Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Megan Racing Coilovers Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:58 AM
JRSport018

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megan Racing Coilovers Review

So I have had my Megan Racing coilovers installed for a little over a year now, and quite frankly, I'm sick of them. I went from having tanabe gf-210s on my stock suspension then decided to upgrade to coilovers. At first, I thought they were amazing, mainly because they were so much more aggressive/stiffer over the 210's. A year later although, and its just way to harsh of a ride. I've checked the pre-load many times, even raised the car a half an inch, and its still like driving a freakin tank. Every little bump in the road is felt (San Diego roads aren't the best). For the track, I'm sure this is desired but since my z is my DD, its way to harsh. I've tried numerous settings on damper adjustments and even went fully soft (which its set at now), and still, wayyy to stiff of a ride for daily driving. When my car was lowered on the g210's, the ride was MUCH more comfortable. I'm not looking to have it ride like a magic carpet, neither am I wanting it to ride like a stock car, but rather somewhere in between. I'm to the point where im fed up with it and was about to put my 210's/stock suspension back on but then got a suggestion to change out the springs for tein's (springs). Before I spend the 120 on new springs, I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience with there megan racing coilovers or if there were any other suggestions to soften the ride so its more comfortable as a DD.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:24 PM
pbn85

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want to go from the gf-210's to the tein s-techs? The gf-210's offer a lower drop. I have the s-techs and I'm looking to pick up a set of gf-210's. I have my s-techs on d-spec struts and the ride is stock-like. Not sure how it'll be with OEM struts though. The stance is nice.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:42 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Track or Street version?
Old 01-15-2012, 02:32 PM
SE5spd

MR is garbage - nothing new.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:56 PM
JRSport018

Originally Posted by pbn85
You want to go from the gf-210's to the tein s-techs? The gf-210's offer a lower drop. I have the s-techs and I'm looking to pick up a set of gf-210's. I have my s-techs on d-spec struts and the ride is stock-like. Not sure how it'll be with OEM struts though. The stance is nice.
Not sure you understood my post. I'm thinking of putting teins springs ON the megan racing coilover kit and getting rid of the MR springs..

Originally Posted by AdvanZ33
Track or Street version?
Street
Old 01-15-2012, 11:31 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by JRSport018
Not sure you understood my post. I'm thinking of putting teins springs ON the megan racing coilover kit and getting rid of the MR springs..

The spring are a little stiff for daily use, but the main crappy part about Megan coilovers is the dampers.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:27 PM
JRSport018

Originally Posted by terrasmak
The spring are a little stiff for daily use, but the main crappy part about Megan coilovers is the dampers.
So Stock/GF210s > MR Coilovers w/softer tein springs?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Junkster

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like your comparing apples and oranges...

Your tanabe springs are Progressive front and rear where as your megans are not...of course its going to feel more uncomfortable.

What MR kit are you running??? Street or Tracks?

I have the street setup now for almost a year and when i put it on full soft they felt almost identical to my Tanabe NF-210 and tokiko blue setup i had originally...GF-210s are a bit stiffer than the NF's mind you...

I have my on full stiff pretty much all the time but then again i like the stiff feeling. But like i said on full soft it almost feels identical to my NF210s, so maybe you have a custom more aggressing spring rate?? or Tracks?

Overall i love my megans, then again i got my setup for less than what you would pay for a set of new springs lol (gota steal on em) so maybe im bias? but even if i paid 600 bucks for em i would say they are a decent overall CO...

From my experience if you want comfort just DONT get coilovers...stick with a mild spring and aftermarket shock
Old 01-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Junkster

Originally Posted by JRSport018
So Stock/GF210s > MR Coilovers w/softer tein springs?
Another thing is, why did you get CO's? did you want to slam your car??

If you were happy with the ride height of the springs why did you switch em out?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:48 PM
JRSport018

Originally Posted by Junkster
Another thing is, why did you get CO's? did you want to slam your car??

If you were happy with the ride height of the springs why did you switch em out?
I actually got them as a trade for doing some web work, so I really didn't spend money on them. Thats really odd that you say your MR's feel like NF210's with the damper set to full soft, cause mine dont at all. In fact, I can barely tell a difference from full stiff to full soft. The car just rides so harsh its annoying. I used to work from home and rarely drove my car but now that I have an office I drive to, the stiffness is much more noticeable. The only thing I can think of is if they are actually the track version. I was told when I got them they were street... Do they look exactly the same? These are what mine look like: https://my350z.com/forum/suspension/...eet-track.html
Old 01-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Junkster

I cant see the picture websense in my office is blocking it...UGHH

But from my understanding they should look the same for track and street, the only difference is the actual spring rate, I think the valving on the dampers is actually the same as well...

I believe the spring sais the rate, why not check there and compare with the streets? i have to jack up my car tonight, if i remember i could check and post what rates my are
Old 01-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Junkster

Another thing is, maybe they are blown?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:05 PM
JRSport018

I dont think they are blown. My best guess now is that they are track version with the stiffer springs. So the suggestion of getting tein springs would help or even just getting the street version MR springs. I'll check tonight which ones they are.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Junkster

Yea i checked the picture on my phone and they look like the ones i have, check to see the color of your springs also, mine are identical to the pictures on the vendor thread.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:36 PM
JRSport018

Originally Posted by Junkster
Yea i checked the picture on my phone and they look like the ones i have, check to see the color of your springs also, mine are identical to the pictures on the vendor thread.
I know that my springs are black just like the link I showed you. The street/track springs probably look the same just have different rates.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Junkster

^yea im pretty sure as well...

Im trying to remember where on the springs the rates are listed though...i dont remember seeing them but then again i wasnt really trying to look when i installed them
Old 01-17-2012, 02:14 PM
sdZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the street version is the OEM type rear and the track is the coil over shock type rear... So which rear do you have?

If you are slammed, don't expect it to be too comfortable... Also check if there are ny leaks or if they are blown...

My boy has Megans and he loves them...
Old 01-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Junkster

Originally Posted by sdZ33
Well the street version is the OEM type rear and the track is the coil over shock type rear... So which rear do you have?

If you are slammed, don't expect it to be too comfortable... Also check if there are ny leaks or if they are blown...

My boy has Megans and he loves them...
I dont think this is right, im pretty sure they are both OEM rears...then again im not 100% sure but i remember this from when i was researching them...
Old 01-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Junkster

I stand corrected, you are right, tracks are full CO type and NOT OEM....

http://www.frsport.com/Megan-Racing-...35_p_7814.html
Old 01-17-2012, 02:44 PM
JRSport018

Ya I looked on MR website, I do have the street version...

http://www.meganracing.com/product_d...id=93&catid=31

So now Im thinking they are blown?? Seems odd since I really didnt put many miles on them nor have I tracked my car..

Quick Reply: Megan Racing Coilovers Review