Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Really Brembo.... Really??? wtf

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:24 AM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Really Brembo.... Really??? wtf

Ok,

So i'm in the process of rebuilding a set of brembo's and ordered my seal kits front and rear as well as a single piston which needed replacing. Thread here:
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ide-color.html

The rebuilder calls saying the O-ring seals which house the internal lines needs to be replaced. Nissan does not stock these because they would rather you buy the effen caliper instead of a .20 washer.

So, Im calling every aftermarket brake dealer and noone has this. I then look up Brembo North America and get on the line with a tech. Same story he is unable to sell them to me(after describing and pleading the ridiculousness of the situation) or provide me the specs or sourcing for replacement per Brembo co. policy.

I'm told that anything Lowes or Home depot would have wouldn't be ideal and not hold up to the pressure. WTF. Brakes are apart and the irony is a Effen little O-rings holding up the process...

So pissed
Old 02-16-2011, 07:45 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=b25kgy
Old 02-16-2011, 08:07 AM
rich2342

Thanks for the suggestion,

I just called them, they don't have the foggiest. Isn't this a common type of O-ring that other brake manufacturers use? I don't know the spec it would require as far as the types they have listed on the site there.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

This is the problem when you are not doing the work yourself. Call your brake rebuilder and have him measure and get you the specs on the o-ring itself. Then you will need to do some research on the McMaster site to identify the specific part.

And no, o-rings are specific to the application, so there's no universal parts to quote. So stop being pissed and get on with learning about your Z.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 AM
rich2342

^ specs are only half the problem. I need to know what material composite it requires as well, which neither the manufacturer nor nissan provides.

Had it been done myself, I would have probably unknowingly just reused the O-rings and have them be faulty.. no thanks.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:38 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rich2342
^ specs are only half the problem. I need to know what material composite it requires as well, which neither the manufacturer nor nissan provides.

Had it been done myself, I would have probably unknowingly just reused the O-rings and have them be faulty.. no thanks.
Give Parker O-ring division a call.

http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PA...0048021dacRCRD

The compound is probably silicon or Viton for high heat applications. Hope this helps.

EDIT: I use to work at a Parker store and these guys should be able to figure out what you need. It could be a special O-ring from Dupont/Kalrez O-ring. http://www.dupontelastomers.com/Prod...rez/custom.asp I doubt they are these but you never know.

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 02-16-2011 at 08:44 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-16-2011, 09:09 AM
RedlineRedZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't be so expectant of Nissan. They can't possibly stock every single teeny tiny part of your car, because if that was the case with every one of their cars, imagine the parts database that they would have to inventory. It's largely unfeasable. Regardless, I would go to a brake rebuilder and call it a day, i'm positive they've been in the same situation before and know what to do.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 AM
rich2342

^ just spoke with a brake rebuilder who has done it for 25 years. It's a liability issue.
Brembo believes that since the brakes go through so many heat cycles that once the two halves are separated they should never be put back together due to warping and flex of the halves potentially causing leaks.

Even the brake rebuilder said he could not get Brembo to sell them to him and this is why.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:35 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

^ just spoke with a brake rebuilder who has done it for 25 years. It's a liability issue.
Brembo believes that since the brakes go through so many heat cycles that once the two halves are separated they should never be put back together due to warping and flex of the halves potentially causing leaks.

Even the brake rebuilder said he could not get Brembo to sell them to him and this is why.
Exactly what I was going to say. If they sell you that part and something were to happen, you would most likely be looking up "lawyers" in the phone book. Can't blame them. Too bad you have to go through this. Hopefully you find a way out
Old 02-16-2011, 12:58 PM
rich2342

The logic doesn't make sense since the pistons and seal kits can be sold as replacements..

The rebuilder I talked to said he hasn't seen a problem even reusing the old seals with leaks or failures. Who wants to take that chance though.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:00 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Why did you split the calipers, anyway? It's simply not necessary during a rebuild.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:16 PM
rich2342

^They are also being powdercoated
The following users liked this post:
resident25 (09-11-2015)
Old 02-16-2011, 04:59 PM
tyau

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The logic doesn't make sense since the pistons and seal kits can be sold as replacements..
It is not meant to be disassembled. Even remanufactured Brembos from the dealers are rebuilt without a full disassembly. That is not to say they do not have the proper parts to fully diassemble and assemble them.

The rebuilder I talked to said he hasn't seen a problem even reusing the old seals with leaks or failures. Who wants to take that chance though.
The rebuilder is correct.

I do not recall Brembo selling these parts individually. These calipers are never meant to be taken apart by end users. I believe brake rebuilding companies like Dorman use a close-match universal part that meets specifications.

Not sure why I am sure that over 99% of the people with powdercoated Brembos performed the process without fully disassembling them.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Dook-E

are you talking about cracking the calipers in half? if you are, then good luck sourcing those o-rings. NO ONE will sell them to you, even if they know what you are talking about. This same thing applies to the old Z32 brakes too. I had to crack mine in half or else the powder coaters wouldnt work on them. Luckily, i knew about this beforehand and i was able to save the o-rings that were already in there so i could reuse them. do you still have your old o-rings? if you do, then your only option is going to be reusing them. if you don't, you are pretty much screwed.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:05 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Or, just buy some replacement o-rings from one of the third-party vendors already mentioned, without saying what they're for. Most will be able to provide specs as to what fluids will cause degradation, as well as an operating temperature range. All you need are the exact dimensions, even if you have to borrow a micrometer to measure the old parts.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:16 AM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hit up this guy by email or phone, and you'll be done.
http://zeckhausen.com/Nissan/350Z.htm

We say the subject line all the time.. :P
Old 02-17-2011, 04:10 AM
rich2342

Originally Posted by StopTech
Hit up this guy by email or phone, and you'll be done.
http://zeckhausen.com/Nissan/350Z.htm

We say the subject line all the time.. :P
^Doesn't have them. I ordered the piston from zeckhausen.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:38 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

subscribed.. I had a set of fronts rebuilt - no idea if the company reused, replaced, of removed the seal.. but I had issues with them overheating; so I replaced them.

I do still have a set of rear Brembos.. and would like to have them powdercoated at some point. It would be nice to have a solution for the inner seal.

Good luck with your search.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:11 AM
VQ35deMax

i have replaced the o-rings on my old z32 4 pot calipers before. I ordered them from mcmaster.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:19 AM
rich2342

^ Any leakage as a result? Do you know the specs?

Quick Reply: Really Brembo.... Really??? wtf