Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Z1 Brake Upgrade vs. 14" Akebono (BREMBOS STAY OUT)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Osborn Wu

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Z1 Brake Upgrade vs. 14" Akebono (BREMBOS STAY OUT)

Z1 brake upgrade:
http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2240

14" Akebono:
http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=4626

between the 2 options, which one would perform better?

I don't think there are any solid review for the Z1 upgrade so I have 0 idea how it performs. On the other hand, there are some mixed reviews for the Akebono where the con is the weight.

At the moment, I am leaning towards the Akebono for the look as, again, I have no idea how great the performance is for the Z1 upgrade. But I must admit the upgrade kit is winning in the price department.

Judging from Performance, Price, and Look, they both won a seat in one category. Now I need someone acknowledgeable to help me settle the performance aspect. Anyone?

And yes, Brembo isn't an option in this question.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:13 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

the upgrade does not include calipers...... it is just the rotors, lines, and pads

so with that being said, the akebono will perform better because with the z1 kit you are still using factory calipers
Old 11-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Osborn Wu

Originally Posted by travlee9374
the upgrade does not include calipers...... it is just the rotors, lines, and pads

so with that being said, the akebono will perform better because with the z1 kit you are still using factory calipers
Thanks for pointing that out. I do notice that the calipers are not included too but wasn't sure how much of a different that would make.

but if that's the case, I guess I will go with the Akebono for sure this coming Black Friday then.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:35 AM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

^^^ No offense but of course calipers would make a difference... OEM 2-pot vs. Akebono 4-pot (fronts) paired with larger rotors...

& you may want to look into upgrading to Stainless Steel Brake Lines... They really do help.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Osborn Wu

Originally Posted by pyshin
^^^ No offense but of course calipers would make a difference... OEM 2-pot vs. Akebono 4-pot (fronts) paired with larger rotors...

& you may want to look into upgrading to Stainless Steel Brake Lines... They really do help.
That's good to know, now I won't feel bad about getting rid of those fugly OEM calipers lol

and yup, I have plan to include those SS lines in the options. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:07 AM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The biggest negative I can think of with the Akebono kit is not the weight, but the decel hole that results whenever the ABS is activated.

The ABS computer relies on a known P-T value to calculate how much pressure to bleed off the system when it detects a wheel locking. P-T value is the amount of brake torque generated for each psi of hydraulic pressure. The Akebono calipers increase this value significantly over a track or 03-05 system, i.e they generate much more brake torque per psi than stock brakes do. This is why they feel like they "bite" harder. If Nissan didn't reprogram the later systems for the increased caliper area, it will negatively affect those cars as well.

What happens is that when the ABS ECU detects a wheel with greater deceleration than the others, it will try to bleed off an amount of pressure based on the original P-T value of the system to adjust the deceleration rate of the locking wheel to be equal to the deceleration rates of the others. This change in pressure with the Akebono brakes will result in a LARGER decrease in brake torque than the computer intends, and it will feel like the ABS just kicked your foot off the brake pedal. This is called a "decel hole."

This is a potential safety issue that I see with the Akebono setup. The car will stop significantly faster with the ABS disabled, in this case. The BBK I'm working on keeps the P-T value within 0.9% of stock, much like the Stoptech kits do. There's a white paper on StopTech's website about this phenomenon, and it's worth reading for ANYONE who is upgrading the factory system.

http://www.centricparts.com/files/Wh...ake%20Kits.pdf

Last edited by kilogram; 11-23-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:12 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by kilogram
The biggest negative I can think of with the Akebono kit is not the weight, but the decel hole that results whenever the ABS is activated.

The ABS computer relies on a known P-T value to calculate how much pressure to bleed off the system when it detects a wheel locking. P-T value is the amount of brake torque generated for each psi of hydraulic pressure. The Akebono calipers increase this value significantly over a track or 03-05 system, i.e they generate much more brake torque per psi than stock brakes do. This is why they feel like they "bite" harder. If Nissan didn't reprogram the later systems for the increased caliper area, it will negatively affect those cars as well.

What happens is that when the ABS ECU detects a wheel with greater deceleration than the others, it will try to bleed off an amount of pressure based on the original P-T value of the system to adjust the deceleration rate of the locking wheel to be equal to the deceleration rates of the others. This change in pressure with the Akebono brakes will result in a LARGER decrease in brake torque than the computer intends, and it will feel like the ABS just kicked your foot off the brake pedal. This is called a "decel hole."

This is a potential safety issue that I see with the Akebono setup. The car will stop significantly faster with the ABS disabled, in this case. The BBK I'm working on keeps the P-T value within 0.9% of stock, much like the Stoptech kits do. There's a white paper on StopTech's website about this phenomenon, and it's worth reading for ANYONE who is upgrading the factory system.

http://www.centricparts.com/files/Wh...ake%20Kits.pdf

Sounds like yet another reason to find and install a set of OEM Brembos, along with lower cost, lighter weight, and less chance of interference with aftermarket wheels.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:27 AM
Osborn Wu

Originally Posted by dcains
Sounds like yet another reason to find and install a set of OEM Brembos, along with lower cost, lighter weight, and less chance of interference with aftermarket wheels.
I'm not so sure about the "lower cost", akebono and brembo cost about the same used (at least from what I've seen). And I won't be considering aftermarket wheels so that doesn't matter to me.

