Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Bilstein B8 or B6's

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:13 PM
RaalZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bilstein B8 or B6's

Is there anyone who has tried either shock and can tell me what the ride was like? I bought an '05 Anniversary last year and it had Tein S-Tech springs with nearly blown oem shocks. The car was bottoming out on these Brooklyn streets and I didn't realize how blown the OEM shocks were until I replaced them with some KYB GR-2 shocks. The car looks like it sits almost an inch higher than it did before the switch. They definitely increase comfort-ability over bumps at slow and fast speeds but I preferred the lower look as well as the added road-holding ability sport springs provide, which has brought me to the B8's over B6 possibility. I'm at a point where I'd like some feed back from anyone who has used these specific Bilstein models.
Anyone out there????

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for coil-overs. I don't need them. I prefer the set it and forget it solution that these shocks can provide. I settled on these since the Koni Yellow reviews popularly state that although they handle great the ride is pretty harsh so that's not what I'm looking for either. My only interest is Bilstein B8 or B6 unless some other credible monotube sport shock exists that I don't know anything about.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

-R
Old 09-04-2014, 06:47 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

I only see the b8, b12, b14 and 16 listed on the bilstein online catalog...is the b6 even available?
Old 04-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Hotlaprc

Any more feed back on B6 vs. B8? I am planning on swift springs and new shocks.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

What difference is there between BILSTEIN B6 Sport and BILSTEIN B8 Sprint shock absorbers?

BILSTEIN B6 Sport: For a wider range of applications - with full payload and also at extreme temperatures - for consistent driving performance in town, on country roads and motorways, on short and long distances. The BILSTEIN B6 Sport is a high-performance shock absorber for normal and off-road vehicles.

BILSTEIN B8 Sprint: The BILSTEIN B8 Sprint was designed for lowered vehicles. This shortened high-performance shock absorber is the complement to suspension optimisation. (i.e., It is specifically designed to be used with lowered vehicles with shorter stroke.).

B6's specifically:
'Down to which lowering level can I go with BILSTEIN B6 sports shock absorbers (not shortened) in conjunction with shorter springs?'
Down to 30mm
That is what is typically offered for new vehicles straight from the factory.
Any lower and a shock absorber with a shortened stroke has to be fitted, so that the spring tension - which ensures the required distance between the car body and the wheel - is maintained, whatever the driving situation.
Otherwise the spring may slip out of its fitting and the vehicle will abruptly go out of control.

B8's specifically:
'Down to which lowering level can the BILSTEIN B8 Sprint shock absorber be fitted?'
Down to 50mm.
The ideal depth for driving dynamics is however between 30mm and 40mm; any lower and the driving performance becomes poorer again, unless a major adjustment of the entire vehicle is carried out
The following users liked this post:
RaalZ (07-18-2016)
Old 04-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotlaprc
Any more feed back on B6 vs. B8? I am planning on swift springs and new shocks.
If your plan includes Swift Springs (with about a one inch drop), you want the Bilstein B8 shocks.

Be aware you may need to add additional alignment components if you drop your 350z an inch or more.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:18 PM
Hotlaprc

Great info ... Much appreciated. I have seen reviews and posts where people did the swift rspec springs and bilstien shocks with no talk of alignment issues. I am ready to pull the trigger. I don't care about how low my car is ... Only how well it performs