Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Fortune 500/510 Coilovers? Need a review.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:12 AM
Seelz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fortune 500/510 Coilovers? Need a review.

About to pull the trigger on some Fortune Auto coilovers but have a couple questions. I used the search but didn't find any true reviews on these.

1. Anyone have a first hand review of either the 500 series or 510 series?

2. What's a better bang for the buck: 500 series with swift springs, or 510 series alone?

3. Can anyone recommend something better in the $1300-1400 range?

Thanks

Last edited by Seelz; 04-13-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:52 AM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't really seen reviews from Z guys either, but one big plus is their American facility. They are an Asian based company, but have a facility here in the states that builds, inspects, and services their parts.

I would give them a call and just let them know your goals. I would hope they could tell you what you would need.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Junkster

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Would like to hear more about this, subscribed
Old 04-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Jackson0927

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've had a set of 500 for couple months now. really like em. tons of height adjustability. rides very well

but due to the fact this is the first car i've ever put coil overs on and lowered and in addition my oem was pretty worn out (as far as comparison) my opinion isnt a great one.

oh and not having a front brake line bracket kinda sucks...

otherwise no complaints.

Name:  669ff1f9.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  197.3 KB
Old 04-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Junkster

^ how is adjusting the rear dampening setings? did you drill a holl on the strut? did they come with extensions like some coilovers?

I have the megan streets right now and i think they do the job, wish they went a TINY bit lower in the front but thats about it, i like how they come with rear dampener extensions too..
Old 04-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Seelz

Originally Posted by Jackson0927
i've had a set of 500 for couple months now. really like em. tons of height adjustability. rides very well

but due to the fact this is the first car i've ever put coil overs on and lowered and in addition my oem was pretty worn out (as far as comparison) my opinion isnt a great one.

oh and not having a front brake line bracket kinda sucks...

otherwise no complaints.

Car looks great! That's good to hear as well.

I have heard a lot of good reviews on Fortune's customer service and quality control, but haven't heard much on the coilovers themselves. Hoping we can get an in depth review here.

I might just call them and tell them what I'm planning on doing (which is drifting but also being able to DD) but I think it's a good idea to hear customers reviews before talking to a sales rep
Old 04-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Moore Auto
Banned

Forune Auto makes great coilovers. Great design. We have installed these on many Evo's & Subaru's & the ppl love them. Now for the Z we have not installed any or know anyone who has. But I would Call them up they are great ppl over there & are very helpful with any questions you may have. Also if ever need them rebuild they are in Virginia so they can rebuild them quicker then sending them to japan to get rebuilt.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Jackson0927

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes comes with extenders (x4). dampener clicks are "soft" so hard to count. and I could prolly go down another 1.5" lower than i have it.

i went with pretty stiff springs, and i feel it drastically improved my ride.

ya, great customer service (forgot my spanner wrenches) easy to have rebuilt, plus i've even heard rumor that if you buy a different car they will trade out.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:57 AM
MystaMax

At first, I was all about the Fortune 500's, then I read some threads about leakage issues on 350zmotoring (site may be down, here is a google cache version of the page). There is a review here on my350z.com forum, and the OP states he liked them a lot. He ended up selling them 8 months later due to selling the car. He states he didn't have any issues with them. This specific post in that thread talks about leaking.

As of now, I'm leaning towards the BC Racing Type BR coilovers. Mostly, because they've been around a long time and have a better rep. The Z owners I talk to locally suggest them, and they seem recommended throughout various forums. I won't be making this upgrade until the summer, so I have time to do more research.

Whatever you do, it'd be awesome if you'd share your experience with the rest of us!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 AM
InsaneWang

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ I bought those coilovers from him. I haven't installed them yet so I can't comment on that but the are in great shape! No leaks, nothing at all wrong with them. I will have them on for ZdayZ so I'll give a good review after that
Old 04-13-2012, 11:06 AM
cnz

theres like 4 reviews on these on this site...

Old 04-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Seelz

Originally Posted by MystaMax
At first, I was all about the Fortune 500's, then I read some threads about leakage issues on 350zmotoring (site may be down, here is a google cache version of the page). There is a review here on my350z.com forum, and the OP states he liked them a lot. He ended up selling them 8 months later due to selling the car. He states he didn't have any issues with them. This specific post in that thread talks about leaking.

