Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

upper front arms, aftermarket vs OEM: use same bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 413 Likes on 236 Posts
Default upper front arms, aftermarket vs OEM: use same bushings?

ok so heres the deal.. its EXTREMELY difficult to get my car up on a lift.. and right now I dont ahve a jack lol.. laugh and point yes yes..
But heres my issue..

I have replaced all the bushings up front on my car EXCEPT the FUCA bushings.. as I had some cheapy upper arms thrown on at one point to try and test fit some aggressive wehels back in the day.. I jsut left the arms on the car after that..

heres my symptoms:
Ive been told before that it looks like the junk rubber bushings in them looked fried.. didnt have any driving issues until now tho..

im also getting some heavy vibration of my st wheel above 60mph on fwys etc..always, not dependent on braking, i have a brand new bbk, new tires, and new wheels, no recent trauma lol. Its also paritally on and off.. as is sometimes its worse sometmies its nt ot as bad.. means its something that moves IN and OUT of spec.

in parking lots, i can get an audible clank noise when braking and letting off quickly, backing up etc.. as if something is shifting around.

SO AFTER ALL THAT LOL.. here's my actual question..
hoping to get some answers as my manufacturer ph calls arent getting me any answers.. no one knows what sizes they use of if they are oem sized..

are most aftermarket arms using the same bushings or at least the same size bushings as the stock arms?
Im hoping i can just order some Whitelines and be done.

TO add to this madness, i have no idea what arms i actually have lol. They are blue.. thats all i know. and the adjusters are slotted vs multiple holes.

Last edited by bmccann101; 08-22-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:51 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,308 Likes on 1,663 Posts

What LCA bushing do you have. The UCA could be the problem, but not that common.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:54 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

it IS my FUCA bushings.. I ahve whitelines elsewhere.
My issue is that Im trying to get urethane to replce the FCUA bushings in these arms, and no on including manyufactureres has any idea the size they use inthier arms.
Im literally stuck eyeballing it w google images ..or.. dismantling my car again, at someone elses shop, then measuring, then ordering, waiting, etc etc.. no bueno.. i need to roll to that shop w parts in hand and have them swapped out that day..

youd think this would be an easy one lol..

so.. im looking for someone else who has done this and may have the bushing size data for me.. knock on wood.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:09 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,308 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101
it IS my FUCA bushings.. I ahve whitelines elsewhere.
My issue is that Im trying to get urethane to replce the FCUA bushings in these arms, and no on including manyufactureres has any idea the size they use inthier arms.
Im literally stuck eyeballing it w google images ..or.. dismantling my car again, at someone elses shop, then measuring, then ordering, waiting, etc etc.. no bueno.. i need to roll to that shop w parts in hand and have them swapped out that day..

youd think this would be an easy one lol..

so.. im looking for someone else who has done this and may have the bushing size data for me.. knock on wood.
Your probably SOL, best bet is contact the maker of the UCA.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:10 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I doubt you'll find an answer to what you're looking for, but my guess is no.

Nobody goes through that many upper control arms to know, and even if they did, they'd have to take out the bushing to measure the diameter -- too much unnecessary work.

You yourself admitted you threw on "cheapy upper arms." Why try to put a band aid on the problem when you can just buy brand new, proper ones?

If it's blue and slotted design, then it's probably like Cusco, TopSpeed, eBay.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:20 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
You yourself admitted you threw on "cheapy upper arms." Why try to put a band aid on the problem when you can just buy brand new, proper ones?

If it's blue and slotted design, then it's probably like Cusco, TopSpeed, eBay.
honestly, the car will never be raced, so aggressive tube strength isnt an issue, the ball joints are fine, and the only real upgrade to buying a new "proper" arm is the polyurethane.. so the only problem is the bushings really, and replacing w urethane isnt really a band aid lol. Its a vast upgrade.

new urethane bushings are going to run me 35 bucks of its OEM sized... cant be beat.

There's simply zero reason for me to spend 250 or more on a new set in my case.. well, in most ppls case really. Plus im 70000% done dumping money into this car that has given me little if not EXTREMELY limited return on my investment in terms of fun.. thers somethihng to fix on this car now every time i drive it..

I see why people part thier builds out often.. theyre pretty pointless imho lol.

Anyways, ill let this thread trail and see what i find.

Im sure someone has swapped out the bushings before on an aftermarket arm.

Last edited by bmccann101; 08-22-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:50 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

It's true that it'd be cheapest if you can simply replace bushings. If not, then the trouble of replacing the bushings on the self-proclaimed cheap arms (especially taking it to a shop and not having a jack) may not be worth it was all I was saying.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:20 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

werd, i hear ya.

I sacked up and just bought the darn bushings lol.. Z1 in GA.. never shopped w them before, seem pretty nice so far, dunno we shall see.

Id rather have SOMETHING in hand when we take it apart vs nothing.

Worst case scenario, im sure I can find a set of OEM arms in town here.. Id almsot rather have OEms and urethane than these anyways lol.. my cars not THAT dropped anyways lol.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:37 PM
AARONHL

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101

heres my symptoms:

im also getting some heavy vibration of my st wheel above 60mph on fwys etc..always, not dependent on braking, i have a brand new bbk, new tires, and new wheels, no recent trauma lol. Its also paritally on and off.. as is sometimes its worse sometmies its nt ot as bad.. means its something that moves IN and OUT of spec.

in parking lots, i can get an audible clank noise when braking and letting off quickly, backing up etc.. as if something is shifting around.
I've recently been looking into replacing my SPC front upper arms because the bushings are shot- at least on the right arm. I have the SAME EXACT symptoms as you. There is an earthquake in my steering wheel on the highway...I'd recommend Kinetix arms because they have a bushing design that doesn't twist or tear with suspension movement like all other arms do. And they are easily replaceable without needed to press in.

I'm going to install Kinetix arms soon and will report back
Old 08-23-2013, 09:32 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

cool beans, yeah i fugred its the FUCA as thats the only thing that isnt fairly new, and are also known to be in poor condition..

While i certainly think adding a reply about the results is worthwhile for thread searchers, im personally not in the market for Kinetix arms for this car.. its limited in yearly mileage due to insurnance type, and only sees fwy time.. if i spend any more real cash on this thing its going to be on things that keep it cooled down lol.

Hopefully I will have a reply soon, ordered the Energy Suspension black bushings already, OEM sized, hopefully my cheesy arms use a factory size. dunno
Old 09-04-2013, 03:16 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

energy suspension black bushings from z1 in georgia... installed cleanly and snugly into my dinky yet totally functional aftermarket arms.. 40 dollars shipped..thank you and good night.

previous shop had me set super negative camber too..so we maxed both arms out positive, now im nice and straight up n down.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:01 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Nice, so your aftermarket arms accept the factory sized bushings? What brand are your arms?
Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

couldnt tell honestly, but i know visually, they look dead on to these, which are sold under a million brand labels lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-07-NISSAN-350Z-INFINITI-G35-ADJUSTABLE-FRONT-UPPER-CONTROL-ARM-CAMBER-KIT-BL-/261231913556?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A350Z&hash=item3cd2a2aa54&vxp=mtr
Old 05-29-2014, 01:26 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

in case any one was wondering on thye outcome.. the bushings i copped from Z1 in GA fit in these perfectly. no problems, all set now.