Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

BC Racing coilover damper settings suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 06:34 PM
NJVinny350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BC Racing coilover damper settings suggestions.

Ok so I just installed my BC Racing Br Series Coilovers 2 days ago.

I left them on a settings that were on straight from the box and just got them on the car so I could start to wear them in a little. Since I'm on my winter wheels and tires, I had to raise the rears a little (just the struts, not the springs [OEM type coils]) because they were set too low from when I first put them on. After 2 days of driving on them, I realized they are set a little to "bouncy" for lack of a better word.

I only use my car for daily driving, so I don't want to hear it about getting better coilovers. These were in my budget and so far other than being a little too bouncy, I have no complaints.

I wanted to know what other members with these coils are running in terms of damper settings. I'm guessing I need to go stiffer, but I don't know how much stiffer I should go. I read somewhere that you should leave them at a softer setting at first to break them in before going too stiff.

Any suggestions/info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:09 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by NJVinny350z

I left them on a settings that were on straight from the box and just got them on the car so I could start to wear them in a little. Since I'm on my winter wheels and tires, I had to raise the rears a little (just the struts, not the springs [OEM type coils]) because they were set too low from when I first put them on. After 2 days of driving on them, I realized they are set a little to "bouncy" for lack of a better word.

I only use my car for daily driving, so I don't want to hear it about getting better coilovers. These were in my budget and so far other than being a little too bouncy, I have no complaints.

I wanted to know what other members with these coils are running in terms of damper settings. I'm guessing I need to go stiffer, but I don't know how much stiffer I should go. I read somewhere that you should leave them at a softer setting at first to break them in before going too stiff.

I have the same coilovers with maybe 2k miles on them. I have front and rear dampers set around 16 clicks from full soft and I find the ride to be stiff but still with decent shock absorption, i.e. when I hit a bump it's more of a "thud" than a thunderous dashboard-rattling impact. But, I find that sometimes the rear tires seem to come unglued from the road momentarily when I go over a decent bump, like the rear dampers aren't rebounding as quickly as they need to and therefore I'm briefly losing traction. When the weather warms up and I drive the car more I'll be playing around with the settings to try to dial that out. More expensive shocks have adjustable rebound to avoid this issue, I believe.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:14 PM
NJVinny350z

Originally Posted by sry110
But, I find that sometimes the rear tires seem to come unglued from the road momentarily when I go over a decent bump, like the rear dampers aren't rebounding as quickly as they need to and therefore I'm briefly losing traction.
This has happened to me once so far, traveling on a main road and honestly had me saying WTF. My slip light came on over a sloped bump in the road.

I'm trying to avoid this from happening again, It wasn't a fun experience.
Any way to resolve this issue by adjusting settings?

Last edited by NJVinny350z; 03-04-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:27 PM
sry110

This has happened to me once so far, traveling on a main road and honestly had me saying WTF. My slip light came on over a sloped bump in the road.

I'm trying to avoid this from happening again, It wasn't a fun experience.
Any way to resolve this issue by adjusting settings?
I would try adjusting the rear dampers to a slightly softer setting. This allows the spring+shock assembly to rebound quicker. However the decreased damping will allow the springs to oscillate more ie more bounce. Unfortunately it's a trade-off. I'm still hoping there is a sweet spot for these coilovers but I havent found it yet.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:42 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Full soft , then 12 clicks is what ran mine on the street and track.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 PM
sry110

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Thanks for the input. Will give that a try.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:20 PM
NJVinny350z

Is that for the front and rear?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:55 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Is that for the front and rear?
Both
Old 03-08-2012, 02:08 PM
juicenigk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my rears are set to hard 8 clicks and my rear tire will come off the ground sometimes pulling in my driveway. I really need to pull my fenders in the rear and i thought that would help a little from rubbing but its still bad lol
Old 02-24-2014, 07:36 AM
hazehkg

I have recently got the same set, running on 15 clicks from full soft at the front, and 10 clicks from full soft at the rear, and I'm experiencing the same "bouncy" feeling at the rear.

Did you find out how you made the "bouncy-ness" less or better?

This is also my daily driver and other than that, I have no complains.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 AM
aloh

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My car is only street driven, and I love keeping it on the softer side for damping. Rides pretty nice and plays well enough in the corners
Old 03-09-2014, 09:01 PM
ETZ

Have you guys figured out what's causing the bouncy feeling in the rear your experiencing? Have you contacted BC Racing to see what input they can give? Design flaw or settings adjustment.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:31 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by ETZ
Have you guys figured out what's causing the bouncy feeling in the rear your experiencing? Have you contacted BC Racing to see what input they can give? Design flaw or settings adjustment.
Could be damper length, how much up travel do you have?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:53 AM
ETZ

Could be damper length, how much up travel do you have?
I don't have them yet....I'm on the fence about getting the BC Racing or waiting to save more money for the KW variant 2. My friend has the BC's on his Z and though he's never push the car while I was in it the car feels planted in a firm way. I don't track my car but I'm wondering if I should go for the KW's. If I'm correct you sound like your dissatisfied with the BC's. Just want a good handling street car.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:04 PM
dylan drift$

Default Fix the bounce in Bcs

I have a set of bcs on my 04 touring model when I first installed I also had a lot of bounce and was just about ready to go back to stock suspension it was that bad... I find that setting it 20 clicks from full soft and also tightening the spring damper upwards about an inch, so that the spring that sits in the basket is raised up higher to the frame of the car was the true savior it now rides wonderfully just as smooth as my stance super sports on my s14
Old 08-01-2014, 02:41 PM
anthonyxavcx

I've got mine set to 10/8 (clicks from full soft front/rear) - best I've tried yet, but I haven't messed with it all that much. I like it better than 12/12 which I had been using per Terra's suggestion, only because there are such shitty roads here - feels better on bumps, yet seems about as tight as it was.