Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

wilwood bbk

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 07:27 AM
styy81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wilwood bbk

hi bros,

any feedbacks on wilwood 6pot 355mm F/ 4 pot 330 mm R?
Hows the performance compare to stoptech?

i am thinking of getting either one of this bbk set still cant decide yet.

thanks.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:46 AM
styy81

my apology for duplicate posting, mod pls assist to remove.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:57 AM
plumpzz

Its good at stopping but its noisier than a stoptech bbk due to the design. However, the change parts are far cheaper than stoptech and the brakes will stop just as good.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Never driven on Stoptechs, but have had no problem with my Wilwood kit. For heavy track use i suggest buying the front set with the W6A caliper, but i track the hell out of my car with the Bsl6 caliper no problem.

Contact Todd at TCE for best info about Wilwood systems.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:27 AM
plumpzz

^+1. The W6A caliper won't be as noisy as the BSL6. That caliper is directly comparable to the stoptech calipers (non competition).
Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by plumpzz
^+1. The W6A caliper won't be as noisy as the BSL6. That caliper is directly comparable to the stoptech calipers (non competition).
Mine arn't noisy, once an a while with street pads you need to file the top edge of the pad, if you do that, no noise. I do it every time i pad swap to race pads.

Also race pads are cheap for wilwood , i ran Poly B pads for 3 years $130 a set, and just moved over to Poly E? can't remember $190 a set. Rears are even cheaper, and street pads are slightly over $60.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:08 AM
plumpzz

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Mine arn't noisy, once an a while with street pads you need to file the top edge of the pad, if you do that, no noise. I do it every time i pad swap to race pads.

Also race pads are cheap for wilwood , i ran Poly B pads for 3 years $130 a set, and just moved over to Poly E? can't remember $190 a set. Rears are even cheaper, and street pads are slightly over $60.
A common problem with the Sl6 is creaking sounds from flex. Reshimming them helps but youll always get flex. Ive contacted wilwood and they confirmed the problem, but said since the piece is billet the flex does not affect function.

Pads will be noisy, especially since I run the polyE pads. I heard the BP10s are much quieter but I havnt tried them out yet.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:59 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Pads will be noisy, especially since I run the polyE pads. I heard the BP10s are much quieter but I havnt tried them out yet.
Poly E , race pad, Same with Poly B, i highly doubt any full fledge race pad on the market is quiet.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:37 AM
Todd TCE
Sponsor
TCE Performance Products

The W6A caliper is much larger, beefier and has a bigger (about 15%) pad for longer wear and an increase in surface area making them more stable. This caliper is available as a alternate of sorts to the factory 14" kits but cost much more due to the cost of the caliper, pads and custom TCE brackets. And sadly this substitution cannot be made as a 'kit' purchase but must be assembled piece by piece for production. (making it a TCE kit, not a factory Wilwood kit)

For track use the B pads are a great starting point. For those with better tires, more experience and the desire to push harder a move to H or even A pads is very doable but comes with a greater wear rate and noise. E pads being a good intermediate pad but fully metallic thus a bit more noise. A combo of H front and E rear would be quite nice on track and if one thinks they could still yet get more from the rear: H/B. Pads remain like tires however....subject to a lot of personal taste.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:41 AM
styy81

Thanks for the feedbacks. By the way if given a choice will I go for stoptech or
Wilwood?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Alexl08

Wouldn't waste my money on wilwood
Old 04-18-2011, 10:29 AM
MUZZY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have called wilwood several times, they are misin the hats for theFront kit, been 1 month now and no ETA till 60days from now. th wait for a # of orders before they even start making the part. so there is a 90 day delay on them if that changes your mind
Old 04-19-2011, 04:24 AM
Alexl08

Originally Posted by MUZZY
I have called wilwood several times, they are misin the hats for theFront kit, been 1 month now and no ETA till 60days from now. th wait for a # of orders before they even start making the part. so there is a 90 day delay on them if that changes your mind

If you guys want some function over form just go with a PFC BBK that what my car is getting although I use it on the track not street
Old 04-19-2011, 12:08 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by styy81
Thanks for the feedbacks. By the way if given a choice will I go for stoptech or
Wilwood?
Wilwood. i know more time attack guys using and trusting wilwoods than stoptechs
Old 04-19-2011, 02:47 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by BoomerZ33
Wilwood. i know more time attack guys using and trusting wilwoods than stoptechs
There is a really good mix of brakes in the paddock.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Alexl08

Goto a grandam event or amls and see if you see any wilwood stuff you wont cuz wilwood is junk. PFC/Brembo/AP/Stoptech
Old 04-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Todd TCE
Sponsor
TCE Performance Products

With that logic you could go to hundreds more weekly circle tracks; sprint cars, midgets and modifys many running Wilwoods...so all those others are junk. Never mind that as a NC resident you may well work for that PFC shop and thus haven gotten a great deal to pass along this info?? Just a thought. I could be wrong of course.

