Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

abnormal rotor wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:11 PM
08sleeperz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abnormal rotor wear

Hello all. Seems like I got a z that has quite a few "premature wear" problems. First a clutch and slave and now rotors. I have an 08 and until recently, my brakes have been strong and given me no problems. However, over the course of about the last week or so, I've noticing some mild vibrations while cruising at 50+ and severe vibrations while braking at about 30 or over. It seems like its coming from the front rotors (i've experienced warped rotors before) and its progressively getting worse. My main question is, are rotors covered under the 3yr/36mon. warranty? And if not, are dealers known to replace rotors if warn pre-maturely? It would probably be helpful to know that my car just hit 17k. It was a little difficult to get them to replace the slave and clutch so I don't really feel like going through the same thing again. And also, I don't really have money to upgrade my brakes at this time. I would hope they would try to resolve this as I think rotors should last far longer than this and I'm not hard on brakes and drive about 80% highway. Any suggestions would be nice, thanks.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:24 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

How do you know it's the rotors? Might be out of balance wheel/tire. My '08 has 42K, I drive it just about as hard as I can much of the time, and my original rotors are true and well within spec for thickness. I wore through the OEM front pads and then replaced all front and rear with EBC Red's.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:07 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I doubt the rotors would be covered under the warranty.

It really sounds like you've got two problems. Warped rotors would cause pulsation in the pedal and vibration when braking, but wouldn't cause a vibration while cruising. That sounds more like an alignment or tire/wheel out of balance issue.

Have you hit any potholes recently? That might cause a wheel weight to come off or knock the alignment off.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:35 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Unusual to need new rotors at 17,000 miles but anything is possible. I would have to remove and inspect. With the proper tools you can check run out. As dcains mentioned how do you know this is a rotor problem?
Old 03-14-2011, 02:49 PM
08sleeperz

I thought it might be a wheel out of balance. But, I thought otherwise because it is severe when on the brakes and comes from the front. I feel the pedal pulsating and and a vibration in the steering wheel. Also, I thought it was the rotors because it has been getting worse. It started a a slight vibration and thought maybe it was uneven pavement but it is now doing it everywhere and getting more and more pronounced. I do all of my own maintenance and have many tools. I will probably pull the rotors off and see if they are true and see how my pads look. I was also considering getting my wheels rebalanced as its been a while since I've had them checked. But like I said, I've experienced warped rotors before in many cars and my symptoms seem to match up.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:16 PM
AJCaron12

Warped rotors would be a warranty item if your car is still covered.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:51 PM
08sleeperz

Yea, that's what I thought. I still have about 2 or 3 months left on my 3yr/36k. I'm gonna get my wheels re-balanced tomorrow and see if that helps/solves the problem. I looked at my front wheels tonight when I got home from work and it looks like on the drivers side there is residue from where a weight was. Not sure if one of the weights fell off or if that's from when I had my other tires. Anyway, I'll try that tomorrow and see what happens.