Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

tein basic or megan street r track?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:40 AM
van46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tein basic or megan street r track?

hey guys,

im looking to buy some decent replacement coilovers but around price 1-1.5k max im seriusly doubring between these 3.its for my daily drive no track or circuit driving.soms advice plz grtz van
Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

If it's a daily, go with the Tein Basics unless you're trying to go super low.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:02 AM
van46

a bit lower but not much,i personally tought tein to.just i think their really solid brand but i dont know what is beter quality the tein r megan :s grtz
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 AM
gs400speed23

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i heard nothing but negative stuff about megans. function auto is the way to go! check it out
Old 08-30-2011, 10:11 AM
AngelsVQ

Just get the teins
Old 08-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Originally Posted by van46
a bit lower but not much,i personally tought tein to.just i think their really solid brand but i dont know what is beter quality the tein r megan :s grtz
Tein quality is far above Megan. Customer service is better, as well.

Originally Posted by gs400speed23
i heard nothing but negative stuff about megans. function auto is the way to go! check it out
Function Auto? Do you mean Fortune Auto? Fortune Auto is just another Taiwanese coilover company that's being marketed by some folks here in the USA. No different than Megan, BC, some Apex'i, some Buddy Club, D2, Function&Form... And a ton of others.

I'm not saying that all those products are junk or anything. Some of them are actually great for the money. The problem is that the US companies doing the marketing rarely have much control over the manufacturing, so when the factory in Taiwan changes something or has supply issues, the marketing company ends up with those problems. This can make getting replacement parts (like shocks) very hard. Tein is Tein. They control their manufacturing directly and have been around much longer than the Taiwanese companies/US marketing companies.

Originally Posted by AngelsVQ
Just get the teins
Yeah, get the Teins. I've ridden an a few Z's with Tein Basics, and they ride good as long as you're not going for an insane drop. Here's what we have on our website for the 350Z: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/s...4208_4210.html

If you don't see it on the website, just ask. We can source just about anything, but the website only shows stuff we regularly stock.

Last edited by Vivid Racing; 01-13-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Mcutali

Default coils

i have tein basics, bought em used with 5k on them. for 500 bucks its been the best mod so far, its feels so much better than eibach pro kit on stock struts. stiff and handles great, i have like 8 threads on the front left dont qoute me, and in rear im lowest setting with 1 collar out, fenders rolled. im on stock powdercoated 18s spaced 25mm all around. my next thing is real offset wheels and i want that 10in wide in the rear tired of spaced 8.5

but imo i think anything but megan no offense to anyone.

bc racing for 900 aint bad either!
Old 08-30-2011, 11:56 AM
van46

thx for the responds guys.think il go for tein then.other guys with experience with tein basic?

grtz jens
Old 08-30-2011, 02:56 PM
AngelsVQ

I've driven 4 different cars with teins. They where all great.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:50 PM
CTZ860

I have read many positive reviews about the tein basics...however, they are twin tube design.
In general aren't monotube designs better?
There are other coilovers in the same price range that are monotube....

Any thoughts?
Old 09-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ it really doesn't matter unless you are going to track the car. Zeals or Megans will get you to the grocery store.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
^ it really doesn't matter unless you are going to track the car. Zeals or Megans will get you to the grocery store.
Pretty much... But to answer the question of mono vs twin tube dampers...

Monotubes are much less prone to cavitation, and can withstand higher temperatures. Neither of these things will happen on the street. Besides, I'll take a twin tube w/ engineering and R&D over some random copy of a monotube ANY day!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VividRacing
Pretty much... But to answer the question of mono vs twin tube dampers...

Monotubes are much less prone to cavitation, and can withstand higher temperatures. Neither of these things will happen on the street. Besides, I'll take a twin tube w/ engineering and R&D over some random copy of a monotube ANY day!
"Neither of these things will happen on the street"

Cavitation will show up on the street. Every single twin tube damper I've run on the dyno had cavitation (hysteresis). Koni Sport, TcKline, Truechoice and KW all have it. And we're talking routine dyno runs, not stress tests. The TcKline was the worst offender, when you set the Roehrig software to show hysteresis, you end up with a huge balloon of cavitation as the damper struggles to deliver what asked of it.

BUT, weather it's experienced on the street or not shouldn't be the focus. Does said damper deliver proper valving for the application and given spring rates. Without shock dyno's it's just guessing and praying.

I've tested the Megan product, I wanted to pull them off the car and toss the dampers in the dumpster. Every setting you can set them to is just a different kind of terrible. Too much spring in the front and underdampned in the rear

IMO, I would purchase Kw Variat 1 or it's clone the Eibach Pro-S, before the Tein Basic.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
It doesn't matter when you don't know any better. Their's a reason the marketplace is littered with people reselling stuff and buying something else.

Their are a ton of products that would be the wrong choice for his needs and installing them won't be a mild case of buyers remorse. It does matter.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:24 PM
666ZZZ

Originally Posted by Mcutali
i have tein basics, bought em used with 5k on them. for 500 bucks its been the best mod so far, its feels so much better than eibach pro kit on stock struts. stiff and handles great, i have like 8 threads on the front left dont qoute me, and in rear im lowest setting with 1 collar out, fenders rolled. im on stock powdercoated 18s spaced 25mm all around. my next thing is real offset wheels and i want that 10in wide in the rear tired of spaced 8.5

but imo i think anything but megan no offense to anyone.

bc racing for 900 aint bad either!

that collar out cause any issues? i didnt even bother install it because of how disappointingly low they go back there but i have not driven on them yet. but with only the 2 collars i wonder how well it will stay still. in the past i have used higher up tein stuff with 3 collars and going from 3 to 2 isnt an issue but from 2 to 1 makes me wonder slightly.

as far as the topic at hand, if you want to slam, i can already say i dont like them in that regard, because of the rears. also having to re use some stock parts is ok for saving money but i still dont like it and i dont think everyone who buys them is aware thats the case with these. if thats an issue, buy something nicer than tein basics.

Last edited by 666ZZZ; 09-17-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Itzcashew

Im going to move to Taiwan, open a shop that makes quality parts so the rest can copy how I roll. Then we have cheap quality part...wait that equation doesn't ever work...
Old 09-23-2011, 06:06 AM
666ZZZ

i will give an update on why i will never buy tein again. my kit ended up missing a couple little parts. the c clips and spacers for the fronts.
first off, no im not a dumbass and didnt accidentally throw them out or lose them. i kept all the packing material so i was able to dig throught it again and again.

the one argument i always hear is at least with tein you get customer service. well, they are there but what their exact function is i couldnt say. they want me to pay nearly 40 bucks for these 4 tinyyyyyy pieces that they never gave me.
pretty pissed because this is like my 3rd set of tein coilovers. as i said before i was already rather disappointed with the product itself, although i do blame myself for cheaping out this time. probably going to put them together as is, i still cant comprehend what the c clips are even for and i can probably get something for a nickel at the hardware store close enough to the other one.

if they somehow break without them, well i will probably try the meagan tracks myself and send these through the window at tein next time im in the area.

i had a set of d2's once as well, they came straight from taiwan but guess what, all of the gd parts were at least with them haha. seriously, d2 is one of the cheapies i have seen good results from and would recommend