Reality is none of them are junk. Some are just far more costly than others and while the merits of one design over the other can be argued the average consumer couldn't tell a Apembo from a Stop-Con or a Alwood. If you're running an endurance race the main element is pad thickness. I don't know to many street enthusiasts needing 1.10" wide pads and the shoebox size calipers that go with them. Nor the need for that large a wheel spacer.

FWIW, a couple of the b/o Wilwood kit are in process and on the way. There was no "waiting for a bunch of orders..." there were simply more sold then expected and to some degree a lull in forecasting of sales for the Spring that have effected a vast number of product. But they're doling out the OT and guys are in fact working (something we don't hear a lot of so hat's off to Wilwood) to get the inventory back up.

Trust me...I probably know better than most of you.

Last edited by Todd TCE; 04-20-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:09 AM
Alexl08

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
With that logic you could go to hundreds more weekly circle tracks; sprint cars, midgets and modifys many running Wilwoods...so all those others are junk. Never mind that as a NC resident you may well work for that PFC shop and thus haven gotten a great deal to pass along this info?? Just a thought. I could be wrong of course.

Reality is none of them are junk. Some are just far more costly than others and while the merits of one design over the other can be argued the average consumer couldn't tell a Apembo from a Stop-Con or a Alwood. If you're running an endurance race the main element is pad thickness. I don't know to many street enthusiasts needing 1.10" wide pads and the shoebox size calipers that go with them. Nor the need for that large a wheel spacer.

FWIW, a couple of the b/o Wilwood kit are in process and on the way. There was no "waiting for a bunch of orders..." there were simply more sold then expected and to some degree a lull in forecasting of sales for the Spring that have effected a vast number of product. But they're doling out the OT and guys are in fact working (something we don't hear a lot of so hat's off to Wilwood) to get the inventory back up.

Trust me...I probably know better than most of you.

Yeah because a brake caliper with zero drag means nothing in racing. Also even pressure distribution and mulipad means nothing as well. PFC brakes are far more superior then wilwood. Wilwood calipers are poorly made along with their china disc. My Front calipers weigh in at 6.5 lbs and they fit a massive disc. Also PFC make every brake package from the ground up, they engineer the brake kit for the specific car and determine the proper balance for the cars current setup. But dont take my word for it. Ask Billy Johnson or Jack Roush JR or James Clay the owner of Bimmer world who run them in grand am. My point is that alot of missed information is looked over. The idea behind a BBK is to increase your thermal capacity not how big it is or number of pistons its who can run the coolest thus letting you use your brakes longer and PFC has been the best of the best at doing so example their 1st and 2nd place finish in the 24hrs of Daytona race.

Last edited by Alexl08; 04-21-2011 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:32 AM
plumpzz

Originally Posted by Alexl08
Yeah because a brake caliper with zero drag means nothing in racing. Also even pressure distribution and mulipad means nothing as well. PFC brakes are far more superior then wilwood. Wilwood calipers are poorly made along with their china disc. My Front calipers weigh in at 6.5 lbs and they fit a massive disc. Also PFC make every brake package from the ground up, they engineer the brake kit for the specific car and determine the proper balance for the cars current setup. But dont take my word for it. Ask Billy Johnson or Jack Roush JR or James Clay the owner of Bimmer world who run them in grand am. My point is that alot of missed information is looked over. The idea behind a BBK is to increase your thermal capacity not how big it is or number of pistons its who can run the coolest thus letting you use your brakes longer and PFC has been the best of the best at doing so example their 1st and 2nd place finish in the 24hrs of Daytona race.
Are you getting paid to troll here?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Alexl08

Are you getting paid to troll here?
lol nope I dont know why people get mad at the facts

Quick Reply: wilwood bbk