Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Choosing correct size for bumpstops?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 03:34 AM
sidewaysil80

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Choosing correct size for bumpstops?

My TC Klines just came back from rebuild (they were spares and did not have any bump stops with them) and they included the foam type ones when they sent them back. However, they look MASSIVE. The front shocks were shortened (springs are .8" drop) and the bump stops seem to take up the whole shaft.

My question is, how do I measure the amount to take off or is there a general rule of them? I know these are too big but I'm not sure how to determine the proper amount to cut off OR if I should just purchase progressive ones. If so, which length? If it matters the spring rates are 690lbs.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:30 AM
POS VETT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump stop is a matter of suspension compression travel limit and the compressed length of the damper. In your specific case, where are they ? Is the damper shown positioned at full length ?
Old 10-05-2013, 06:44 AM
sidewaysil80

Originally Posted by POS VETT
Bump stop is a matter of suspension compression travel limit and the compressed length of the damper. In your specific case, where are they ? Is the damper shown positioned at full length ?
Yes, the damper shown is at full length, admittedly the picture is a little deceiving. I will post better pics when I get home this afternoon.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:29 PM
sidewaysil80

The shaft is 5" and the bump stop is a mm over 2"...the bump stops appear to be hardened foam type compound.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:30 PM
POS VETT

That seems to be a very short compression travel.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:36 PM
sidewaysil80

That seems to be a very short compression travel.
Due to the shaft or the large bumpstop? I'm assuming they just threw generic ones on as all four dampners share the same size bump stop. The shocks were shortened to compensate for the drop, but I have no idea how to properly size the bump stops. Or if such formula or theory exists...
Old 10-06-2013, 04:11 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Install shock without spring or bumpstops , install zip tie on shock shaft , install tire , compress suspension it bottoms or tire bottoms. Measure and decide how big of a stop is required. Very simple, also the foam stops are made it increase usable spring rate as they engage. The ones I run I like 120lb , they engage 3/4 of an inch before I want the suspension to stop. Kinda cool, it's like a progressive system.

Last edited by terrasmak; 10-06-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:44 PM
POS VETT

What's the available travel for the damper ? Subtract compressed length from full/extended length.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:03 PM
sidewaysil80

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Install shock without spring or bumpstops , install zip tie on shock shaft , install tire , compress suspension it bottoms or tire bottoms. Measure and decide how big of a stop is required. Very simple, also the foam stops are made it increase usable spring rate as they engage. The ones I run I like 120lb , they engage 3/4 of an inch before I want the suspension to stop. Kinda cool, it's like a progressive system.
Awesome advice, thank you! So essentially I'm trying to see how much shaft is exposed after bottoming out and then usung the bumpstop to ease into/stop at that point?
What's the available travel for the damper ? Subtract compressed length from full/extended length.
When I get home in the morning I will measue the fronts/rears and get you that info.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewaysil80
Awesome advice, thank you! So essentially I'm trying to see how much shaft is exposed after bottoming out and then usung the bumpstop to ease into/stop at that point?
That is correct. Or stop the travel before that point so hard parts don't hit. My car , I had to limit front travel a little more than my previous setup to keep my splitter from hitting the ground.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:50 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I personally don't run bump stops...