Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brake and Shock Replacement = Thumping/rumble noise all the time

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:06 PM
WestCoastRiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake and Shock Replacement = Thumping/rumble noise all the time

Hey guys,
I am more of a troll than an active board member. I use the Search button very frequency and never have had much of a need to post.

Well I have a major PIA I am dealing with. I changed all the rotors, F+R, all the pads, F+R and only the FRONT shocks.
I bought the shocks from Rockauto.com. I bought the Monroe Shocks that are classified "Sport Suspension" Although I never found if these cars actually came with sport suspension or not. MONROE Part # 72250 and 72251

I have this thumping or light rumbling noise that i hear while driving. At slower speeds it is louder than higher speeds. This noise is NOT only heard on bumps or sharp turns. I hear it all the time.

What can I check for and what are common issues that people run into during a suspension swap?
Is it important to use a torque wrench on every single bolt and nut?
I removed the Lower Control arm to swap the shock. What is the torque spec for the Ball cup on the Spindle/Upright?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:46 AM
WestCoastRiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WestCoastRiot
Hey guys,
I am more of a troll than an active board member. I use the Search button very frequency and never have had much of a need to post.

Well I have a major PIA I am dealing with. I changed all the rotors, F+R, all the pads, F+R and only the FRONT shocks.
I bought the shocks from Rockauto.com. I bought the Monroe Shocks that are classified "Sport Suspension" Although I never found if these cars actually came with sport suspension or not. MONROE Part # 72250 and 72251

I have this thumping or light rumbling noise that i hear while driving. At slower speeds it is louder than higher speeds. This noise is NOT only heard on bumps or sharp turns. I hear it all the time.

What can I check for and what are common issues that people run into during a suspension swap?
Is it important to use a torque wrench on every single bolt and nut?
I removed the Lower Control arm to swap the shock. What is the torque spec for the Ball cup on the Spindle/Upright?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
WOW. 183+ views and not one reply.

So I had my mechanic/friend test drive the car. He doesn't think the noise is coming from the left side like I thought, he said it sounds to be on the right side or somewhere in the middle.

He said to make sure sway bar end link bolts are tight. I have tightened these with an impact wrench. I will loosen them and torque them to the proper value rather than using my impact.

But, I really need some suggestions on what to check. All my bushings look fine and this problem seems to be related directly to my suspension/brake swap.