Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

BREMBO brake caliper bolts TORQUE SPEC?! (NOT SPEC FOR BOLTS ATTACHING TO HUB)

Old 11-29-2014, 01:21 PM
sickZ31/Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BREMBO brake caliper bolts TORQUE SPEC?! (NOT SPEC FOR BOLTS ATTACHING TO HUB)

Anyone know the torque specs of the 4 bolts holding the front Brembo caliper together?? Did a thorough search but I'm just finding specs for the caliper bolts attaching to the hub..
My friend was helping me change the brakes on my car and he had never removed a Brembo brake caliper so he started loosening to bolts holding the brake caliper together! To the point that brake fluid came out of it .. anyway I tighetened them back up but I would like to torque them down to spec.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:43 PM
sickZ31/Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone? About to put the wheel back on soon. I tightened up the bolts pretty snug but I just don't feel comfortable not torquing them to spec.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:31 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

The simple answer is you can’t tighten these bolts in the normal way with a torque wrench. The bolts in question are “torque to yield bolts” they’re tightened down with the use of an angle gauge that stretches them to a state of deformation. This is a one time event and once loosened they cannot be reused and must be replaced.

Since brake fluid leaked out once the bolts were loosened, you have the type of caliper with an internal fluid passage between the halves. Brembo will not supply the special o-ring gasket or replacement bolts. They state the aluminum caliper halves, once going through the heat cycles of normal use, cannot be properly resealed once separated.

People used to get my dad to machine caliper mounts and other brake components. Sometimes they would mistakenly split open the calipers. I remember him doing something or other to set them right again. Check with a brake service expert in your town for some advice on this or maybe some regular bolts that will work as replacements.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:04 PM
Wietse350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first i doubted the answer of Jennifer but after a little research i've found out it's true.
Check below link, it's from a Subaru forum but i am quite sure they use the same callipers on the Impreza WRX and there they also mention it regarding the bolts should never be reused.
As a matter of fact, Brembo does not want people to pull these things apart.
Even when you buy a re-seal kit the O-rings required for between the 2 halves are not provided, no new bolts can be bought and neither are there any confirmed torque specs.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1600335

I would be really careful in your situation now as the integrity of your calliper has been compromised.