Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

OEM brembo rear pad clicks when changing direction

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 03:46 PM
itsjiggajames

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM brembo rear pad clicks when changing direction

If someone can give me insight on my situation I'd greatly appreciate it. My OEM rear brembo brakes when changing directions(Forward to reverse or vice versa), clicks each time I change direction. If i'm going forward only and I never change direction, it'll never click..Pad shifting probably? But it only happens on one rear caliper. I did a crappy inspection of the caliper today and noticed that I had a an extra metal piece sticking out that wasn't on the other side.. (See attached picture) Should I switch out my rear pads or will I be safe running these still? They are OEM brembo pads. Any input would be great!

The part I'm talking about is the upper metal piece sticking out where the pads are near the hub. The other brake caliper/pads on the other wheel doesn't have that sticking out..

Last edited by itsjiggajames; 08-07-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:43 PM
beezee

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Did you install them yourself?. Looks like the shim on the back of the pad is showing down there. Shoul'nt be. Most likely, when the pad was installed, you missed the hole on the pad through which those holding pins slide through. So your pad is not held in place
Old 08-07-2011, 07:00 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Dude your metal to metal, the pads are trashed. Replace the pads and probably the rotor.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be the shims (the clips that push the pads to the piston) that are worn out... I dont run them and the pads make noises every now and then.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:23 PM
itsjiggajames

Originally Posted by Voboy
Could be the shims (the clips that push the pads to the piston) that are worn out... I dont run them and the pads make noises every now and then.
Your pads make noises when you change directions and then hit the brakes too? Or just everytime you tap the brakes?

And to terrasmak, I still have pad life on the pads.. just the angle of the picture makes it look like my pads are gone
Old 08-08-2011, 05:14 AM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

But it also does look like you have drag marks on your rotor...top middle and bottom
Old 08-08-2011, 07:11 AM
itsjiggajames

Originally Posted by JERZ350
But it also does look like you have drag marks on your rotor...top middle and bottom
That's rust from a car wash 5 minutes prior to the photo.. I'll take another picture tonight
Old 08-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by itsjiggajames
Your pads make noises when you change directions and then hit the brakes too? Or just everytime you tap the brakes?

And to terrasmak, I still have pad life on the pads.. just the angle of the picture makes it look like my pads are gone
My pads don't make noise while I'm braking, but they move around and chatter while driving over bumps/uneven pavement.

edit: I reread.. I hear some noise after I let go of the brakes (when stopping reverse) .. the pads and cottor pins are just moving around.

Just check for yourself and see if your cottor pins or pads have a lot of play. If so you either need to locktite the pins or replace the shims.

Last edited by Voboy; 08-08-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:24 AM
StopTechErik
Vendor - Former Vendor

Pad shift is extremely common on OEM Brembo setups and is often reported in the EVO and STi community as well. Its nothing to be concerned about and is due to slight variances in the pad backing plates and the amount of wear that the abutment areas and retaining pins have. In my STi, I had this pad shift in the stock Brembos when I drove the car off the lot, others never see it and many will have it come and go as they change their pads from one brand/manufacturer to another.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:27 AM
itsjiggajames

Originally Posted by StopTechErik
Pad shift is extremely common on OEM Brembo setups and is often reported in the EVO and STi community as well. Its nothing to be concerned about and is due to slight variances in the pad backing plates and the amount of wear that the abutment areas and retaining pins have. In my STi, I had this pad shift in the stock Brembos when I drove the car off the lot, others never see it and many will have it come and go as they change their pads from one brand/manufacturer to another.
So some calipers do it and others don't? It's only my right rear side that clicks; everything else doesn't. thanks for your input..
Old 08-14-2011, 07:56 AM
E K

That piece of metal sticking out looks like the pad wear indicator. Basically if you wear the pads down enough, that piece will start wearing against the rotor, letting you know it's time to replace the pads.