Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Whiteline F Sway and Hotchkis R sway....bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by *ICE*
when you guys upgrade with new front & rear sway bars, do you get new endlinks also or use the stock one?
Well, i bought my car with Eibach sways front and rear and the PO used the stock end links. Even after putting my Megan CO's they seem to be doing ok even with me being so low. I dont get any noises from them or anything.

Its on my TO DO LIST, but maybe im just lucky? I hear of so many people having the stock ones make noise i dont know why mine havent yet (or broken for that matter :nailbite: )
Old 01-26-2012, 05:35 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tony_z
Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about coilovers. I just need something basic like TEIN Basics or MR Street (or something similar). I dont want to lower the car to much, just cover the gap between the tire and the side-fenders, but at the same time improve handling, maintain drivability for daily use and have the ability to adjust height just in case I decide to go and track the car . I've read about just using springs, but my shocks have to be replaced so C/Os really look like a great idea.

I already have the rear hotchkiss sway bar and ordered right now a front sway bar. This past Sunday I installed the SPC Camber/Toe kit for my rear wheels. I'm half-way there. Looking for a good price on C/Os

I hope this clears out any doubts.
The Tein Basic are discontinued and have been replaced by:

https://my350z.com/forum/suspension/...coilovers.html

Another solution would be:

http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...ng&prodid=3265

or:

http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...ng&prodid=5290

If you've got the rear camber/toe kit already, that's good. You will need to realign the car once the coilovers go in, keep that in mind. A front adjustable a arm kit may not be needed at all if the drop is kept modest (around 3/4 inch to maybe 1 inch), though each car is different and starts off life with a range of specs. When you go for the alignment post install you can then see where your front camber is. Front toe is adjustable, and that's a bigger killer of tires than camber (assuming you dont spend your days driving only straight). Even if front camber is slightly more negative than stock, as long as it's even side to side, you'll be good
Old 01-26-2012, 05:41 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkster
Well sounds like you got it somewhat figured out.

my .02 regarding Tein Basics is that for the money you pay you can get something better. Tein Basics only allow for ride height and really arent much better than a sleave type coilover and shock setup. Your better off spending a little more and at least get something that provides some damper adjustment.

Also, correct me if im wrong but Tein basics do not allow for adjustment of shock travel but only ride height i thought? I may be wrong but if thats the case its another thing to consider as a negative for the basics...I would rather spend less and get some megans or something lol (let the megan bashing begin). I have Megan streets and i think they are great, mind you my car is slammed...ive had them for about 10k miles or more and they are still running strong, not the best but still good for how much i paid for them.
I'd respectfully disagree

Dampening adjustment is great if 1. you're actually going to use it and 2. it's a meaningful enough span that it matters. The vast majority of coilovers on the market use 16 way, 32 way, 50 way, whatever way adjustability as a marketing tool. And then reality of ownership sets in and you find you have maybe 3 or 4 meaningful adjustment points and 12, 28 + useless points. Makes adjusting them time consuming, and nearly pointless. Better units on the market may only be 6 way, or 9/10 way, but still have 3-5 meaningful points. Meaning less time spent adjusting, and more useless points to adjust in the first place.

Nothing wrong with a damper that's not adjustable. Most people never touch it once arriving at a setting they like anyway. The better non adjustables out there are setup to favor a more rounded approach, so will achieve a good balance of ride/performance under a range of road conditions.

As far as adjustability, again, I'd disagree. A 2 way height adjustable coilover is not automatically better than a 1 way. There are lots of things that go into that determination. Particularly on this chassis. The 1 way units generally have shorter stroke shocks in the first place, and a specified range of adjustment so as not to take stroke so far out of the picture that handling is compromised greatly.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Totally agree with rediculous amounts of adjustment, i always thought it was strange to have 32 settings haha...I pretty much just like the fact that i can make it soft for longer drives or if my passenger is likely to complain. Its a pretty noticeable difference on mine for some reason, where as some people with the megan streets dont even notice a diifference...maybe faulty? i dont know...

Im more or less just providing my input on what i like, and my experience with the CO's that i have now. I find it funny that when i first installed my setup i went from full soft all the way to full stiff within a week and pretty much leave it like that 99% of the time so i totally can relate, its just nice to know i have an option though lol