Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

0 camber issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 07:53 PM
frocker93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 0 camber issues?

Would there be any noticeable handling changes with 0 camber in the front and rear? The car is not gonna be tracked. And how do you get 0 camber in the front and rear? I have adjustable arms in the rear, do I need to make the toe bolt hole larger or do I need different arms?
Old 09-11-2013, 08:52 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

The car will be tail happy
Old 09-11-2013, 08:58 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

Sound like someone bought the wrong car and should have gotten a Prius.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:39 AM
frocker93

Originally Posted by SR71
Sound like someone bought the wrong car and should have gotten a Prius.
Very funny. I don't understand what's wrong with people wanting to save money when they can.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:07 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by frocker93
Very funny. I don't understand what's wrong with people wanting to save money when they can.
How are you saving money?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:40 AM
chinkymrsettles

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

this car comes stock with a bit of negative camber right? I'm a suspension newbie so I apologize if i'm wrong.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:23 AM
frocker93

Originally Posted by terrasmak
How are you saving money?
Tires last twice as long. I've had the car a year and have gone through 3 sets of rear tires. 0 camber would let me rotate them without having to re-mount them the opposite way.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:25 AM
frocker93

Originally Posted by chinkymrsettles
this car comes stock with a bit of negative camber right? I'm a suspension newbie so I apologize if i'm wrong.
Yes it does
Old 09-12-2013, 12:14 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Tires last twice as long. I've had the car a year and have gone through 3 sets of rear tires. 0 camber would let me rotate them without having to re-mount them the opposite way.
Actually 0 camber would not do that. Since tire size is staggered they still need to be flipped and remounted. Also, I typically got 25k out of my rear tires, my rear was set at -2.1 as a street car. My fronts lasted between 30k and 40k on the street with a camber setting of -1.5 at first then dropped to 25k to 30k when I bumped camber to -2.5 as I got more serious for the track.

Your car has other problems if you shred tires that fast.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:06 PM
grug1

I've run close to zero camber front and back with toe in at both ends. Handling is neutral with good even tire wear however I'd still suggest you run 1.3 to 1.5 degrees neg camber if you drive even moderately aggressively
Old 09-12-2013, 02:39 PM
stuartc323

Would there be any noticeable handling changes with 0 camber in the front and rear? The car is not gonna be tracked. And how do you get 0 camber in the front and rear? I have adjustable arms in the rear, do I need to make the toe bolt hole larger or do I need different arms?

Dude you have something wrong with your suspension, stock camber is -1, and even then you dont use tires like that. Your rear tires will go faster than your fronts because its a RWD car. Either you are driving way too hard, using cheap *** tires, or your suspension is broke.

Originally Posted by grug1
I've run close to zero camber front and back with toe in at both ends. Handling is neutral with good even tire wear however I'd still suggest you run 1.3 to 1.5 degrees neg camber if you drive even moderately aggressively
I highly doubt the neutral handling, because that doesnt come from camber, and camber is what gives the Z its cornering ability, go close to 0 and you lose that. I have had 0 camber on my Z before just to see what it will do, and handling was half of what it was supposed to be. I was spinning out tail end first just like Terra said, i would slide really hard on turns, and the car didnt feel as stable.

OP what kind of tires are you using? and do you have any suspension mods on your car?
Old 09-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on other alignment related issues, maybe try running a tire with much higher tread wear?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:25 PM
frocker93

I have a square setup so I can rotate my tires like a normal car. Suspension and alignment are fine, and I've had michelin and continental tires.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:03 PM
grug1

I highly doubt the neutral handling, because that doesnt come from camber, and camber is what gives the Z its cornering ability, go close to 0 and you lose that. I have had 0 camber on my Z before just to see what it will do, and handling was half of what it was supposed to be. I was spinning out tail end first just like Terra said, i would slide really hard on turns, and the car didnt feel as stable.

?[/QUOTE]

Maybe you need to look at your shocks/ springs or refine your diving style.

