Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Ordering springs, question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:46 PM
mpristave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering springs, question.

I was going to buy some springs and sways but was wondering about something else as I was doing this. I was going to roll my fenders as well, as i got 265/285 setup on 19s a couple of days ago and it rubs obviously, but was wondering before I do this if I get buy these if it would still rub when I take corners aggressively like I would in something like autocross? I know it wont prevent the tire from absolutely hitting the fender but if it can be stiff enough to where only something like hitting a pothole or a dip would cause it, that is what i'm wondering. I dont want to have to pay for the tools I would need to roll the fenders if I do not have to do it.

I'm NOT getting springs to really lower the car as i'm trying to avoid that... insane amount of speed bumps where I work/live.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:03 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

New springs may dampen body compression (pushing the body down). How much depends on rate and design.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:22 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

YOu will need springs that over power the grip of your tire to keep it from gripping and compressing the suspension to the point you rub. I would start with 16k up front.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:52 PM
mpristave

Originally Posted by terrasmak
YOu will need springs that over power the grip of your tire to keep it from gripping and compressing the suspension to the point you rub. I would start with 16k up front.
16kg springs? Seems overkill. I dont think i've ever seen any that strong on any of the sites i've been looking around.

Last edited by mpristave; 04-16-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:44 PM
mpristave

Does anyone have any recommendations on springs me for this? I'm probably going to buy Bilstein HD shocks or koni yellow to go with whatever I should get.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:11 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Well i'm running 12k front springs and it still loads the suspension to the point of where it would rub if i had the wrong offset wheel. I ran 275's up front yesterday at Spring Mountain and the last autocross and had no rubbing at all, my setup will not allow my tire to rub anything.
Just get a set of Nismo T2 race spring and properly valved Koni shocks to run them. That is actually your best bet combined with a set of better wheels for autocross use. PM or call me, i can easily guide you thru setting up your car.
T2 is basically a 12k front and rear combo, rids you of understeer a little. Very similer to what i'm running on my car.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 AM
mpristave

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Well i'm running 12k front springs and it still loads the suspension to the point of where it would rub if i had the wrong offset wheel. I ran 275's up front yesterday at Spring Mountain and the last autocross and had no rubbing at all, my setup will not allow my tire to rub anything.
Just get a set of Nismo T2 race spring and properly valved Koni shocks to run them. That is actually your best bet combined with a set of better wheels for autocross use. PM or call me, i can easily guide you thru setting up your car.
T2 is basically a 12k front and rear combo, rids you of understeer a little. Very similer to what i'm running on my car.

I was looking at those springs but someone had told me that, since i use this card for DD, they would just cause my car to be undrivable on roads with any bumps on them (going airbourne over bumps, losing traction). I'll take another look a them. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:58 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by mpristave
I was looking at those springs but someone had told me that, since i use this card for DD, they would just cause my car to be undrivable on roads with any bumps on them (going airbourne over bumps, losing traction). I'll take another look a them. Thanks for the info.
My car is daily driven too, with proper dampers (shocks) it will hook up great. I still drive this car to and from Cali, i drove to AZ last weekend, going to Cali later on tonight. I like this suspension a lot better than my bone stock 05. BTW if you see the loud silver running around the Alliante area, that would be me.