dumb. I forgot to measure lip height and fender height pre-install.

I can measure the current height if that would help?

I feel that they dropped at least 1/2".

Just keep in mind... My tires are 235/40 and 255/40 so that will effect my height as well.
thanks man! instead of measuring it do u mind posting a side pic?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:57 AM
mikeyfosure1

thanks man! instead of measuring it do u mind posting a side pic?

Will try to later today
Old 03-02-2011, 12:51 PM
jrotaryb

If the most mild lowering spring drops the car by only 1/2 inch, you can offset the lower ride height with a wheel and tire combo with an overall diameter of 1/2 inch greater than stock.

Not hard to do with a +1 rim size and a larger tire...

Last edited by jrotaryb; 03-02-2011 at 12:53 PM.