Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Changing springs on coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 11:12 AM
ivanorcan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Changing springs on coilovers

Hello Guys,
So here is the deal, i was able to get my hands on a set of Ksport Coilovers for almost nothing. A friend of my bought them and apparently they came with extremely stiff springs and later he was able to get a set of nismo's so he gave the coilovers to me.

Now, im going to get some softer springs before getting them installed but i have a couple of questions regarding this.

I noticed that there are diferent lenghts of springs from 180mm to 270mm, how does the lenght afect the behavior of the suspension? I still need to check the lenght of the ones that came with the coilovers.

Anyone with some experience on this that can give me a hint? Should i but them the same size as the ones that came with the coilovers? remember im putting softer springs and by softer y mean moving from 750lb/inch to nearly 400lb/inch

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

PD. I have already searched over the internet for this, not only this site and have not found any usefull information for this specific topic.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:17 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Since you have the coilovers, you are in the best position to figure out what you need based on specs.

You need to look at the spring perch locations and the length of the springs you are taking off....then consider how much the springs will compress with the different spring rates.

The springs you have now are probably compressing about an inch in the rear and just a little more than an inch up front. (at rest)

The springs you are putting on should compress not quite 2 inches at rest. (maybe 2 inches up front)

The other consideration is available adjustment range. If you have another 2" of adjustment space for a taller spring, then using a softer spring that's an inch taller than the stiffer spring should work with no issues.

If the stiffer spring has you near the edge of the adjustment range now, then I would consider getting the same length spring.

For reference, I run stiff 6" springs front and back. (Fronts are 1000lb, rears are 700lb)

The front perches on my particular system could probably run a 7" spring but the rear would be a bit tight trying to fit an inch-taller spring on those perches. (Although I might be able to remove my helper spring for more room with a taller /softer spring)

You basically need to figure out where you are now, how much "space" you have on the perches and the difference in compression with the different rates.

^^This is all for linear springs btw)

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 03-04-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:20 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I really doubt the damper range is not going to work well with that much of a softer spring.

As far as spring go, start measuring.