As of now, I'm leaning towards the BC Racing Type BR coilovers. Mostly, because they've been around a long time and have a better rep. The Z owners I talk to locally suggest them, and they seem recommended throughout various forums. I won't be making this upgrade until the summer, so I have time to do more research.

Whatever you do, it'd be awesome if you'd share your experience with the rest of us!
Hmmm after reading that thread I'm a bit unsure now..should I go with Stance? Anyone recommend something different in the $1300-1400 range?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:22 AM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

For the money I think FA has pretty good stuff overall. I've read a bit about them on Zilvia before and read some info about their products on their site/blog. Still waiting to get a ride along though with someone that is running them.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Junkster

I have also read about the leaking issues on the fortune CO's but seems few and far inbetween...may be wrong though.

For the price range your looking at you may want to check out the power by max coilovers. i know alota 240 guys run them and they love em. They go SUPER low too which is always nice for people like me trying to slam the car.

BC CO's are nice, and i have heard nothing but great things, but in comparison to Stance or Power by max CO's they really dont go that low. Sounds like that what your trying to do so its also another thing to consider.

Originally Posted by Jackson0927
yes comes with extenders (x4). dampener clicks are "soft" so hard to count. and I could prolly go down another 1.5" lower than i have it.

i went with pretty stiff springs, and i feel it drastically improved my ride.

ya, great customer service (forgot my spanner wrenches) easy to have rebuilt, plus i've even heard rumor that if you buy a different car they will trade out.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Take a look at my thread on these coils. There's some short comments from other members throughout the thread, and a really nice review on post #7 (1st page).

https://my350z.com/forum/suspension/...proven-ti.html

That thread on the other forum is the 1st and only time I've seen anyone complain about leaking. I'm not calling him a liar, but I'd like to see more evidence before saying the product sucks . I can tell you that a majority of the issues with leaking coilovers is due to either a poor installation or not cleaning them. If you lower the car by sagging the spring on the front, and/or don't set the shock stroke properly in the rear, you're going to have issues. This applies to all coilovers. Also, if you live somewhere that salts the roads or has road debris (snow, excessive sand/dirt, etc) then you need to keep an eye on the shock shaft. Any dirt that's stuck to that shaft can potentially tear the seal and cause a leak. I'm not just saying this stuff to defend Fortune Auto; this goes for all coilovers!

Last edited by Vivid Racing; 04-13-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Seelz

Originally Posted by Junkster
I have also read about the leaking issues on the fortune CO's but seems few and far inbetween...may be wrong though.

For the price range your looking at you may want to check out the power by max coilovers. i know alota 240 guys run them and they love em. They go SUPER low too which is always nice for people like me trying to slam the car.

BC CO's are nice, and i have heard nothing but great things, but in comparison to Stance or Power by max CO's they really dont go that low. Sounds like that what your trying to do so its also another thing to consider.
I am looking into the Max Pro's, if I can find a dealer with them I might have to take them. I'm not only looking to slam my car, but mainly to drift as well as DD.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Originally Posted by Seelz
I am looking into the Max Pro's, if I can find a dealer with them I might have to take them. I'm not only looking to slam my car, but mainly to drift as well as DD.
Keep in mind that slamming the car is very counter-productive to making it handle well. Having a slammed car that handles really well is a lot of work. I know a few local dudes that have put in a lot of work to keep their cars slammed while maintaining properly functioning suspension.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Seelz

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
Keep in mind that slamming the car is very counter-productive to making it handle well. Having a slammed car that handles really well is a lot of work. I know a few local dudes that have put in a lot of work to keep their cars slammed while maintaining properly functioning suspension.
I worded that wrong, my mistake. I meant I dont really want to slam my car all the way, I'd like it low but to function for drifting over just looks.

I realize that completely slamming it and then wanting function out of it costs a lot of money and is hard to achieve
Old 04-13-2012, 12:09 PM
13ino13

Suscribed. I'll be on swift spec r springs next week because i found them for good price and was impatient. But plan to get coilovers over summer. So far im bent on stande coils with swift springs, but FA sounds promising except for the leaking part..
Old 04-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Junkster

I agree 100% in sacrificing handling when slamming. Its just that most people that look into buying coils like stance or PBM usually fit into the living the low life group of people lol...

Would be a shame if thats what he was trying to do and got BC coils just to find they dont go as low as he wants them to...

Quick Reply: Fortune 500/510 Coilovers? Need a review.