Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

(NSFW) Setting droop? SPL rear mid links and in general

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 03:37 PM
SE5spd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'd have SPL rear spring and swift front? WTF lol
So the mid link comes with the spring or it cost extra?
Old 10-21-2011, 03:40 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Neimad
this might help visualize why to set it right

I think he wants to set it for drax/hwy pulls (didnt mention auto-x iirc). I assume he isnt going to be lifting an inside rear down the strip (I hope not at least lol)

For drag, its more important on the front though because he could lengthen his piston to make rearward weight transfer more gradual on launch..giving the suspension some additional travel instead of just running out of usable motion (maxing out), which would result in immediate aft weight transfer. Again, I think this will be addressed mostly when he dials in his dampers (front rebound, rear compression, spring length, shaft length)...any droop adjustment after that is just a fine tuning adjustment that is limited by the spring length (and a helper spring if applicable).

My main point is this...the way the Zs rear suspension is designed you cannot set rear droop any less than the uncompressed spring allows *without preloading the spring*

Last edited by guitman32; 10-21-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Neimad

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just liked how the video showed the whole thing moving, I need visuals to grasp things.
I found a bunch of cool looking suspension set-up calculators for all motorsports, not sure if worth the money yet.

My shocks aren't adjustable, this means my springs are being preloaded to achieve desired ride height correct? If so, I'm thinking the noise I'm experiencing is due to the different preload on that spring after the balancing.

SE- SPL sells Swifts on their site. That's what I used, $149 a set.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:20 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Shock valving adjustability has no relation to droop. Ability to set shock piston length is how you adjust droop. Strut type setups (coil over damper) usually have usable droop adujustment...because they are compressed to some degree (greater or equal to your droop) as defined by the spring length. Unless you put a helper spring above the rear spring in the stock config...which I have never seen on a Z...you cant adjust droop max past max spring length.

Having additional "droop" (if you can call it that), past usable spring travel, with or without damper attached, is pointless for most applications.

This is why I think most discussions in the threads on internetz searches are related to *droop limiters*...which for road coursing can improve handling characteristics mildly by improving roll center in a turn and by maybe having an effect on snap oversteer behavior.

But again I think that original post I referenced summed it up...it is not a major effect that shouldnt already be covered by properly tuning other areas of your suspension.

Oh and re: suspension calculators...if you understand enough to use them you understand enough to design them (simple excel should be ok).

Last edited by guitman32; 10-21-2011 at 09:19 PM.