Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 05:32 PM
MackinzeeBarnes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Waizzz
Disaster averted!

OP, refer to this thread to give your stock calipers a little freshing up:

https://my350z.com/forum/body-interi...-calipers.html

I wouldn't suggest painting them red but black or silver are completely acceptable and you won't look like a poser who couldn't afford the Brembos or an aftermarket BBK
Alright thank you, that helps a lot!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:33 PM
MackinzeeBarnes

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
I don't think the caliper covers are such a bad idea. MGP makes some pretty good looking covers but they are a little more expensive than you are looking to spend. I think they are around $200 per set.

I get a lot of harassment on the forums because of my painted calipers. I have had them red for about 9 years now and I suspect they will be red for much longer. Here is a picture of mine. The Z is sitting in my garage with the Battery Tender connected and it will be hibernating until spring.

Thanks for the pics! I think that looks sick, but I don't know if it'd have the same affect on chrome rims; definitely looks nice against the black ones though.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:11 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MackinzeeBarnes
Yep, and not my best experience so far.
You just have to have thick skin.....uhhh, bud.... not sure if male/female so...yea...

Some people will be helpful(including myself) and some will flame you for dumb unresearched questions(including myself).... all part of the game...

My opinion on the COVERS is this: you see a good looking girl from far away and you walk up to check her out up close and when you get close you find out she's got a dick. Happened to me before.....not the chick/dick scenario, but there was a Civic Si with killer color combo yellow brembos big brake kit(BBK) behind sick mini Volk TE-37s......so I thought "this guy has it figured out, this Civic is about to earn my respect". walked up, brake caliper covers behind Varrstoen/Rota replica wheels.... Now Im not starting a Real vs. Replica argument, but people feel let down...

Now for PAINTING calipers: I had my calipers painted blue behind OEM 5 spoke wheels for the same reason you wanted, to clean them up... then I got some Magnesium Blue wheels and the wheels didnt match the calipers and stuck out in a bad way.... Now If you plan on keeping your TSWs forever and dont plan on upgrading brakes, more power to paint.. If done well it looks better than rust.... but if you want to paint them black or silver to get rid of the rust, that'd clean them up!!

Hope this helps

If tl;dr:

NO covers, looks like misleading cool parts
paint is ok, but be tasteful

Good luck, stay strong

Old 12-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Sickboy101

Received 87 Likes on 41 Posts

^^^Good advice...

Beware of chicks with dicks. Cue "The Crying Game" music.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:32 PM
MackinzeeBarnes

Originally Posted by NoQuestionZ
You just have to have thick skin.....uhhh, bud.... not sure if male/female so...yea...

Some people will be helpful(including myself) and some will flame you for dumb unresearched questions(including myself).... all part of the game...

My opinion on the COVERS is this: you see a good looking girl from far away and you walk up to check her out up close and when you get close you find out she's got a dick. Happened to me before.....not the chick/dick scenario, but there was a Civic Si with killer color combo yellow brembos big brake kit(BBK) behind sick mini Volk TE-37s......so I thought "this guy has it figured out, this Civic is about to earn my respect". walked up, brake caliper covers behind Varrstoen/Rota replica wheels.... Now Im not starting a Real vs. Replica argument, but people feel let down...

Now for PAINTING calipers: I had my calipers painted blue behind OEM 5 spoke wheels for the same reason you wanted, to clean them up... then I got some Magnesium Blue wheels and the wheels didnt match the calipers and stuck out in a bad way.... Now If you plan on keeping your TSWs forever and dont plan on upgrading brakes, more power to paint.. If done well it looks better than rust.... but if you want to paint them black or silver to get rid of the rust, that'd clean them up!!

