Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Swift/OEM, Koni/OEM or PSS9?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 04:30 PM
goracerx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Swift/OEM, Koni/OEM or PSS9?

OK, so I installed the rear Swift with OEM shocks on the roadster. I like the springs, just don't like the drop. I'm debating getting Koni's and putting the stock springs back on. At the same time, i'm wondering if i'm wasting time, money and effort and should just get the Bilstein PSS9 and raise to stock height.

BTW, stock height is 2 fingers and with the swift's it's just under 1 finger.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:32 AM
goracerx

Tap, tap, tap ...is this thing on?

So I don't think I want to spend the money on the PS9's and then have to sell a spare set of springs.

I know the Koni's are twin tube and I've had a set of JIC twin tube that were too noisy. I haven't heard anyone mention this with the Koni's.

I've had a set of Tokico's way back in the day and I can't remember if I matched them with H&R or Eibach's but no matter which setting I chose I didn't like it. Besides that, it certainly wouldn't be anything as easy to click settings on the roadster as it was on the CRX. The PS9's have the clicker on the bottom, so no pulling off panels or drilling holes.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:05 PM
goracerx

Well, I think i'm going to order the Bilstein HD's because of this thread https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...-review-3.html. I would go nuts trying to change the settings and I don't want to take the touring out of the grand touring. I'm not sure if the Koni adjustable height perch's would work but I do like the idea of bringing it back to stock height.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:57 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,308 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Kinda hard to tell with your goals. If stock springs work for you, Koni shocks may work out great for you.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:50 AM
goracerx

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Kinda hard to tell with your goals. If stock springs work for you, Koni shocks may work out great for you.
Thanks for the reply. The only reason to retain the stock springs is the (perfect in my opinion) ride height. Also, if I don't swap now I can always swap them later for resale.

I won't be tracking the car. It's getting old, i'm getting old and I don't have and won't install a roll bar. I just want the car to feel more like a Porsche.

I do have a concern with alignment. Since the Swift doesn't slam the drop I am hoping I don't have to replace parts to adjust it.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:21 PM
goracerx

Update: I've only managed to do the rears. I was hoping to finish the fronts today. The rear OEM Tokico's were completely shot and i'm surprised they only lasted 30k miles. The Bilstein's nut is a larger size and you can't hold the rod as it's all threaded. You "need" an air gun for the nut. I can't remember if it was mentioned before but not everyone has power tools. It's way to soon to know if i'll put the OEM springs back on.

Tip: I used (synthetic) grease to slide the fork over the rubber and I used an open end wrench in between the rubber and fork to pry down the rubber and align it with the fork holes to slide the bolt in and grab some threads.