Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Help...Akebono brakes started squealing

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 05:20 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts
Default Help...Akebono brakes started squealing

Last summer I had the akebono brake kit from CZP installed on my 07 350z. Stop tech drilled/slotted rotors were installed also and the pads are centric posi quiet ceramic. They were installed by a reputable shop and up until yesterday everything was 100% normal.

I was driving the car all day, some heavy braking, some lighting braking, nothing unusual. Towards the very end of the drive I was lightly braking (from about 15mph to a crawl as I approached a speed bump) and the brakes let out that infamous squeal. It did it again for the next two light stops. I decided to drive over to a long, empty street so I could stop and go a few times to see when it would make noise. Of course I couldn't reproduce the squeal no matter what combination of brake pressure and speed I tried. It wasn't until I decided to head home again that my car seemed to mock me and squeal just as I approached my street.

I found a thread about squealing akebonos but the problems and solution in that thread aren't the same issues I'm having. I know its not caliper on wheel scraping (I have 19s so plenty of clearance) and I can rule out the caliper mounting bracket bolt rubbing the inside of the rotor because I was there watching the install and saw the clearance myself and there was enough.

It seems like its either that typical squeal caused by the pad vibrating in the caliper except it was my understanding the shims and backing plate are meant to prevent this. Would pulling out the pads and adding some of that anti squeal stuff be a good idea? The other thing it might be is if the pad area is hanging off the rotor surface a bit, the rotor could be wearing the pad down but while leaving a lip/edge of untouched pad. Then maybe this lip is hanging over the top of the rotor and causing the squeal. Its been a few thousand miles since install so maybe that would explain why it just started now.

I'm hoping it was just a combination of dusty rotors, temp, humidity, etc and after a good wash it'll stop. It is pretty dusty at the moment (haven't washed it since the fall as it doesn't get driven much at all during the winter months). I really don't want to deal with a squeaky car so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Phenom; 04-28-2014 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:40 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

This has been discussed many times. The bottom line is monoblock brake calipers like the Akebonos or Brembos will squeal with light pedal pressure on the street. You can try different pads or anti-squeal treatments, but that's just the nature of the beast.

Go to any SCCA or NASCAR race and hang out around the pits. You'll notice they all squeal (even on fresh pads and rotors) and that isn't due to a lack of maintenance! On the other hand, when you're laying on the pedal at high speeds, you'll notice very, little, if any, squeal. So rather than worry, just get used to it and wear the squeal like a badge of honor.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:16 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

If that bothers you take out those ceramic pads and go with hawk hps pads. It worked for me when I did. I have Akebonos too with StopTech slotted and drilled from CZP as well
Old 04-28-2014, 12:25 PM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

mine do too, just turn the radio up or rev when braking.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:54 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Exclamation

Digging up this old thread because my Akebonos were squealing like a stuck pig in heat riding on a train. The reason: Hawk pad overhang.

In the past I've run EBCs without issue (track and street). I switched to Hawk HPS+ and they were OK at first then started screaming, squealing and grinding horribly after only 4 months, 1 track day and 1,000 miles. So I removed front pads and found the problem: the Hawk pads sit TOO high on the rotor and thus overhang. As you can see in the attached picture the pads have a lip or edge on them. Inside of contacting the rotor flush they sit too high. As the pad wears the overhang starts grinding on the rotor's edge making all kinds of horrible squealing sounds.

There is a reason why CZP sells special pins for these brakes:
These upgraded caliper pins are used to improve pad contact on particular pads. We've noticed that some pads, especially Hawk, will have slight overhang compared to other brands. These Pins will allow the pads to site down lower and fix the overhang issue.
https://conceptzperformance.com/czp-...-h_p_30107.php

For now I just grinded the overhang off (dremel tool to the rescue!) but as the pads wear the lip will return unless I get the pins linked above. Honestly this is pretty shocking and disappointing from Hawk. They clearly put the holes in the wrong place on their mounting tabs
Attached Thumbnails Help...Akebono brakes started squealing-hawk-overhang.jpg  

Last edited by JMII; 08-14-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:48 PM
coletrickle74

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

I just pulled mine off and found the same thing a couple Weekes ago. Except mine were Carbotech. Maybe it's something with the BBK and not the pads themselves. I just dremeled mine just like you did.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:54 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

I have an almost new set of Hawk pads sitting in my parts bin. Front and Rear. I hated them from day one. To be honest, I feel like I got better breaking out of a cheap set of Centrics.