The OP asked a question, I answered based on my experience on my road going Z, if your eperience differed, it differed, nothing more.

And just for the record, I'm running 1.3 deg neg at the moment in my road Z and find it wears even across the tire face.

On my track only Subaru I'm still only running 2.2 deg F with 1.8 R compared to other who run 3.5 deg or more and always place the the top 5 in events I compete in. Yes you might pick up a little mid corner speed and it feels fast running more neg camber but consideration needs to be given to all aspects of maximising traction, brake, entry, apex, power down exit.

And now the big revelation, ideal camber setting is not an absolute, it's subjective and what works for some may be **** to others.

Last edited by grug1; 09-12-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:12 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by grug1

?

Maybe you need to look at your shocks/ springs or refine your diving style.

The OP asked a question, I answered based on my experience on my road going Z, if your eperience differed, it differed, nothing more.

And just for the record, I'm running 1.3 deg neg at the moment in my road Z and find it wears even across the tire face.

On my track only Subaru I'm still only running 2.2 deg F with 1.8 R compared to other who run 3.5 deg or more and always place the the top 5 in events I compete in. Yes you might pick up a little mid corner speed and it feels fast running more neg camber but consideration needs to be given to all aspects of maximising traction, brake, entry, apex, power down exit.
And now the big revelation, ideal camber setting is not an absolute, it's subjective and what works for some may be **** to others.

LOLOL I was telling you that what you told the OP is not a proper way to setup these cars. Sure you can roll around on 0 camber all you want, but in OPs case he is worried about tire wear and handling changes which will change with postive camber on a Z. A subaru and a Z are two completely different cars and are no comparison because of different suspension geometry and mechanics, so unless you drive that Z on the track, dont use that as your basis for your argument.

BTW the bold just kills your whole original post. Why tell the OP that its ok for him to run positve camber when your own Z is running near stock negative camber and experiencing similar to same tire wear? You say something like the second sentence in bold and that just tells me you have sort of a clue but not really.

Last edited by stuartc323; 09-13-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:53 PM
grug1

Originally Posted by stuartc323
LOLOL I was telling you that what you told the OP is not a proper way to setup these cars. Sure you can roll around on 0 camber all you want, but in OPs case he is worried about tire wear and handling changes which will change with postive camber on a Z. A subaru and a Z are two completely different cars and are no comparison because of different suspension geometry and mechanics, so unless you drive that Z on the track, dont use that as your basis for your argument.

BTW the bold just kills your whole original post. Why tell the OP that its ok for him to run positve camber when your own Z is running near stock negative camber and experiencing similar to same tire wear? You say something like the second sentence in bold and that just tells me you have sort of a clue but not really.

Your right, I'm wrong

Dude you're missing the point entirely

Last edited by grug1; 09-13-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ANYWAYS OP factory spec is your best bet still. How many miles on the car? Because with worn out suspension bushings maybe you can still get alignment in spec on the rack, but once you start driving it (load & unload) everything goes out of whack.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:20 PM
zach711f

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I run 0 camber in the rear. It's for other reasons but it drives fine on the street. Love the way it responds.

But yah anyways I don't suggest it it for grip racing. You should just stick to the stock settings for daily driving. I have never noticed a problem driving on the streets with 0 camber.

Last edited by zach711f; 09-13-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:08 PM
grug1

Originally Posted by stuartc323

BTW the bold just kills your whole original post. Why tell the OP that its ok for him to run positve camber y.

PS: you need to sue your grade teacher. 0 degrees is neither positive or negative, it holds a neutral or zero value ( hence why it's referred to as 0)
Old 09-14-2013, 05:28 AM
zach711f

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Speaking of positive camber. Some formula d guys run positive camber depending what track there on. I was talking with matt field during drift week in Colorado. I noticed one wheel neutral and one wheel positive camber. He said because of the entry being on turn 4 of the oval track he gets even tire wear on the slope with positive camber on the one side.

Quick Reply: 0 camber issues?