Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Lightest bbk?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 04:11 PM
black3.5z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightest bbk?

was looking at getting a bbk stoptech or wilwood was wondering which one was lighter? I have searched a fair bit but keep getting conflicting info. And do both companies make a 4/2 system or only stoptech? And the weight or the own brembos too.

Last edited by black3.5z; 05-15-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Todd TCE
Sponsor
TCE Performance Products

The 13" Wilwood front kit weighs roughly 52lbs.

The 14" Wilwood front kit weighs roughly 62lbs.

The 13" Wilwood rea kit weights roughly 57lbs.

Both are 6/4 piston combos. Hope that helps.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:04 PM
black3.5z

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
The 13" Wilwood front kit weighs roughly 52lbs.

The 14" Wilwood front kit weighs roughly 62lbs.

The 13" Wilwood rea kit weights roughly 57lbs.

Both are 6/4 piston combos. Hope that helps.
ok that does help anybody happen to know what the 04 non brembo brakes weigh
Old 05-15-2013, 09:49 PM
freddys 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just the calipers?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:25 PM
shyun1250

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do some searching.
I'm pretty sure someone here or on g35driver did a weigh in of a bunch of different BBK's.
I was interested in this also so I did the search.
If my memory serves me right the wilwood Superlite bbk's with 2 piece floating rotors were the lightest and the stock 370z Akebono bbk being the heaviest.

Also keep in mind that although Wilwood does carry the lightest, from what I have heard, they will be subject to rebuild quite frequently.

In addition, I've heard that quite a few people selling them aren't even selling a proper kit made and tested for our cars, rather just slapped together and sold for a more economical price.

Shyun

Edit: Just read over your post. For 4/2 kits, just stick with oem brembo. A huge variety of parts and more resources available for it. I would spend the $$ on simply getting much better light weight rotors and quality pads.

Last edited by shyun1250; 05-15-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:40 AM
Todd TCE
Sponsor
TCE Performance Products

A couple of comments on the above post.

1. Wilwood does not use floating rotors. They are 2pc fixed mount. This is to keep down the wear and tear, cost and noise often associated with full floating rotors. Granted there are pros and cons to both designs and I'm sure many folks are equally happy with their X brand floating rings also.

2. The 13" kit is probably the lightest yes. The 14" kit however is more likely in line with many of the other kits. Some of the lightness comes however from the size and mass of the caliper body and pads. On the other side of the coin larger, beefier calipers can be a nice thing under the most extreme racing conditions and fat brake pads last a long time. That can often be a problem for wheel fit necessitating wheel spacers.

3. Wilwood calipers don't require any more or less rebuilding than any other brand. That's a myth perpetuated by the fact they don't have dust boots. Never mind the fact that many other booted calipers require those boots be replaced in a matter of a few track days from being burned up and melted. The stainless steel piston is both durable and less subject to damage than the aluminum ones in other calipers. And transfer less heat to the fluid. As one who sells both kits and parts I probably sell "rebuild kits" to customer who've had calipers in competition use after a couple of years service.

4. While it's true there are Wilwood knockoffs keep in mind that Wilwood sells caliper to shops such as my own who can produce good or poorly designed product. Clearly others can sell kits as Wilwood Kits but if they do not have 2pc rotors or if they don't carry the proper Wilwood pdf paperwork they are not factory kits. This alone is not bad however as we produce an optional W6A shod 14" kit replacing the FNSL6 caliper for example. But it's clearly labeled a TCE/Wilwood kit for this reason. I do not believe you'll find many companies large or small that truly 'test' kits. We design, build, market and sell product based upon proper fit, application and experience. I'd challenge any brake company to prove they've tested every kit they sell- think about that...it's just not realisitc. Nonetheless, a kit should be designed with some integrity and experience. How do you know who meets that criteria? Ask for referrals or for their experience in doing so. Check other platform message boards for input.

I won't suggest one brand or make over another. That's your choice. Dollar for dollar however the Wilwood factory kits remain a bargain with complete four wheel kits available for under $2500.

Last edited by Todd TCE; 05-16-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

I think you should focus your concern on rotor weights rather than caliper or full kit weights.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:54 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,301 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Phenom
I think you should focus your concern on rotor weights rather than caliper or full kit weights.
was thinking the same thing…rotational mass should be your priority…Additional caliper weight is negligible...
Old 05-16-2013, 08:34 AM
Todd TCE
Sponsor
TCE Performance Products

I tend to agree with these statements also. Rotor weight and rotational mass is more important than total weight.

Sure total weight has value also...but I don't hear many folks removing their power seats, big stereo speakers, sun roof....! lol Interesting how folks value so much of that but want to shave 3lbs per corner with aluminum calipers. In the grand scheme of things a few pounds is not really going to mean much.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:56 PM
black3.5z

Ok well the info has been great I did find a weight list on another site but still no 04 oem weights caliper or rotor. I have yet to find a wilwood 4wheel kit for under 2500 and I couldn't fun out if the make a 4/2 kit. And I would go with a oem brembo if I could find one for a good price. But also buying used brakes worries me.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:02 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,301 Likes on 1,025 Posts

AP racing...
Old 05-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Todd TCE
Sponsor
TCE Performance Products

You haven't? You're not looking hard enough.

And 'no' they have never made a 4/2 combo. Not from the factory, someone could have done it. The issue is the rear rotor would be .375 solid, not vented as this is how the two pot caliper is engineered. There's no vented (ie. .750-.900 wide) caliper for the use.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:33 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by black3.5z
was looking at getting a bbk stoptech or wilwood was wondering which one was lighter? I have searched a fair bit but keep getting conflicting info. And do both companies make a 4/2 system or only stoptech? And the weight or the own brembos too.

which stoptech bbk?

there is their regular and their trophy kit...
Old 06-27-2013, 04:30 AM
black3.5z

The oem single piston steel caliper i read was 10.38 pounds an the rotors were 16. Something I'm also really interested in this. I'm debating over the stoptech 4/2 system but can't find the weight anywhere for the calipers and rotors. I just went from factory 18 wheels to lmgt4s and the weight difference in te wheels is awesome I don't want to lose that when I go to a bbk. After driving my buddies 135i with his 6 piston front I really want a set but if the 4 piston are considerably lighter I will go with those