Hope this helps

If tl;dr:

NO covers, looks like misleading cool parts
paint is ok, but be tasteful

Good luck, stay strong

(Yes, I am a girl)
Thanks for the input! I totally get it now. I saw fake Brembo covers and knew that was totally lame, but I didn't realized that that went for all caliper covers. Hahaha your scenario cleared things up. Thanks again.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Collin Lacy

Haha, I think its funny how its OK to paint them but not OK to put covers on them, especially since shes already shown decent taste by knowing that fake brembos are evil. To me the only reason caliper covers are gay is because they cost too much for what they are, not because they make the brakes seem fake. 200 bucks is pricey when a can of paint can do something similar, though not as clean. Here are the MGP ones somebody was talking about. http://www.rvinyl.com/Caliper-Covers...l#.UOEJDm9JOAg Do what you think is cool. Its your car.

Last edited by Collin Lacy; 12-30-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

(Yes, I am a girl)
Thanks for the input! I totally get it now.
I've seen this forum scare girls away with either too much flamage (most will assume you're male) or too much ankle humping. Congrats on the Z, look through the wheel subforum to figure out what mods are considered "acceptable" here.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:37 PM
MackinzeeBarnes

Originally Posted by Collin Lacy
Haha, I think its funny how its OK to paint them but not OK to put covers on them, especially since shes already shown decent taste by knowing that fake brembos are evil. To me the only reason caliper covers are gay is because they cost too much for what they are, not because they make the brakes seem fake. 200 bucks is pricey when a can of paint can do something similar, though not as clean. Here are the MGP ones somebody was talking about. http://www.rvinyl.com/Caliper-Covers...l#.UOEJDm9JOAg Do what you think is cool. Its your car.
Thank you! I totally didn't understand why everyone was freaking out on me, but I guess they all sorta scared me away from caliper covers in the end. Thank you for standin up for me, though!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 PM
MackinzeeBarnes

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
I've seen this forum scare girls away with either too much flamage (most will assume you're male) or too much ankle humping. Congrats on the Z, look through the wheel subforum to figure out what mods are considered "acceptable" here.
Hahahaha thank you for the input. I'll check out the subform.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 PM
pro_350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/197329-the-top-100-common-questions.html
Old 12-31-2012, 04:30 AM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 12-31-2012, 05:10 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only good caliper covers are NO caliper covers.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:24 AM
ocdz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

(Yes, I am a girl)
Thanks for the input! I totally get it now. I saw fake Brembo covers and knew that was totally lame, but I didn't realized that that went for all caliper covers. Hahaha your scenario cleared things up. Thanks again.
Paint the calipers silver.

where in ohio? not many ohio Zs on the forum.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:09 AM
DunZcon

I know Stoptech, Brembo, and AP Racing make awesome "covers" that actually improve your braking
Old 12-31-2012, 06:48 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^as well as Project Mu and Endless
Old 12-31-2012, 07:43 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The best caliper covers are the ones you don't put on your car, but burn instead, so there's one less set of that poseur decor on the market.

That being said, Wildwood caliper covers give you the best performance edge. Make sure you get the rotor diameter extenders, too, so your car catches fire and burns from all the friction from the extra plastic ****.

I think I'm done here.

Last edited by kacz07; 12-31-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:59 AM
MackinzeeBarnes

Originally Posted by slow03z
Paint the calipers silver.

where in ohio? not many ohio Zs on the forum.
Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do.

And I'm around Youngstown, Ohio.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 AM
ocdz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do.

And I'm around Youngstown, Ohio.
Check out the Official Ohio thread in the regional sub forums, someone else just posted up yesterday from youngstown.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:58 AM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DunZcon
I know Stoptech, Brembo, and AP Racing make awesome "covers" that actually improve your braking
I laughed.

+1 for no covers.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:35 AM
prat7728

idk if this helps but i saw these on a mustang over the summer. not a huge fan i think they look tacky. better off keeping them stock or painting a subtle color.
Attached Thumbnails Fake BBK Caliper Covers-photo-dec-31-2-29-24-pm.jpg  

Quick Reply: Fake BBK Caliper Covers