Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brembo calipers leaking at bolt after reassembly

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Staisman

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Brembo calipers leaking at bolt after reassembly

Ok. I have a OEM brembo front calipers, which I brought to the shop to get refinished. When I got them back they were disassembled and I had to put them back together. They give me four pieces of calipers, and 8 bolts nothing else (pads, pins and shims I took out). So I put them together and installed on the car today, bleed my brakes and was ready about to put wheels back when I noticed my calipers are leaking, and leaking not from joints of the lines, but leaking from the bottom bolt (right from a tread) and also from a seam where are two half are connected to each other. I tried to tighten even more with a big wrench but it is still leaking. I am wondering if there anything could be missing. I am pretty sure I put them together right, there is brake fluid line inside of each half of the caliper and I am wondering if something goes between them? Because I thing it leaks from there and fluid pushed away through the bold tread and other spots.

How to fix it? Can't tight it anymore

Last edited by Staisman; 08-07-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:26 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In the service manual section BR, in the part about Brembo brakes it says in bold print:

"Never remove the four bolts from the inner and outer
sides of the caliper. Do not tighten them further, either."

Now you know why they say that.

Maybe you mixed the parts up, and what was matched sets are no longer matched up.

There's nothing in the SM or any of the parts diagrams I could find that give a clue about how to keep the caliper from leaking if it's been taken apart. I suspect there was an O-ring or copper washer in there someplace to seal the passage between the two pieces.

Take them apart and post some pictures of the mating surfaces. Maybe someone will be able to tell you what you need to fix them. It's not going to be a standard service item since you're not supposed to take it apart.

Last edited by winchman; 08-06-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:52 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some helpful advice - if your thread title actually pertains to the type of help that you need instead of "help", "please help", "need help", etc. you will get help from the people with the appropriate knowledge a lot quicker. Plus, when others in the future are searching for help on your same topic, they have a better chance of finding it.

For example, a good title for this thread would be "Brembo calipers leaking at bolt after reassembly".

Also, search is extremely helpful for topics like this. I did a search for "assemble Brembo" and this was in the first 3 threads that came up in the search results, which talks about the exact same thing that you've run into: https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...eally-wtf.html

If you practice using search first, you'll also learn how helpful it is when folks have thread titles that make sense - so it all sort of goes hand in hand.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:54 AM
calin
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
Some helpful advice - if your thread title actually pertains to the type of help that you need instead of "help", "please help", "need help", etc. you will get help from the people with the appropriate knowledge a lot quicker. Plus, when others in the future are searching for help on your same topic, they have a better chance of finding it.

For example, a good title for this thread would be "Brembo calipers leaking at bolt after reassembly".

Also, search is extremely helpful for topics like this. I did a search for "assemble Brembo" and this was in the first 3 threads that came up in the search results, which talks about the exact same thing that you've run into: https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...eally-wtf.html

If you practice using search first, you'll also learn how helpful it is when folks have thread titles that make sense - so it all sort of goes hand in hand.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:29 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ouch!! After reading through the link in post #3, the situation is even worse than I expected. Looks like your project just got a LOT more expensive and time-consuming.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Staisman

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you for your posts, I new there is something missing, gonna call the company who did my brakes...... If any one know specs for the inner line o-ring, please post here I will be more than appreciated.