Tho, after reading the article, I'm curious about what's the P-T and P-V value for stock non-brembo and for the akebono. Time to google :/
Old 11-26-2013, 05:33 AM
travlee
Master

with the akebono you get a bigger rotor so i would say they would prob stop better
Old 11-26-2013, 05:52 AM
Osborn Wu

with the akebono you get a bigger rotor so i would say they would prob stop better
I actually score a nice set pretty cheap last weekend, was going to report in but then saw kilogram posted that article so i'm just looking up stuff.

it's a PITA to go through all the PT cruiser link on google tho.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:55 AM
dcains

Originally Posted by Osborn Wu
I'm not so sure about the "lower cost", akebono and brembo cost about the same used (at least from what I've seen). And I won't be considering aftermarket wheels so that doesn't matter to me.

Tho, after reading the article, I'm curious about what's the P-T and P-V value for stock non-brembo and for the akebono. Time to google :/
The Akebono's won't work with the 18" V1 Track wheels, or any of the early 17" wheels, either.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:57 AM
dcains

Doesn't seem to be true, and I recall when the 370's first came out, a few of the car magazines had real issues with brake fade during testing, but maybe that was due to crappy OEM pads?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:00 AM
Osborn Wu

The Akebono's won't work with the 18" V1 Track wheels, or any of the early 17" wheels, either.
ehh my 06 oem wheels is good enough
Old 11-26-2013, 06:01 AM
dcains

You're fine there, and they look good, too.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:11 AM
Osborn Wu

You're fine there, and they look good, too.
yup, but i have to redo the dust shield cutting tho... it was done pretty poorly since I was in a hurry to get back to home (i picked the set up 3 and a half hours away from home and got it done there while i was at it...)

but back to the article, anyone has any luck finding those values? those PT cruisers are annoying....
Old 11-26-2013, 06:15 AM
travlee
Master

Doesn't seem to be true, and I recall when the 370's first came out, a few of the car magazines had real issues with brake fade during testing, but maybe that was due to crappy OEM pads?
i said probably, i think they got the fade due to over heating, i remember hearing that the 370s had problems with brake overheating
Old 11-26-2013, 06:15 AM
dcains

Yeah, I hate sloppy mods, even if I'm the only one who will ever see it. I bought a set of OEM Brembo dust shields (such as for a Nismo or GT model) for the rear Brembos, just because I didn't want hacked-up shields. Lot's of extra work, though, and ~$120 in extra parts.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:36 AM
Osborn Wu

Yeah, I hate sloppy mods, even if I'm the only one who will ever see it. I bought a set of OEM Brembo dust shields (such as for a Nismo or GT model) for the rear Brembos, just because I didn't want hacked-up shields. Lot's of extra work, though, and ~$120 in extra parts.
welp, i don't suppose the have dust shield for akebono on 350z lol

I am planning to cut it into a better shape than they are now in, and then smooth out the edges so they won't cut anything if anything happens
Old 11-26-2013, 10:51 AM
350ZZJoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have on 06 base model. I basically put together my own "Z1 Upgrade Kit" .. whereby I replaced my rotors with PowerSlot slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads and ran Motul 5.1 fluid. The performance increase was neglible and it didn't look all the much better.

I then picked up a used set of Akebono's off the marketplace and these things rock. I'm running AMS Slotted rotors, Centric Posi-Quiet Pads (original owner bought the Z1 kit), Stoptech SS lines, Motul 5.1 fluid. The previous owner PC'ed them a metallic orange and I added the Akebono decal + clear coat. They look amazing and perform amazing. I do track my car and after ~20mins on the track I did not experience any brake fade or brake issues, my tires (Hankook RS3) started getting greasy before the brakes had any drop in performance. Even though I've had no problems, I plan on buying a second set of pads to swap in for track days next season.

I run them under OEM 06 wheels in the winter and 18inch RPF1's in the summer.

About the dust shield... Use an angle grinder to cut it away where required, clean up the edes, call it a day.

Name:  IMG_20130924_163340.jpg
Views: 1891
Size:  109.9 KB

Last edited by 350ZZJoe; 11-26-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Osborn Wu

Originally Posted by 350ZZJoe
I have on 06 base model. I basically put together my own "Z1 Upgrade Kit" .. whereby I replaced my rotors with PowerSlot slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads and ran Motul 5.1 fluid. The performance increase was neglible and it didn't look all the much better.

I then picked up a used set of Akebono's off the marketplace and these things rock. I'm running AMS Slotted rotors, Centric Posi-Quiet Pads (original owner bought the Z1 kit), Stoptech SS lines, Motul 5.1 fluid. The previous owner PC'ed them a metallic orange and I added the Akebono decal + clear coat. They look amazing and perform amazing. I do track my car and after ~20mins on the track I did not experience any brake fade or brake issues, my tires (Hankook RS3) started getting greasy before the brakes had any drop in performance. Even though I've had no problems, I plan on buying a second set of pads to swap in for track days next season.

I run them under OEM 06 wheels in the winter and 18inch RPF1's in the summer.

About the dust shield... Use an angle grinder to cut it away where required, clean up the edes, call it a day.

So i assume you don't have any problem with the ABS?

speaking of which, i also need to change the brake fluid since i made the purchase pretty last minutes and didn't get in time to other the proper ones :/

i'm planning to redo the dust shield this thursday, i hope my friend's grinder is good enough

Quick Reply: Z1 Brake Upgrade vs. 14" Akebono (BREMBOS STAY OUT)