Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

GReddy Type-S Suspension (Different Spring Sizes?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:38 AM
pfregeolle

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default GReddy Type-S Suspension (Different Spring Sizes?)

Not sure if I'll be able to get an answer here, but I was wondering if anyone who has run the Greddy coilovers has swapped out their rear springs for a shorter spring.

For those who don't know, the Greddy suspension is an OEM type coilover, where the spring is seperate from the shock in the rear. I am maxed out currently on how low the rear will go, and I'd like to take it just a bit further. So I was thinking if I bought shorter sized springs for the rear, it would give me the capability to do so. The springs that come on the coilovers are 240mm per GReddy's web page. They offer other spring sizes from 180mm-250mm I believe, so I was thinking I could just buy two shorter springs and accomplish what I want to do.

Any thoughts, or anyone with experience? Thanks!
Old 02-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pfregeolle
Not sure if I'll be able to get an answer here, but I was wondering if anyone who has run the Greddy coilovers has swapped out their rear springs for a shorter spring.

For those who don't know, the Greddy suspension is an OEM type coilover, where the spring is seperate from the shock in the rear. I am maxed out currently on how low the rear will go, and I'd like to take it just a bit further. So I was thinking if I bought shorter sized springs for the rear, it would give me the capability to do so. The springs that come on the coilovers are 240mm per GReddy's web page. They offer other spring sizes from 180mm-250mm I believe, so I was thinking I could just buy two shorter springs and accomplish what I want to do.

Any thoughts, or anyone with experience? Thanks!

Looks like the kit uses around a 2.5" spring diameter on the upper seat and goes to oem diameter where it sits in the lower control arm. This makes sense since Greddy does not make the setup, they buy it from BcRacing's parent company. IIRC BcRacing does have shorter springs for the rear, explain what you have and ask if they can sell them to you. If you do go lower, don't forget about adjusting the length of the rear dampers as well if needed.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 02-24-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:43 AM
pfregeolle

Great, thanks for the insight! I know GReddy sells shorter springs but they probably mark-up price. So if I can just get a BC spring or generic spring for that matter, then I could just find something that's shorter. Thanks Gsedan.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Gsedan35

Great, thanks for the insight! I know GReddy sells shorter springs but they probably mark-up price. So if I can just get a BC spring or generic spring for that matter, then I could just find something that's shorter. Thanks Gsedan.
Your welcome. The reason I didn't mention Greddy as a shorter spring source is because it's highly unlikely that the shorter springs they offer are 350Z specfic. They are likely 2.5" diameter top and bottom. And you've got to be carefull because I doubt anyone that answers the phone at Greddy will know the 350Z application uses a different diameter in the rear at the bottom. It would have to be a very specific part number of shorter spring tied to the 350Z application. Which I don't see them having. Course it would be one of those cases that if I'm wrong, you benefit.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:24 AM
pfregeolle

Ahh, didn't think of that, thanks. I thought the spring was the same ID the whole way through.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Gsedan35

Ahh, didn't think of that, thanks. I thought the spring was the same ID the whole way through.
Not according to the picture here. Does appear to be the actual 350Z application

http://www.google.com/products/catal...=0CAcQ8wIwAA#p

I'd go out to your car and look the rear springs at the top where they sit on the adjustable seat. You could have a earlier kit.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 AM
pfregeolle

Yep that's my kit. I just wasn't thinking and figured it was the same diameter the whole way. I could always buy the SPL spring buckets...
Old 02-24-2012, 07:45 PM
666ZZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have had the same issue with tein coils. the springs are a joke, they need to be a lot shorter.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 AM
pfregeolle

Just to put the information out there, another member contacted me and has also been digging into this same dilema.

Apparently, BC Racing does have a spring that will work for this GReddy kit that is 30mm shorter than the springs that come in the kit, which would theoretically allow for just over another 1-inch drop. We have been in contact with them, and will keep everyone posted for those interested.

I'd love to get my rear ride height just a tad bit lower, so I'm pretty excited about the outcome here.