Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Installing your own springs? Here's a tip.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 09:05 AM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing your own springs? Here's a tip.

I just installed my Eibachs this weekend. I did a few searches on installation tips but found an especially easy way to do the front.

When you have the front in the air and the wheels off, remove the two bolts that hold the front upper control arm to the body. Having a Craftsman ratcheting wrench makes this a snap. Once you have the two bolts out, the whole spindle assembly pivots forward and the shock is very easy to remove and replace. Only took me about 45 minutes to do both fronts.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:17 AM
JimRHIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for the tip ... pending the driveway clears by next saturday, I will be doing my eibach install next weekend.

oh yeah ....
Please post pics of the finished project dude

jim
Old 02-09-2004, 10:31 AM
dnguyent

Does this method basically eliminate the need for those compression clamps use to precompress the springs? I'm typically a DIY type of guy, but I don't know jack about replacing springs. How about the rears? Are they much more difficult?

After you replace the springs, I assume you just have to pay for a re-alignment right? So $200 or so for springs and $60 for a realignment? Just making a budget for myself here...

Thanks for any input you may have, as I plan to replace the springs in the near future. I can't afford coil-overs right now.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:45 AM
ranger5oh

I am a total DIY'er too. Please if someone can help with this, it would be awesome.

How do you use a spring compressor?
Time estimate for installing all 4 springs?
What tools are needed? Jackstands? etc.....
Anyone have pics of the install process?
Old 02-09-2004, 11:05 AM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by dnguyent
Does this method basically eliminate the need for those compression clamps use to precompress the springs? I'm typically a DIY type of guy, but I don't know jack about replacing springs. How about the rears? Are they much more difficult?

After you replace the springs, I assume you just have to pay for a re-alignment right? So $200 or so for springs and $60 for a realignment? Just making a budget for myself here...

Thanks for any input you may have, as I plan to replace the springs in the near future. I can't afford coil-overs right now.
You need spring compressors when you physically remove the spring from the shock on a workbench. You wont need to use the compressor at all when removing the assembly from the car.

The rear springs are even easier than the front. Remove the bolt holding the shock to the hub, remove the bolt that holds the spring bucket to the hub. Loosen the bolt on the other end of the spring bucket. Put a jack under the bucket before removing the bolts and when they're out, lower the bucket with the jack. Pull out the old spring and put in the new one. Be sure to line up the spring ends into the grooves in the springs seats.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:22 PM
toykilla

i did not need to use spring compressors??
Old 02-09-2004, 08:16 PM
ZISBAK

Here is the link to my DIY when I installed my Espelir springs....
It has a pic that show how you can clamp the strut on the workbench and compress it down with the spring compressor...

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....spelir+install